5.0 out of 5 stars Creepy
Published on 5 Mar 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars A good read, but not a brilliant one
I didn't enjoy this as much as other Gillian White books. It seemed a slow and meandering read that didn't really pull together some of the charachters and storylines.
Published on 7 Jan 2005 by Jules

5.0 out of 5 stars Creepy, 5 Mar 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Sleeper (Paperback)
This story is misleading! It begins (as most stories do) with a set situation when suddenly, the second chapter changes to one featuring a different sequence of events which appear entirely unconnected to the first. I must admit that this made me lose interest a little bit, but I kept on reading as I hate to give up so easily. I'm glad I did! The story unfolds and only very gradually (with tiny glimpses and clues) is the reader able to make connections between events and characters. Only then does the awful truth dawn! The story centres on Violet, a spiritualist medium, who spends Christmas every year with her son and his wife, Clover, whom Violet has never really liked. Strange events begin to take place when, in the middle of a bad snowstorm, the electricity goes off. Not least is the body discovered floating in the flooded cellar. Is it true that "Granny" (as Violet is known to her family) is trying to murder Clover whilst the lights are off? And what is the connection with Miss Bates, the missing resident of an old peoples' retirement home and the obnoxious Mr & Mrs Tarbuck who are the proprietors? And is Diana, Clover's best friend, really on the level, or is it Clover's husband she desires?
Gillian White has very cleverly made events seem, on the surface, to be very straightforward. However, as long-hidden, dark secrets unfold, it is quite clear that this is not the case. This serves to give the book a very creepy feel to it. I found that, once I had read the first couple of chapters, I was unable to put this book down as it was so enjoyably unnerving.

4.0 out of 5 stars Compulsive reading, elements of Hitchcock in the train mystery, 3 Aug 2013
K. J. Noyes "Katy Noyes" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Sleeper (Paperback)
One of those books that starts one way and finishes another, a bit like From Dusk til Dawn, but without the vampires.

A woman, Lara, bored with her quiet life in Cornwall and marriage to the lovely but dull Sam, takes a job that requires weekly commutes on an overnight sleeper train to London. She meets new friends, succeeds at her job, meets someone she can't help being attracted to.

It starts as Hitchcockian suspense, I held high hopes - I love his train thrillers. And it does keep you intrigued. Lara is mostly likeable, certainly sympathetic, though we know there's a secret or two hidden that have led her ton settle for dull but sweet Sam and to having such a poisonous relationship with Olivia, her sister.

I really liked the way, just as things were happening and you wanted to follow Lara, you couldn't. A minor character suddenly takes over the narrative, and ultimately a great portion of the sympathy and story. This was cleverly done.

It was the ending really that, not disappointing, just didn't seem to be as knockout as the start promised. A 'bad guy' there is, but his role seemed a bit stereotypical, and underused, it all seems over too quickly.

Thrillers aren't a genre I read many of. And so I don't have the experience to say how this one measures up against them. I know I enjoyed it, wanted to keep reading and found elements of it very clever and intense, but it could have ended with a bit more of a kick.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sleep I lost!, 5 July 2013
This review is from: The Sleeper (Paperback)
Over the years I feel that I have come know, in a good way, what to expect when reading an Emily Barr novel, The Sleeper, however, changed all that! The story about a wife who gets on a train but never gets gets off taps into real emotions from the perspective of characters you believe in. The writing is intelligent, dark and always compelling. The Sleeper is a fantastic thriller that kept me awake for hours and is still playing in my head like a movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book!, 12 Oct 2013
Sally Trembath (Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sleeper (Kindle Edition)
I saw this book on a stand in the Falmouth Bookseller and although I had not heard of Emily Barr before, I bought it - without great expectations. How wrong I was. I'm so pleased I did buy it! It was a very good read, perhaps especially enjoyable as I live in Falmouth, where our main character lived with her husband and many of the places mentioned in the book are known to me. I even popped round the corner to see exactly where she lived! The characters were varied and interesting, the story moved at quite a pace. Things did become a little unbelievable towards the end, with all loose ends obviously needing to be tied up, but I will certainly be reading more of Emily Barr's novels as I think they wil be ideal books to take on holiday.

4.0 out of 5 stars exciting mystery, 30 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Sleeper (Paperback)
i enjoyed reading this murder mystery but felt it was rather far fetched as a plot at the end. It started well but it was almost as if the writer was unsure how to end it.
However, it was a good read and I would recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Story., 15 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Sleeper (Paperback)
This was a brilliant book and made me sit on the edge of my seat all throughout the story. The end was unexpected. If you want to see what happens read the book!

2.0 out of 5 stars A good read, but not a brilliant one, 7 Jan 2005
Jules "policechick" (Hertforshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sleeper (Paperback)
For example Jasmine the nurse / schoolteacher was one of the main characters in the book with some quite strange characteristics. But there seemed no real explanation at the end for her behaviour that was plausible and realistic - certainly not one that intelligent young people like Daisy, Jessie and William would believe.
William and Sheila Gordon end up with two of the main characters in the book. I won't spoil this by identifying who but nowhere in the storyline does it really make you believe that the clues were there that this might happen.
It really seems that in the last few chapters of the book, the author has got a bit bored and just come up with an ending that is definitely not brilliant and for me, not even satsifactory.
Come on Miss White, after some of your previous books, I would have expected more......

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing. Again., 27 May 2014
This review is from: The Sleeper (Kindle Edition)
The latest in the series of Books about Lara's adventures in Thailand. But so so much more. Un-put-down-able. Fantastic. A "must read".

5.0 out of 5 stars Another cracking read, 26 May 2014
This review is from: The Sleeper (Kindle Edition)
Love love love Emily Barr books and this is another cracker read. Looking forwards to her next book now. Fab!

5.0 out of 5 stars book club favourite!, 17 May 2014
This review is from: The Sleeper (Paperback)
The Sleeper went down very well indeed with my book club - we don't often cover thrillers. My husband picked it up "in passing" to see what the latest book club book was about, and I didn't get it back off him until he'd finished it a week later: he couldn't put it down either. very enjoyable.

The Sleeper