4.0 out of 5 stars A blend of FPS and RPG
Published 16 months ago by Greybeard

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy it if you have Windows 7
I bought fallout 3 in march 14 to run on my relatively new laptop, the laptop has windows 7. After trying for a day to get it to work I've given up. I've altered the ini as suggested, saved the game to a separate folder on C etc but I still can't get it to load. I would recommend giving this a miss unless you have a machine with XP. Shame as it looks a great game.
Published 2 months ago by Keith Parkinson

4.0 out of 5 stars A blend of FPS and RPG, 8 Mar 2013
This review is from: Fallout 3: Game Of The Year Edition (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Only a week into the game but so far I like it. It reminds me of Bioshock, Metro and Mass Effect. The gamplay is one of talking to characters, collecting . questing and shooting. The graphics are excellent. I have not encountered any of the bugs that some people have complained about. I did download the 1.7 as soon as it was installed and that may explain the lask of bugs.

A couple of weeks further on and I really like the game except for the much reported freezes. The fix seems to be fairly simple:

Open up the fallout.ini file in: My Documents\My Games\Fallout3
Find the line: bUseThreadedAI=0
change it to: bUseThreadedAI=1
Add another line after it and insert: iNumHWThreads=2
This will limit the game to 2 cores and prevent the engine bug from causing the game to freeze.
If the game still crashes, change to: iNumHWThreads=1

Since making that change the game has not frozen and it sems more nimble.

The Vista Sidebar widgets keep periodically flashing up in the background when the game is running. THat is easily cured. Create a new desktop shortcut to Fallout 3 by going to your \Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout 3 directory, right-clicking on the Fallout3.exe file and selecting Send To>Desktop. Right-click on this new shortcut, select Properties, and under the Compatibility tab tick the 'Disable visual themes' and 'Disable desktop composition' boxes, so that the desktop is properly disabled when Fallout 3 is running.

About six weeeks later:
I've just finished the game. I really enjoyed it. I tried to install the Down Loadable Contect (DLC add-ons from the second DVD to get a further fix of the game. The installation hangs up every time. I'm running 32bit Vista. A search on the web said to reboot the PC in SAFE mode to install the extensions and then the game would run in normal mode. I'm pleased to say that it worked. It doesn't say much for the quality control in Bethesda to be able to distribute software that can only be loaded in an OS mode intended for diagnostics.

5.0 out of 5 stars All Time Favourite, 16 Jan 2014
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fallout 3: Game Of The Year Edition (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Fallout 3 is a fantastic game. It really sets the atmosphere of a post apocalyptic environment with all the different terrain, locations, people and monsters scattered around the Wastelands.

The game is absolutely rammed full of content. There's over 250 locations to discover on a huge map but along with this, you get all 4 DLCs which add even more content, places, monsters, levels, weapons and more giving over 100+ hours play time.

Running this on a PC at max settings makes the game look brilliant. Even though it's an older game the graphics are still fantastic and there's plenty support from the Nexus modding community which have photorealism mods to make it look extremely lifelike.

Essentially being able to mod the game provides new things to do, custom weapons, custom skins, effects and plenty more meaning you'll get even more to play around with.

PC Specs running Max Settings;

Corsair CX750M PSU

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase, 8 May 2013
S. C. Wix "swixeron" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fallout 3: Game Of The Year Edition (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
It arrived very quickly and it is a great game! Nothing bad to say about it. Had it a few months now too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A nuclear blast with a look to the past, 15 Jan 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fallout 3: Game Of The Year Edition (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Simply put, this is one of the best games I've played (right up there with HL2 even!). The Capital Wastelands is a huge open world providing many hours of completely absorbing fun. The story is staple SF stuff but the multiple quests required to complete it, along with the equally numerous side quests, make it satisfying enough. What's so impressive is the sheer scale and immersive quality of the world created by Bethesda. You can wander for hours around the Wastelands. I completed every single quest in the main game plus the 5 DLCs that come with the GOTY edition, then went in search of every bobblehead and every behemoth I hadn't already encountered, and now I'm finishing off the unlisted quests -- so far I've spent almost 170 hours in this game and have enjoyed every minute of it. The graphics are very good, if not quite on a par with very recent games. The voice acting is good throughout (one would expect no less from the likes of Liam Neeson), and the dialogue trees are often large and humorous. Also worth mentioning is the inspired retro design and use of music from the 1930s and 40s. The only downside is that it's a little unstable under Windows 7 (but you can't blame Bethesda for that, as it was created before the release of the operating system). If only all computer games were as good as this. Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Windows 7 problems.., 25 Jun 2014
This review is from: Fallout 3: Game Of The Year Edition (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I did not realise until I got the game that it was not compatible with windoze 7. Runs in XP compatibility mode and with a little tweak to the .ini file, which is easy to find on Steam.
Good game, I liked Skyrim, so I thought I would try this as it uses the same engine. Good Game

5.0 out of 5 stars New to games, 17 Jun 2014
This review is from: Fallout 3: Game Of The Year Edition (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I'm not really a gamer girl, the most i play is a few gameboy advance games and old PS1 games and some gamecube stuff from time to time, but after watching my boyfriend play fallout on his xbox i really wanted to play too!

I bought this last week and I love it! :D I use an xbox controller as i find it easier to use and i can play for several hours on end. The only issue I have is that it keeps freezing every now and again as well as in one spot, but apparently it's quite a common issue.

I really want to buy Skyrim and Fallout New Vegas when I'm done now, as I'm really having a good time :) I recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fallout 3 is one of the greatest games ever created, 12 Jun 2014
Christopher J. Cowen (glenville, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fallout 3: Game Of The Year Edition (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Fallout 3: Game Of The Year Edition is one of the greatest games ever created. The company behind it is Bethesda, who is headquartered in Bethesda, Maryland, i.e. the name. The game takes place in the DC region so the developers have a high degree of realization of how things look within DC and the surrounding area.

The game is amazing and with the game of the year edition you get an amazing amount of content, I would say at least 200 hours of gameplay. So if you like RPG's this game is for you. Fallout 3: Game Of The Year Edition comes with some additional content. This includes:

- Operation: Anchorage - Enter a military simulation and fight in the liberation of Anchorage Alaska from its Chinese Communist invaders.
- The Pitt - Travel to the post-apocalyptic remains of Pittsburgh and become embroiled in a conflict between slaves and their Raider masters.
- Broken Steel - Increase your level cap to 30 and finish the fight against the Enclave remnants alongside Liberty Prime.
- Point Lookout - Embark on a mysterious and open-ended adventure in a huge murky swampland along the coast of Maryland.
- Mothership Zeta - Defy hostile alien abductors and fight your way off the alien mothership orbiting miles above the Capital Wasteland

Thank you for reading my review, if you have any questions feel free to email me, I would be happy to help you with any questions you have.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy it if you have Windows 7, 24 April 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD, 18 Aug 2013
This review is from: Fallout 3: Game Of The Year Edition (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
the game is brilliant hours of entertainment only problem being the disc wouldnt be read once used once so after factory resetting my pc it took about 2 hours to get it to read :/ other wise :D

4.0 out of 5 stars Fallout 3: Game Of The Year Edition (PC DVD), 7 April 2013
This review is from: Fallout 3: Game Of The Year Edition (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Got this for the kids they love the fallout games there very happy with it and the price was good to.

Fallout 3: Game Of The Year Edition (PC DVD)
Fallout 3: Game Of The Year Edition (PC DVD) by Mastertronic (Windows Vista / XP)
7.47