5.0 out of 5 stars Review: Fifth Grave Past the Light
This time I thought I'd figured out who did what before I finished the book but yet again I found that I was wrong. As it turned out, so was Charley so at least I was in good company.

Published 12 months ago by Wai Wurrie

2.0 out of 5 stars Are we there yet?
Ho hum; another Charley Davidson book down, and once again I'm left wondering why it - and the series as a whole - has so many rave reviews...

_

Lets start with the good points; The continuing story [aka that hell thing] is explored a bit more and we are given more answers than we've been in any other entry in the series.

I found the core...
Published 6 months ago by AyJay

5.0 out of 5 stars Review: Fifth Grave Past the Light, 18 July 2013
This review is from: Fifth Grave Past the Light: Charley Davidson Series: Book Five (Kindle Edition)

Fifth Grave Past the Light not only kept me guessing towards the end, it also seemed to have more of everything than its predecessors. For a start and for all his fans, it has a lot more of Reyes because he was pretty much constantly there. And following on from Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet (Charley Davidson) now that he is Charley's neighbour he is in her life more than ever. Which segues nicely into the next thing that there seems to be a lot more of and that is hot steamy scenes between Charley and Reyes. I certainly don't remember the scenes being quite this hot in the previous books, but I'm not complaining.

in stark contrast there are also more departed souls than ever before due to the actions of a serial killer which makes for a crowded apartment at Charley's. This latest case is heart wrenching due to its sheer scale and made even more so when Charley makes a connection with a scared girl of six or seven years. This was the whodunnit that I thought I'd solved but hadn't.

Along with Charley, we also learn a bit more about what it means to be the grim reaper and perhaps the real reason Reyes was sent by his father. All the regulars are in attendance. Mostly Ubie her uncle as they try to figure out the case at hand but Cookie is delightful whenever she appears and the banter between her and Charley is brilliant. Amber, Cookie's daughter, may have had a chance to shine in the last book but unfortunately makes an embarrassing mistake when demonstrating her sign language skills. Charley's relationship with her sister Gemma seems thankfully repaired as does her relationship with her dad.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for Garrett Swopes following the trauma that he suffered. The same is true of Rocket when Charley is faced with something that she does not want and in that moment, I didn't like her at all. She does feel guilty and berates herself for what was said but the fact that it happened in the first place makes this the first time that I've thought Charley can be nasty.

As with previous books, whilst Fifth Grave doesn't end on a cliff hanger, it does have a surprising ending that practically screams "to be continued" so consider yourselves warned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Role on next year, 18 July 2013
This series just gets better and better. The relationship between the two main characters really comes to life in this book. Cant wait to find out if she says yes to the post it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic addition to the series, 22 Aug 2013
Smee (London UK) - See all my reviews
I absolutely love this series of books - highlighted by the fact I've read them over and over!

The author's style of writing is very amusing and I found myself chuckling away on more than one occasion. Charley's thoughts are often scattered and random but so entertaining. Her interaction with Cookie is hilarious, and the banter between the two is funny and heartwarming as they clearly get on so well together.

And there there is Reyes. What can I say apart from I need a son of Satan! He features much more in this book, which I have no problem with at all.

I cannot wait to see where this series will go so hurry up with the next installment please!

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than the last one!, 18 Aug 2013
I have read every book in the series. I thought the first four books were brilliant until I read this one. You don't have to spend time getting to know the characters again because it doesn't' feel as though you ever left them. The series is worth reading solely for the character of Reyes Farrow A good game is to imagine who would play him in a movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Need more!, 1 Aug 2013
Tali (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
It took me a while to finish this book, not because I wasnt addicted, I was! Simply because the last four books were read within less than a day and left me wanting more. After a few days of dragging it out I lost patience with myself and read the final half of the book in one go, and as predicted I want more to read soon!

I love this series, not just because its a great story full of action, suprises and amusing twists, but also because the characters are amazing. Even though there are many books out there with brilliant characters, its rare for me to come across a book that not only has one brilliant character but many. Charlie never fails to make me laugh, but Cookie is also a favourite of mine not to mention Uncle Bob. This series makes me laugh every couple of pages whilst at the same time manages to keep me on the edge of my seat desperate to see what comes next.

I truly hope the next in the series will be sooner rather than later, but I'll happily and patiently wait for continuation either way. Yet another great addition to the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have loved loved loved reading this set off books they have ..., 28 July 2014
I have loved loved loved reading this set off books they have made me laugh out loud on the bus on more than one occasion so I now get odd look when I travel I have been on the edge of tears. Witty funny full of different emotional roller coasters to keep you hooked, now on book six and pre-ordered book seven.

2.0 out of 5 stars Are we there yet?, 9 Jan 2014
AyJay (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

_

I found the core plot for this book more interesting than it has been in the previous couple of books - even though the mystery of the serial killer isn't actually Charley's case, so reader's can't get in on it and try to piece evidence together ourselves. Having said that I did find the ending rubbish and it seemed as though the author was making it up as she went along.

_

But the negatives still outweigh the positives for me; this book has been padded out with way too much inane waffle and forced attempts at humour, from the babble about Charley's bloody GPS app EVERY single time she has to drive anywhere, to her continuing obsession with naming various objects, and coffee addiction. In fact I'd estimate that around half of the book is actually just pointless padding that doesn't add anything to the series. Characters come and go for no real reason, new characters are introduced but they do nothing and are just background decoration. Background information from past books is repeated yet again - since book 3 the author has started to really go overboard with his. Also; the way that Charley's texts with Cookie are always fully laid out is annoying.

I also find myself disliking both Charley and Reyes more and more with each book; She is selfish, always antagonize people for no reason, will shove everyone aside for Rees, and doesn't think twice about placing friends in dangerous situations. He is controlling and manipulative, with serious anger issues.

I've said it before and now I'll say it again; Charley's and Reyes relationship is as shallow as they come - Reyes pushes and shoves Charley around, threatens to kill her, her family and friends, but he is a rich hunk so it's fine. The author has yet to show me anything that is good and/or healthy about this relationship

And Charley's been going on about her evil stepmother for 5 books now, but hasn't shown readers anything to account for her attitude and past behaviour that can't be reasonably explained.

_

I'm not sure why I've not given up on this series yet - I think that I'm only continuing to find out if my hunch that Reyes is somehow mentally controlling Charley is correct... Surely the author doesn't seriously think that this abusive alpha crap is sexy and romantic?

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 4 Jun 2014
What a wonderful series Darynda has written.

You get a real feel for her characters and feel for them all the way and I guessed wrong about the bad guy right there with Charley.

Fabulous read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 13 Mar 2014
Number six can't come out quick enough. I absolutely love this series very well written and funny. A deservingly big fat five stars. 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

5.0 out of 5 stars I love these book, 13 Mar 2014
I hope she say yes I can't wait for next book to come can't believe I have to wait till may.