on 19 October 2014
Lots of interesting content in here. It is much better than your average self-help book. It is well researched and the writing has an engaging style.
on 31 December 2013
Interesting read, however the constant references to see Chapter? is off putting as I want to move immediately to see the subject.Probably will be more cohesive in the second read.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book is written, not as I expected, by someone active in the self-help arena, but by an ex-journalist, ex-banker, now self-employed PR consultant. This is, I suspect, the reason it didn't read much like any other of the many self-help books I have explored. Robert Kelsey writes about his own life-experiences and his discoveries about how to overcome shyness and succeed anyway. The book is well-researched and well-written.

My main problem with it is that I didn't really enjoy it. I don't want to give the wrong impression here. It was quite readable, but it never really engaged me. I expected to finish this in a couple of days. It took me over a month. I picked it up now and again, read a few pages and put it down. And it's not as if the subject matter was of no interest. Robert Kelsey was writing for me and to some extent about me. I also work in the self help industry as a therapist so I'm always looking for new insights and fresh approaches that offer something better.

Apart from the autobiographical aspects, Robert Kelsey reports on the research of others and adds his own perspective to that. So the book is useful in that much helpful research and advice is gathered in one place - and it is very good and useful stuff. But I've just finished it and I don't feel inspired. I like to feel motivated and with a sense of `this is my next step...' when I get to the end of a book that is going to change my life.

Yet there are little nuggets and gems of useful, practical advice hidden every now and again. These are worth reading the book for. Part of my problem with this book is perhaps a personal one, though, and I'm not sure this did not colour my view of the rest of it.

Early on in the book (page 45) I encountered this:
"Techniques such as hypnotism instil no more than an imitation of someone else's personality traits. You're being asked to become a different person: someone no less foreign to the real you than the person you become when drunk."

I am a hypnotherapist and I've recently published a book on self hypnosis, so you can perhaps imagine my reaction to this. The above statement is just so wrong. I have used hypnosis on many occasions to increase confidence and self-esteem - with lasting results and no imitation of anyone else.

So I was perhaps overly critical of the rest of the book, because of this early misperception about hypnosis.
Apart from that there is much sound advice and useful hints and tips - especially for increasing confidence in the workplace.

The book was just a little too academic for me and the author missed an opportunity to connect with me in any meaningful way. But it's not a bad book, and I believe the author is genuinely seeking to offer useful and helpful guidance to those who are shy and lacking in confidence. I'd like to give it 3.5 stars but I can't.

From a practical perspective I would recommend something like Leil Lowndes How to Talk to Anyone: 92 Little Tricks For Big Success In Relationships just because it gives you loads of simple things you can try that you won't find too difficult; perhaps with this book as a next step after you have achieved one or two successes. But if you prefer something a little technical, rather than something more engaging, then you will probably find that this book is money well-spent. By the way, more engaging isn't necessarily better - just more fun to read and it may be that if you are seriously prepared to take action to bring about change in how you feel that this book actually has within its pages everything you need to make some progress.
on 9 June 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Well written and with a authentic/genuine vibe throughout, with short/succinct chapters with summaries at the end for quick recaps. The author candidly and openly narrates his own challenges and battles with being under-confident, sharing his stories and anecdotes. He explores key reasons for lacking confidence, self-doubt and then how to tackles them and how to turn them around. He further explores traits that make one confident and relates how to learn and grow.
A very good read, useful and easy to dip in and out of, and also relate to.
VINE VOICEon 6 June 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Confidence is often the missing ingredient one needs to be successful in life. This book is a quick easy read that delves into how one can develop more confidence. a must read for anyone in and/or aspiring to a leadership role in any area of life.
on 10 October 2015
Helpful strategies great book
on 10 August 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
What's stopping you from being more confident
Reading too many self-help books? This wasn't too bad as far as self-help books go. It wasn't the best or worst I have read In this genre.
It was reasonably modest in its claims and quite easy to read and follow.
He mostly gives his own personal experience of using the advice contained in other self-help books.
on 18 June 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Quite an engaging book in the self help category, although it seems to summarise all the different confidence boosting methods and systems already out there.
on 22 March 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book is written with a good degree of clarity but I would say it's nothing more than a summary of many other self-help books on the subject of confidence. So if you have read a few of them already, I would advise you not to bother with this one as it is pretty much a summarised repetition of well known psychological theories such as dealing with self limiting beliefs.
on 4 July 2013
I can only say it's OK but I didn't find it helpful. I have no further opinions about this book