"Takedown Twenty" by Janet Evanovich is twentieth title in her worldwide popular Stephanie Plum series in which readers, her fans specifically, will enjoy her adventures while resolving not one, but two cases.

Published 16 months ago by Denis Vukosav

1.0 out of 5 stars shockingly bad
Every year I vow to give up reading the Stephanie Plum series, and every year I read the next one to find myself hugely disappointed. My teenage daughter loves the series and requested the book for Christmas. She loved it. I didn't.

Published 14 months ago by Mrs. K. A. Wheatley

1.0 out of 5 stars shockingly bad, 5 Jan. 2014
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

I think this is the weakest book of the whole series. The crime element was very poorly written. It seemed very hasty and ill conceived. Even the love triangle element fizzled out in this volume. The incidental characters were all bland and cartoonish, which leaves nothing much of anything left to say. Evanovich has written herself into a corner. The characters are nothing but caricatures, nothing happens to move them on in terms of plot or growth and in trying to maintain the status quo the books have lost all their spark, all their charm and anything that made them a delight to read.

2.0 out of 5 stars same old, same old, 7 Dec. 2013
Mrs. Cathryn Ms Whitehead "bookworm" (skegness, lincs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Takedown Twenty (Stephanie Plum Book 20) (Kindle Edition)
Well, think it might be time to move on the storyline. How long can one cheap date keep stringing along two guys and stuffing her face with bad food? Not even the presence of a giraffe could lift this tale out of the doldrums.

3.0 out of 5 stars Like It But Not a Lot, 15 Jan. 2014
I have read all the books in this series and am beginning to wonder how much loner they can go on. I suppose for as long as people like me will go on buying them but they are starting to seem a bit tired.
Regular readers like me will buy it and I would encourage anyone who hasn't read anything by this author to read the first few in the series.
Whether I will buy number 21 when it comes along well, I just don't know.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lost it's spark, 26 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Takedown Twenty (Stephanie Plum Book 20) (Kindle Edition)
I love the Stephanie Plum series and look forward to reading every book that comes out but this one I found really disappointing. My favourite things in the book have always been the humour and the interaction between Stephanie, Joe and Ranger. In this book I found it all really boring and was very disappointed. The newer books haven't been as good as the earlier ones but with this book I struggled to even read it through. There wasn't enough interaction between Stephanie and the men in her life and the comedy just wasn't there. Even the mystery of Sunny seemed forced and the ending felt as though it had just been slotted in to end the book rather than worked in to the plot. Kevin felt like he was forced in to the story to add comedy but he seemed pointless and the comedy just wasn't there. Hopefully the next book will be better but this was the worst one I've read from the series. I would still recommend that people read the Stephanie plum series but this one didn't hold my interest.

2.0 out of 5 stars TIME UP!, 26 Dec. 2013
F. Johnstone (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
I've been a huge fan of Janet Evanovich and Stephanie Plum but I think that the time is up on how far or how long the series can continue on for. Although the book makes fairly entertaining reading it didn't come across as anything special and was just another series of mishaps, rescues and who is going to be chosen by Stephanie. Usually I am the first to buy the new book but this time I asked for it for a Christmas present which shows that I am not as enthusiastic to read them as I used to be.
Read the earlier ones in the series they are laugh out loud funny and have a good storyline, unfortunately this is now lacking in the recent ones.

2.0 out of 5 stars Again..., 2 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Takedown Twenty (Stephanie Plum Book 20) (Kindle Edition)
I have been a devoted fan of these books for a long time now. They are funny, easy to read and even sexy at times but enough is enough. After twenty books with basically exactly the same storyline I am starting to resent having to pay ten pounds a pop for the latest instalment. The scenes between Stephanie and Ranger or Stephanie and Morelli have lost all magic replaced instead by totally exhaustive soliloquies about misplaced religious guilt over how she is living her life. While this was interesting for maybe two books, I'm starting to wonder why Stephanie doesn't just man up and pick. Evanovich has left me with the overwhelming feeling that she has no idea how to end this series but end it she must. Because right now she is pushing it into the grave. No one cares about the crimes or the bounties anymore, all I want to now is WHICH ONE?!

2.0 out of 5 stars did not enjoy, 18 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Takedown Twenty (Stephanie Plum Book 20) (Kindle Edition)
I have read all other 19 Stephanie Plum books and couldn't wait for this one. But its not up to the quality of the others its bland has a weak story line and I thought it was a poor effort.

2.0 out of 5 stars Takedown Twenty, 13 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Takedown Twenty (Stephanie Plum Book 20) (Kindle Edition)
Not nearly as good as I had hoped. Stephanie seems tired and not much fun anymore. What a great shame.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stephanie's adventures continue to offer great entertainment to her fans, 20 Nov. 2013

The story continues one day after the story from previous title ended, with our known bounty hunter hero Stephanie is trying to catch influential Salvatore "Uncle Sunny" Sunucchi, one from whom everyone is afraid of. He escaped after being charged with murder running over some guy multiple times but the problem is that no one wants to turn him in.
What is somewhat tragicomic situation is that familiar policeman Joe Morelli have family connections with him because Sunny is his godfather.
Morelli wouldn't allow that to affect his professionalism, but some other family members don't share his opinion...

The second case Stephanie will be involved is solving the case of one strange death. Ranger whose client's mother was killed asked Stephanie to help him and they two, together with Stephanie's Grandma Mazur who knew poor woman from bingo sessions, will try to catch the killer...

"Takedown Twenty" is a new installment in the known series of novels that readers enjoy for many years, which usually succeeds to avoid most clichés offering entertaining and unconventional stories.
This time also Janet didn't miss to surprise (maybe even shock) her audience because, among other (un)believable things that can be found inside, this time there's also a giraffe as a character.
The author's latest part may not be as humorous as some previous, but still offers a lot of good action putting Stephanie into some thrilling situations, but also usual mystery, references to pop culture and unavoidable crazy twists and turns that are characteristic for Evanovich series.

These are all reasons why this together with all the previous installments Stephanie's fans will surely love, hence the recommendation to read it can go to all the existing fans, but also for those who want a little different main character and storyline that is not usually encountered these days.

3.0 out of 5 stars So very disappointed with this book, 25 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Takedown Twenty (Stephanie Plum Book 20) (Kindle Edition)
Really disappointed, the book felt like it had been written in a hurry.

Grandma Mazur gems not there like in previous books, interaction with Ranger was mostly limited to "babe" and putting the phone down. Morelli and Bella dialogue repetitive. Lula wasn't even funny :-(

I love Stephanie Plum books, not for the capers but for the side splitting humour that has me laughing out loud. This just didn't deliver. Hopefully the next one will be up to Janet Evanovich's usual standard.

Takedown Twenty (Stephanie Plum Book 20)