5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with the results - cheap and easy
Having been disappointed with Label Flash that came with a previous drive I opted for this external drive that is Lightscribe compatible and was the cheapest I could get. It seems that the internal drives with Lightscribe were more expensive.
Published 17 months ago by Silverfrog

3.0 out of 5 stars Externl lightscribe
It does not do what it says on the tin I am finding it very hard to work with windows 8 I will just have to persevere
Published 17 months ago by Mr. E. C. Norman

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with the results - cheap and easy, 1 July 2013
Silverfrog (Leeds UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: USB 2.0 External DVD RW CD RW LIGHTSCRIBE Burner Drive For Netbook / PC /Laptop / and Mac (Electronics)
I tried some Verbatim CD-R discs to burn some photos on and went to the official LIghtscribe website to download a free application for templates. They were very easy to add text and photos to and the results are very impressive. Etching text and photos using Lightscribe on the top side of discs (i.e. the reverse side from the data side) came out very well indeed and took around 20-25 minutes to create. All in all i'm very pleased with the results and would recommend this to anyone wanting to create more of a professional look for any CD's or DVD's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great on Mac OS-X (10.6.8), 30 Mar 2013
N. Welch (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
Very, very pleased with this external DVD burner (which to my amazement arrived the very next morning after placing the order). It came with a small note/ user-manual explaining the setup and included a list of links for optional software downloads such as: VLC Media Player, disc burning & labelling software and Lightscribe drivers (more on that later), if required.

After connecting it and inserting the first DVD to test playback, an option immediately opened to change the device's region setting (which is set as region 1 by default), and the DVD player immediately opened and started playing without any issues, which I found to be both quiet and responsive, without any lag. Next, I successfully burned several DVD's using +R, -R and +R Dual Layer formats without any problems whatsoever.

In addition to the other good reviews and high ratings for this product, another reason for my choosing this one over the plethora of other options is that this burner also has Lightscribe - something I'd highly recommend to anybody who either takes their disc labelling very seriously and wants to add professional looking label designs to their home-burnt media, or if you're basically fed up of experiencing playback issues with discs after using stick-on labels or direct disc-printing methods. Lightscribe, on the other hand, basically works by using the burner's optics to etch the label onto compatible, specially coated discs, inserted label-side down into the burner. Its main limitation is that it's monochromatic but, in my 4+ years of using Lightscribe, I've found it to be the only fail-safe means of labelling. Using the user-manual provided link, I installed the OS-X drivers along with a basic/ free Lightscribe disc labelling app, and was also very satisfied with the results. Whether or not the full quality of Lightscribe burning proves to be as extensive as it was on my old HP (Windows only) model is something I won't know until I try it out with more advanced labelling software for OS-X, but it does work.

One last thing that I feel may be worth mentioning: As described under the Technical Details section for the product on here, the device doesn't require an external power source, and is described as having "low power consumption". Given that my previous burner connected via a single USB cable, I was initially a tad concerned with the user-manual's specific mention of this one having to be powered from two; both are supplied but must be connected directly to the PC and NOT via a hub. Not a problem per se, but simply inconvenient for me as I only have one USB port spare on my iMac, so I had to temporarily remove two of my external hard drives until I'd finished testing things out. However, once I'd determined all was working well, I actually removed the second cable and opened the OS-X System Profiler and selected the burner from under the "USB" list of attached devices, which shows you both the amount of current required against the total current being fed to it via that particular port. On my iMac at least, one port does appear to be enough and everything still functioned perfectly, but this will vary from system to system and I'll certainly power it from the recommended two ports once I've shifted one of my (numerous) EHD's onto a bigger hub and freed one of the direct connections. As I said, it's no major issue, but I felt it worth a mention for the benefit of anyone whose direct USB connectivity is limited.

All in all ... if you're looking for a compact external burner that does everything that it says on the tin, look no further. A great little device, offering exceptional value for money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little box shame about the instructions, 3 Aug 2013
This little gem arrived before it was expected, so that is one good point.

Packaging was adequate, a padded or bubbled envelope would have been better. The main thing is that it wasn't damaged.

When you open the box you get the DVD player/burner, a usb to 3mm cord and a usb to Ethernet cord. Oh! Nearly forgot, there is also a small sheet of paper with the title "Manual Content". Inside, on one of the three sections are the English instructions. You will be best using a magnifier to read the 5 points. If you're using XP, you should be ok but if you're using 7 or 8 you will need to plug the Ethernet type cable into the rear of the DVD player. The instructions don't mention this. In a nutshell, they leave much to be desired.

After getting over the rubbish instructions, it is relatively simple to install the driver on your computer. If you have Norton on as security software, it will keep saying that this software has loaded a problem on to your computer. Ignore this.

To date, I've used this device to transfer fifty of my CDs to my computer. I have used it to burn twenty compilation CDs of my stored music. In using it, this is a good little machine and at a reasonable price. I'm pleased with it and the operation.

Get one if you're considering it but remember that it has rubbish instructions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 21 Jan 2013
I have bought this dvd player few days ago and it's very good quality. It got good speed and burns really well. I would recommend this to my friends anyday.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value For Money, 20 Jan 2013
Miss J. Money - See all my reviews
If you're really into videos etc this is a perfect budget product. A friend of mine who's a "hobby" musician and song writer has just invested one of these and finds it absolutely superb for his needs. He's currently unemployed and it's a struggle for him to find the money to invest into his life long hobby but this really fits the bill for him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 20 Jan 2013
This product is very efficient and east to use. I have burned multiple CD's and games from the laptop in minutes. Excellent value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 20 April 2013
N. Davis (UK) - See all my reviews
Plug and play. Doesn't really get any easier and perfect reproduction. No need to look anywhere else or spend any more. Perfect product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little device, 24 Mar 2013
Device enables me to label the dvds/cds in a way that does not impact on the working of the dvd and machine (stick on labels can do this. Relatively cheap and very efficient

5.0 out of 5 stars V. good buy, 21 Jan 2013
Absolutely worth the cost! Really saved my laptop when the burner broke and is both high quality and easy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value Quality Product, 21 Jan 2013
I didn't even realise there was such an item. My daughters Sony Vaio is a lovely laptop but the disc drive is completely broken and a piece missing and it was going to cost a lot to fix it. This item provided a great, cheap alternative.