5.0 out of 5 stars One not to be missed
Published on 23 Nov. 2012 by J. R. Warner

3.0 out of 5 stars slightly creaky plot device
This is a good read - undemanding with some twists and turns to keep you interested. It is cheering to see the "older woman" getting some action given the media images of women that surround us. Clare Ashton is no great prose stylist and frankly I think she could reign in the anatomy lessons that are some of the sex scenes, that said this is an enjoyable...
Published 11 months ago by Susan Duncan

5.0 out of 5 stars One not to be missed, 23 Nov. 2012
J. R. Warner "Loves to Read" (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: After Mrs Hamilton (Kindle Edition)
If you love twists and turns, and surprises that jump out at you when you least expect it then this is the book for you. I love books that can't be figured out, that have you needing to turn another page to get just a little more of the answers that are unfolding .And unfold they do, in ways that you could not foresee, you will find yourself catching your breath at times and smiling at others. There are characters you will most certainly love and others you will want to punch out thats a fact. The main characters are delightful, both looking for answers to very different yet somehow similar questions. I gave it five stars because of the way it holds your attention, and has you concentrating on each of the stories of the main characters that is told while weaving in the other folks that hold some of the answers. My favourite character is Clo, for others I am sure it will be Laura or perhaps the women that come into their lives, but thats how a book should be, giving of it's characters that touch you and have you wanting the best ending for them .Another great thing about this book is it literally does take you to the end to find out the answers, and what are they...well of course thats not for me to tell, so get out of here and go buy it, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tip top wonderful read, 1 Dec. 2012
Telstar (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: After Mrs Hamilton (Kindle Edition)
Clo's life isn't particularly happy. She's an escort for older women. She also works at a patisserie part time to prevent her clandestine prostitution work being discovered. Clo hasn't had a relationship with a woman in over ten years. She doesn't feel she deserves one either. Not after the way her last relationship ended. What secret from the past is Clo hiding?

Where does Mrs Hamilton come in? No spoilers here, but life will never be the same for one of the characters after Mrs Hamilton.

Laura is unhappily married to Josh. Josh was her best friend from Oxford University. She married him despite both of them knowing she preferred women. She's also looking for her birth parents, the parents she'd never met.

When Laura meets Susan, a friend of Clo's, she's instantly attracted to her. The feeling is mutual. But, the past has a habit of sneaking up in to the present. What secrets are about to surface?

This is Clare Ashton's second book. Her first book, Pennance, was a wonderfully well written page turner. I wondered how she was possibly going to top it. I needn't have been concerned at all. She's managed it admirably, she's not only topped it, but as good as Pennance is, this book is even better.

After Mrs Hamilton is an extremely well written, fast paced story of love, family secrets, obsession, devastation, betrayal, cowardice and friendship.

The story begins with Clo, a woman betrayed by her family and made to feel worthless, and her friendship with Laura. Laura is an intelligent woman, a doctor, she's desperately unhappy in her marriage and longs to find her natural family. As the story progresses and more characters are introduced, it becomes apparent that each character is unaware of parts they are playing in relation to the other characters. As more secrets are revealed, the plot really thickens and begins to simmer away until the story reaches boiling point and the truth is revealed.

The characters are well formed, lovable, real and multidimensional, they all play their parts as if honed to perfection. There is an underlying intrigue throughout the book, which is trying it's best to get to the forefront. Little bits and pieces surface, but not enough to give us the whole picture, until almost the end. There are many twists and turns in this story and nothing is as it seems. Which makes for an exciting, nail biting read.

The scenic descriptions enabled me to get right into the middle of this group of friends, so much so, that I was fully immersed in the story and actually living it with the characters. Which of course, is part of the enjoyment for me of reading a good book.

There are romances here for the romance lover, one of which is a deliciously delightful May/December romance. A true pleasure to see it unfold slowly and tenderly.

The whole of this story is so cleverly and intricately woven together, it's like a choreographed performance playing out. Clare Ashton certainly knows how to draw her readers in and keep them there.

At the end of the book when the truth has finally come out and all secrets, betrayals and devastations are revealed and the hurt they've caused, I was shocked, stunned in fact. So much pain caused to so many people. But the book is well balanced with a subtle touch of humour and lightened up with some love for good measure.

Quite simply, Clare Ashton has created a masterpiece. She has not shied away from difficult subjects and has written with a sympathy and understanding as is befitting a good author. Her storytelling is superb. I was hard pressed to put this book down once I'd started. In hind sight, I would have started it in the morning and read it in one sitting.

While I was reading this book, I could easily visualize the story on the screen. It would make a good film or a mini TV series. Set in London and the beautiful Oxfordshire countryside, with the great characters and brilliant storyline, it would be my idea of a great lesbian film. Lets face it, there aren't enough good films either.

These characters and this story will stay with me a long while. This is a definite re-read for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't miss this one, 5 Jan. 2013
This review is from: After Mrs Hamilton (Kindle Edition)
This is a fabulous book, a real page turner that I couldn't put down. The plot is one that keeps you guessing and I found myself totally involved with the characters, wanting to hug some and slap others. I have read the author's other book, Pennance and that is also an excellent read. Both books have lots of subtleties that would be too easy to miss if you rushed through them and both are very well written. Refreshingly there were hardly any of the usual mistakes that seem to beset this genre of fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book with lots of twists, 7 Dec. 2012
This review is from: After Mrs Hamilton (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, it is well written with sub plots going on that keep you guessing the whole way through, the subjects it covers are different to what I would call 'the run of the mill' lesbian fiction which makes it stand out. Although I enjoyed her previous book 'Pennance' this one is far better, a book once picked up you are loathe to put down until you read the last word.

5.0 out of 5 stars So different., 24 Jan. 2013
This review is from: After Mrs Hamilton (Kindle Edition)
Clare Ashton is a real find. I really enjoyed her first book, Pennance, and this is just as good - although quite different. I found this really hard to put down and was tempted to start at the begining as soon as I reached the end. I will go back to it, just as I did with Pennance, some books are too good for just a single read and these two fall into that category.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Book, 20 Jan. 2013
Charlie (Harrogate, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: After Mrs Hamilton (Kindle Edition)
I read a lot of Lesbian Fiction, and I must say that this is one of the best I have read in a very long time!

I literally could not put it down. I enjoyed reading the story line of each character and it constantly had me guessing.

Great book, definitely recommend

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good read, 8 Mar. 2013
This review is from: After Mrs Hamilton (Kindle Edition)
After reading the first book by Clare Ashton I knew this one would be one I wouldn't be able to put down. I was right, great writing and so many twists and turns. Just when you think you know what is going on another part to the story emerges. Great read and would recommend. Looking forward to the next release by this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars After Mrs Hamilton, 15 Feb. 2013
This review is from: After Mrs Hamilton (Kindle Edition)
A bit of a slow burner, but picks up pace about half way through. Then the story really takes off. Very enjoyable and interesting characters. In the end a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 5 Dec. 2012
This review is from: After Mrs Hamilton (Kindle Edition)
Wow and bloody hell (hope a wee bit swearing allowed)!!!
Loved Pennance and love this twice as much. I just didn't see it coming , brilliant! Can't think of anything else to say about this. Just buy it you will not be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best read of 2013!, 11 April 2013
This review is from: After Mrs Hamilton (Paperback)
Wow... Wow...

Having started this book about 36 hours ago, it has consumed me for this entire period. Read this until 2.30 in the morning, then hurried home from work to finish it just now.

What a fantastic read. Well worth it's recent Goldie nomination.

Loved the characters, particularly Fran and Clo.

Loved the way it left you guessing/fearing the entire time (right up to the last page).

Loved the fact that it was likely that all the characters were in some way mixed in this big secret from the past.

Loved that the story telling was handled so well, the revelations were precisely that and didn't feel like a writerly (?) exercise in playing with the reader's emotions.

Loved the quality of the dialogue and realness of the emotions and reactions.

Loved the fact that while I have read some very good books in the past 12 months, I have a feeling that this one will stay most vividly in my memory for some time. In fact I am looking forward to having an opportunity to re-read this shortly, so that I can enjoy the writing again after my initial headlong rush to find the truth behind the secrets.

Loved the food - I want to know where i can get a treacle sponge ball.

I loved this book (if you hadn't already guessed!).

Not a usual romance, certain elements (if taken in isolation) would not usually be my cup of tea, but in the hands of this author have be combined to make a truly original, and superb entry in the Lesfic genre. Rather like Clo's shortbread.

Read it now, you will not regret it.

After Mrs Hamilton