4.0 out of 5 stars Healthier food.
Very pleased cooks food lovely, easy to use and cooks food very well. Better than the previous model easy to clean.
Published 21 months ago by Trea Brown

Published 22 months ago by OEJ

4.0 out of 5 stars Healthier food., 17 April 2013
This review is from: Tefal Actifry Low Fat Fryer - 1 kg - Black (Kitchen & Home)

4.0 out of 5 stars A great machine, with a couple of design issues that could be improved in future versions, 27 Oct. 2013
L Howles (Littleborough, Lancashire) - See all my reviews
I got the ActiFry recently primarily because I've been doing Slimming World.

'Slimming World' chips are chips sprayed in Frylight and cooked in the oven. To be honest, they're acceptable, but they're not the same - the aren't really crunchy on the outside and they're not very fluffy on the inside. I got a bit bored of chips like that, so I decided to get one of these.

Putting it together was as simple as could be - I managed to get everything open and apart without a second thought, gave it a wipe down and away we went.

On the first night I cooked a batch of chips, some bacon and some sausages. I chipped the potatoes, rinsed them and patted them dry, sprayed them with Frylight (avoiding using even the tablespoon of oil because that would be more fat than just doing them in the oven) and set the machine off.

30 minutes later (there weren't that many of them - the book states 45 minutes for 1Kg), I had a batch of hot chips. They were much more crispy, better on the inside too. I was really impressed with the results because to be honest I wasn't holding out much hope that it would be any different to cooking them in the oven.

Straight after they came out, I tried some sausages and bacon in there. I put both in at the same time (6 low-fat sausages, 6 medallions of bacon) and added no oil. I was a little worried about whether it would cook the sausages through, whether the sausages would be too heavy for the agitator, and whether the bacon would burn being put in at the same time, but 12 minutes later both of them were beautifully cooked through.

Cleanup was relatively simple, though a few little pieces of chip managed to get through to the base of the machine and had to be wiped out.

I heard about a couple of issues with the machines that made me a little indecisive about whether I'd get one - such as poor build quality, too noisy, and the agitator getting stuck, but so far none of that has been an issue for me.

There are still a couple of things that could be improved, though.

- The machine is quite loud. It's not over the top, but it's noticeably louder than a fan oven and you can still, though faintly, hear it in another room.
- As a result of the general volume of the machine, the timer is actually very quiet. Luckily it went off when I was in the kitchen, but we both commented on how quiet it was.
- The controls are at the back, which means you have to lean over the thing to do anything - and there is usually hot air coming out of it.
- Speaking of the controls, the timer is a bit dumb. There doesn't seem to be any way to reduce the timer, only increase it, so if you make a mistake you have to reset it and start again.
- The agitator is quite annoying to clean. The bottom side of the agitator picked up quite a lot of debris and, strangely, it's hollow, meaning grime got inside it into the very small crevices and was quite difficult to get out. This probably won't be a problem for people with a dishwasher, but for those of us without, bear in mind that it's probably best to clean at least this part immediately.

Overall, I think it's definitely worth getting, especially if you get it on offer like I did.

Things generally take longer (especially chips) to cook than they would in, say, the oven, but in the case of things like Sausages, you simply don't need to watch over them, so you can better use your time. You can also put most things in the same dish and walk away, depending on timings.

Finally, for those doing Slimming World or wanting to be healthier in general, it's good to note that this does still work with a spray of Frylight, so you don't need to use the oil.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Gadjet I have ever used, 5 Sept. 2013
I have never seen a product like this one, its simple and easy to use. It is definately worth every penny, it produces healthy food, not just chips. I have even cooked prawns with the product and they were delicious!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love the Actifry low fat fryer., 11 Aug. 2013
Best thing I have ever purchased and easiest thing to use. I use it all the time. Would recommend this.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good., 4 Sept. 2013
Just made my first chips and they were utterly delicious. Just like chip shop but without the fat. Being very careful as all other reviews say this machine is very delecate but so far am totally delighted with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 18 May 2013
Have great tasting chips with hardly any fat, and so easy to do! I love it. I would recommend to anyone, particularly if watching your weight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential piece of kit for the health conscious, 24 Mar. 2013
GratuitousViolets "Ash" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When you see these things advertised, it's only natural to automatically assume this is a fad. But let me tell you, air-fried chips are no fad. They are the way of the future, especially in this time in our lives when being health-conscious is even more of a reality.

I love chips, and as a dieter, it was hard to really give them up. With the Actifry, you can have them again.

They don't taste as fatty, they still taste quite nice on the outside (although it takes a bit of a finesse getting them right if you like home-made chips), and they are soft on the inside. Frozen chips cook superbly in this, but my favourite is the sweet potato chip which is very tasty.

Unlike with a conventional deep fat fryer, when you have your chips (or other fried foods) with this, you can add all sorts of seasoning (like the pre-mixed barbecue or jerk spice jars) with a touch of oil and you'll have flavoured chips.

People who are on diets like Slimming World will absolutely adore this contraption, as your chips are basically free (the only thing you need to count is your oil).

Truthfully, although it recommends you use a tablespoon of oil, you don't even need that much, a little drizzle in the pan is all you need, the paddle will spread it and your chips will still cook without drying out (although it can depend on what you're having).

Tonight I did sweet potato chips (with barbecue flavouring) and southern fried chicken steaks at once in this - so convenient! For lunch, did some sausages for the family and didn't even need to use any oil because the sausages leak enough fat to cook with. So simple that you can throw things in, set the timer and let it do its job. I will mention, with the timer, cooking time can depend on factors like...how much is actually in the pan? A small amount of chips for one will cook much more quickly than a portion for four people. It can take a little bit of messing around checking and experimenting (as I did today) to get the timing right.

There are several other things you can do with this, and I haven't even scratched the surface, but for someone who wants less fat in their food but still likes food that is crispy and full of flavour, this is a god send.

Cleaning it is pretty easy, it wipes clean and doesn't really even need to be soaked or scrubbed (the pan comes right out). Paddle is pretty easy to clean too (it detaches from the pan), although oil and spices do stain it a little.

Definitely recommend getting one of these if you're a dieter and want to stuff your face with chips that are almost fat free.

3.0 out of 5 stars You'll need to be selective if you want to get the best out of this, 25 Mar. 2013
OEJ - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's clear from the wording and pictures on the box, and from the first-mention in the instruction book, that CHIPS are one of the target food staples for this product. Well, there is no doubt in my mind that you should only cook (frozen) chips in the Actifry if you have no other choice, because the result is not as good as the same type of chip cooked in a normal fitted oven. Some of the crispness is lost and they taste rather rubbery. The initial appeal of cooking frozen chips in a dry environment turned to disappointment and in summary I would say that chips and the Actifry don't make the best partners.

It's a slightly better story with potatoes though. A little oil is needed, and there's no point in applying more than the recommended amount. The general feedback from around the dining table was "Hmm - they're okay" and comments like that. Just 'acceptable', that's all, but definitely better than McCain frozen chips.

I also cooked some chicken nuggets and southern-fried chicken steaks - with conflicting results. Both of these types of food are battered and a lot of the batter (or breadcrumbs) gets scraped off by the rotating arm so in terms of presentation it's a thumbs down. Even children will look a bit sceptical when the plate is put in front of them because the nuggets look as if they've gone 15 rounds with Mike Tyson - 'battered' takes on a new meaning here. On the positive side however, the taste was fine and much, much better than the frozen-type chips. I have tried Quorn sausages (for vegetarians) and I couldn't really fault it - a very good result.

Because the food in the Actifry is liable to cosmetic damage by the rotating arm, making potato chips (i.e. from a peeled and sliced potato) might be okay taste-wise but if you put too many inside they are likely to get smunched up and look rather unattractive. I base this on regular experience with a vaguely similar product we own, the Breville VDF065 Halo Health Fryer. The Halo is a fair bit cheaper but I'd say that, given the right food to cook, the Actifry is better. We have the Halo and Actifry side-by-side in the kitchen and if we we are cooking potato chips, from now on the Actifry will always be the preferred choice.

The Actifry is a good product but you need to use it with food that can stand the 'battering' it will suffer in the cooking process. Fragile foods (like chicken nuggets) will suffer. On the other hand, meats such as chicken breasts, pork/lamb chops and sausages should stand up to the mauling and come out in reasonable condition. Bacon came out looking a little compacted but it can be re-stretched for sandwiches etc, and it tasted fine.

It's worth mentioning that the Actifry gets pretty hot and should be kept well clear of children; it's also very easy for a child to open the lid and within a second or two touch the inner tray, which would definitely cause injury.

This is a useful device that we will probably use frequently as a back-up oven for simultaneous cooking. It's also more cost-effective than a standard type oven as far as power consumption is concerned - I know this because I have a power usage display from British Gas (free, and very useful) and the £/min was about half that of the convection oven. It won't save time in particular, as cooking times are much the same as normal, on the plus side however there is no need to have it switched on for 5-10 minutes to warm up.

It's easy to clean and takes up little space. I'm not 100% confident in its long-term durability; it does seem as if it has been manufactured 'to a price'. One slightly annoying feature is that the timer device continues to bleep occasionally after the cooking has finished, the food removed and the power button switched OFF, so it's necessary to turn it off at the mains. No big deal but a niggle just the same. It would also have been useful if there was an internal light, but there isn't one.

In summary a handy and convenient portable oven best used for food types that won't be damaged by the battering they will face inside.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good, but could be much better, 25 Jan. 2013
T. Wagg (Wales UK) - See all my reviews
I have had 3 Tefal Actifry air fryers and I have to say they make excellent chips. They are versatile but equally they are not as good as they are sometimes made out to be.
The major problem with them seems to be that they were clearly designed (I guess by a man) for aesthetics and not practicallity. They are incredibly difficult to keep clean and although most parts can be taken of to clean it is often almost impossible to get to some of the places which need to be cleaned - especially in the paddle. However designed that wants to be sentenced to a lifetime of cleaning it.
The paddle is also quite brittle really. It could have done with being made out of metal instead of that cheap stupid plastic affair which, especially when it ages, is very easy to break (I know I have already bought three as spare parts)
Similar can be said of the plastic transparent lid. That too breaks far too easily in a kitchen environment and they are not cheap to replace - although a full range of spare is available on-line. The other regular replacement needed is the handle - which is all too easily unintentionally separated from pan.
The design of the filter is rather silly and that too breaks easily with a heavily used machine. The plastic just gets too brittle.
I suppose when you read this you will think I am opposed to the actifry, but nothing is further from the truth. They are a good idea - but they are not made of sturdy materials and if you buy one you must be prepared to get spares by mail order on a fairly regular basis.
I am currently on my third one - which has also now become defective. The 'vanes' on the rotor have disappeared and the paddle will no longer turn.
Unfortunately there are no spare parts for that and so it looks as if I will be buying another one quite soon - unless I can find something better.
I am just so sorry that I can't find any real alternative to making the low fat chips it makes. They taste so much better than those fatty things and are obviously more healthy.
My advice is buy with caution - and especially if it intended for regular use, be prepared to find a good parts supplier!

1.0 out of 5 stars Soft Chips, 23 May 2014
shieldsman (south shields) - See all my reviews
I've tried Rudolph, King Edward & Maris Piper potatoes in this machine but the chips always come out soft, which is a big disappointment after reading all the reviews promising crisp, fluffy chips. I've tried extending the cooking time, increasing the amount of oil, but still the chips are soft. Frozen oven chips give a slightly better result - slightly crisp. I notice that when I close the lid it springs back a couple of millimetres, but I dont think that should make any difference. Maybe this particular machine is faulty; in any case it is going back to Amazon.

Tefal Actifry Low Fat Fryer - 1 kg - Black