5.0 out of 5 stars A greal sequel
Great to read about Daniel McEvoy again. Tremendous humour, as you'd expect from Eoin Colfer and a welcome sequel. Mrs NM
Published 6 months ago by Mrs N Mitra

3.0 out of 5 stars Average
Not as good a Eoin's other books. Altough quite entertaining in places, it was quite hard work to read. There was a temptation to skip read some parts to get back to the main plot.
Published 19 months ago by R Harris

4.0 out of 5 stars American flavoured Irish hardass, 2 Jun 2013
This review is from: Screwed (Kindle Edition)
Haven't read the first in this series, but having read this one I'll remedy that. Mightily entertaining, and what more can you ask?

3.0 out of 5 stars Average, 26 May 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars What an amazing book, 24 May 2013
This review is from: Screwed (Kindle Edition)
A great sequel by a master author a must read for anyone who actually has taste in books, nearly better than the first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 Nov 2014
This review is from: Screwed (Paperback)
Great book, sent fast, 2 days after ordering.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing overall, 22 Aug 2013
col2910 (Bedfordshire,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Screwed (Hardcover)
Synopsis/blurb........
Ex-army sergeant Daniel McEvoy is ready to say goodbye New Jersey's lawless underworld and concentrate on his new life as club owner and bona fide boyfriend. But when he's abducted and driven into the Hudson by a vengeful crime boss, he realises that the New Jersey underworld isn't ready to say goodbye to him.
If Dan is to survive, he will have to evade bad guys on both sides of the law and find the missing aunt who once taught him how to handle boobs.
Eoin Colfer, author of the Artemis Fowl novels, turns his outstanding talent to a world as criminally funny as it is dark and compelling.
Well I had been looking forward to this for a few months now, having lapped up the first Colfer crime caper, Plugged when it came out back in 2011. Plugged introduced us to Daniel McEvoy and his small circle of friends, Zeb, Sofia, Jason and Ronelle. Fast, fun and fresh it was one of my best reads of 2011.
Second time around for McEvoy and the gang and I was bored and unimpressed for the most part. I can typically gauge my gut reaction to how a book is going by the speed at which I read it. This was 310 pages long and it took me a week or thereabouts to get to the halfway point. Never a good sign.
Yesterday morning, on page 164 Colfer has McEvoy musing ......"If it was up to me, I would throw in the towel right now and spare myself the rest of this s***** day." Spooky how at that particular moment in time I couldn't have felt any closer to Daniel!
However, being made of sterner stuff I cracked on and it improved enough for me to knock off the remaining half of the book yesterday morning and evening. There were a few chuckles to be had and some enjoyable passages, particularly when McEvoy was at the mercy of the dodgy cops, Fortz and Krieger and also when he dealt with Freckles and Shea-ster. These glimpses of sunshine alone weren't sufficient to overcome what was for me a dull and uninspiring book.
McEvoy in the two years since I read the last outing is in exactly the same place emotionally as he was before. We have the same flashbacks and memories of his abusive father and difficult childhood. He has the same relationship issues with his delusional on/off (or never on to be more accurate) "girlfriend" Sofia. He shares the same tired banter with his irritating friend Zeb and his nemesis Mike is still on the scene. Colfer puts McEvoy into situations with firearms that you know won't result in him taking decisive action which could have concluded the book a hundred pages earlier.....why not?
In the final analysis, I was deeply disappointed having expected much more. I haven't been put off Colfer totally and I would read him again but not with the same cast of characters.
Oscillating between scoring it a 2 and a 3. Disappointment prevails 2 from 5
I borrowed my copy from my local library.

Screwed