on 3 March 2009
I read this book a year ago and its ideas have stuck with me. In fact, I've found myself following the advice more than I thought I would!

The ideas fit in well with 'public victory' which Steven Covey talks about in "7 Habits of Highly Effective People". The advice in this book makes a lot of sense once you've considered 'private victory' i.e. what you're personal priorities are.

It's a book which made me feel somewhat uneasy in places where the advice appeared slightly manipulative, but with hindsight I'm convinced that this is a very well intentioned book.

I gave it 5 stars because I liked the sentiment and content, but perhaps the advice should not be followed blindly!
on 14 February 2014
This book is such a comfort for those of us that have had no living parents or working world mentors to tell us how the working world game is played. I wish I had read this book in my twenties. I'm now a fifty four year old ex geography professor. Since nobody taught me the working world game, I have made many mistakes and have suffered unecessarily. This book tells me how to survive and be successful in a professional sense. At least it equips me with the knowledge which I can choose to apply, or not, depending on my values, to become a sharp businessperson or academic thoroughbred. My only complaint is that Templar tends to repeat himself in the latter part of the book.
on 20 February 2003
I am bowled over, knocked out, flabbergasted, gob smacked and generally in awe. Read it yourself and you will see what I mean. This is my bible from now on. Now I know and undertsand what going to work is really about. I had always thought I was being efficient- and I was - but I had never considered whether I was being effective. It's a big difference.
on 31 January 2014
I like Richard Templar, his format works well but I didn't like this book that much. Some good advice but nothing you wouldn't know if you didn't work in an office.
Full of practical advice for us workers. This is a book has made a real difference to the way I approach my life at work, it's shown me very clearly how to get the best out of the things I do. I can heartily recommend it to anyone working for a living.
Good stuff indeed.
on 6 February 2015
I like these books as they give you a general idea of where you need to be to get along in this life,at least how not to shoot yourself in the foot.They are even more useful for young people who have not had the benefit of learning from trial and error. I think if you buy one of these books you are probably well on the way to being well adjusted, as arrogant types would baulk at them.At least it gives advice on how to not be one of these types and how to deal with them
on 28 April 2013
'THE RULES OF'................... By RICHARD TEMPLAR are a Series of Books that deal with various aspects of life - and all aspects of The Working Life.
In these books are numerous Rules that are spread amongst several chapters.
These are not just a list of Rules of 'Do's and Don't's, these are Rules that advise what your response should be to a given situation, or what 'your' typical attitude should be like - if you can remember The Rule.

THE RULES OF WORK By RICHARD TEMPLAR has 10 Rules or sections, each with 10 sub-headings.
The 10 Rules are:
f) Blend In,
g) Act One Step Ahead,
h) Cultivate Diplomacy,
i) Know The System And Milk It,
j) Handle The Opposition.

Thank You!
on 26 May 2013
as a teacher in place of work i found this book to be excellent and I have told all other teachers about it
on 16 October 2006
I got into a rut at work on every level, in particular my relationships with colleagues. This book showed me that I was breaking virtually every unwritten rule of the workplace. The typeface is larger than normal and makes for a really comfortable read and the book is so concisely written that the author makes the relevant points without going on with huge case studies that bore you to death. You can read it from cover to cover or just read the bits relevant to youl. The design of the book makes dipping in and out for occasional reference very easy. This book will change my life at work and sort me out - I highly recommend this book to others.
on 29 December 2009
This is one of a series of book that sets out various 'rules' that one needs to follow in order to be successful at work or in life generally. The problem is that following rules doesn't go down well with everyone, and even if you apply these rules to your particular work situation it doesn't necessarily follow that you will be successful. Many of the so-called rules are so absurdly obvious that they do not even need to be written down, while others are highly debatable. The problem is that people seek different things from their job - some are hungry for continuous promotion, pay rises and additional responsibility, while others are only looking for an interesting and secure job, with a decent salary. Not everyone wants to be CEO. The writer seems to think that any reader will want to follow his line of reasoning, and this is where he is wrong. This is the fundamental mistake of all books with rules in them - for many people it is against their innermost nature to follow set rules. Indeed, there is plenty of evidence to indicate that success in life comes from adaptability to different circumstances rather than following a fixed set of rules religiously. I would not recommend buying this book if you are expecting to find a source of inspiration. Look elsewhere.