Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.99

on 24 February 2014
I've never read any of Ben Hatch's work before but I'm so glad I picked up Road to Rouen following a recommendation. It is written in a very easy to read style as if done by the chap next-door, and the characters are so down to earth that you can't help but love them. It tells every parents' nightmare of traveling around a foreign country with young children, but done with such humour and feeling that you are laughing one minute and crying the next. Unpretentious and touching, I would recommend this book to everyone, and look forward to another which is ready and waiting on my kindle.
on 17 February 2014
Ben is portrayed as a complete selfish knob, (his words). why Dinah stays with him I don't know but women have this amazing ability to see the good in men, (mostly) and all ends up well.I would have liked to have been told more about the places they went to, after all, it is a sort of a travel book. I doubt I'll bother to read another Ben Hatch book though unless some one can make a recommendation.
on 18 August 2014
This adventures seems the kind of trip most people would like to try but don't have the courage to attempt. It was well written but I personally think that there was too much about the marital strife.

It was very funny throughout and we certainly got a flavour of French customs and a few tips for saving money at Disneyland Paris!
on 9 August 2014
This is a really funny book about a man writing a guidebook about France. Despite the humour, every single event in this book remains completely believable, and the main 'characters' are easy to identify with. All in all, a great read.
on 20 February 2014
The second travelogue by Ben Hatch has an honesty that marks it above other travellers tales.
A trip round France can be frustrating at the best of times, but the Hatch's manage to face its foibles with a worthy Gallic shrug.
By being honest in print, the author is not afraid to show he may have been in the wrong now & then (Ben's wife like mine is always right).
This slightly darker humorous book could be The Empire Strikes Back to "Are We Nearly There Yet?" Star Wars. As long as there are no annoying singing/talking teddy bears in the next book.
on 30 January 2014
Having read lots of reviews, from 1 to 5 star, it is plain that it is a question of taste, bit like Marmite. Overall I enjoyed it, partly because I drove my then husband and 2 kids around France a lot and could identify with places and events. Contrary to some, I found the family agreeable company. Maybe that is because they are a younger generation, but also I did feel there was a lot of love shared and shown. Generally I wouldn't choose this type of book so I was neither bored nor gripped. Recommended for recuperation (as was the case for me).
on 4 March 2014
road to Rouen by Ben hatch is the follow up to the excellent "are we nearly there yet".Ben yet again makes you feel like you're on a their mad adventure with them.it's candid and very honest.at times very, very funny and most of all wonderfully endearing.whilst reading their tales of vegetable museums and uncooperative donkeys to testing their relationship to stretching point it leaves you hungry for the next ridiculously superb adventure.it also makes you want to turn children into sandwich mules for the pure thrill.
on 19 February 2014
I can't say that it was unputdownable but it was an interesting read. I have bee travelling to France with my family for quite a few years and many of the things in the book struck a chord. This is not just a travel novel but one about the author having to come to terms with his own failings, non the least, being his lack of knowledge of the French language. Annoyingly, he seems determined not to rectify this and insists on his wife remaining their only translator. At 99p it was a good value read
on 1 October 2014
Very enjoyable but a little more travelling and a little less family angst would have made it even better. The encounter with traffic at the Arc de Triomphe and the visit to to EuroDisney, however, were absolute gems. I'll never look at a baguette again without thinking of their children. I also have to stand back in amazement (and admiration!) how the Hatch family managed to blag their way round France like this. That in itself must have taken planning on D-Day scale.
on 2 February 2015
Read this ages ago and never got round to reviewing. It was a light hearted and easy read, with some very funny episodes as Ben and his family travelled France. I specially loved them smuggling food into Disney. Having lived in Rouen many years ago, it also brought back great memories of the city and surrounding areas and I was able to visualise exactly where they were at times. One of the best memoirs I've read in recent years.