5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant short films
I was lucky enough to catch this on the big screen and all the shorts are excellent! They were powerful, funny, moving and lived in my head for a long time afterwards - particularly loved 'Scrubber'! Can't wait to see them all again so have already pre-ordered!

Highly recommend you do the same :)
Published 22 months ago by AOB

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Bag of British Talent
Published 21 months ago by Tommy Dooley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Bag of British Talent, 3 Mar 2013
Tommy Dooley "Tom" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Joy of Six [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
This is a very mixed bag indeed so I will go through all of the six short films that the BFI have put together for our delectation. The first is `Long distance information' which is well acted and scripted and involves us seeing two scenarios on a Christmas day and a phone conversation between a son and dysfunctional father. Then we have `Man in fear' which is really good and stars Luke Treadaway as a man who is convinced he is being set up by a conceptual artist to die in a planned accident. Tim Healy plays the unconvinced copper.

Next comes the best by a country mile and this is `A gun for George' and is brought to us by the uber brilliant Mathew Holness who brought us `Garth Merengie'. This is all about a failed author who writes bad pulp about avenging his brother's murder by inventing a crime fighter called `The Reprisalizer', a man who fights crime on the mean streets of Thurrock in an Austin Allegro - just excellent. Next is `Scrubber', which is about a cleaning obsessed woman and her sexual desires to rut out doors - enough said.

`The Ellington Kid' is the next one and is a mere 5 minutes long, and is basically a kebab shop urban myth story- and is above average. Final offering stars Judy Dench in `Friend request pending' and tells a cosy story of older people using social media to hook up, and is fairly pleasant.

I am a huge fan of cinema and I know shorts are often made as a taster for better things to come and some often can be made into a feature length film, like `Hard Boiled Sweets' was last year. This offering is so patchy that the only idea here that I would ever want to see more of was the Reprisalizer one which I actually watched twice the others faired from tolerable like `Scrubber' to rather good - `A man in fear', so my advice would be to go for a rental option if you still want to see this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant short films, 10 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Joy of Six [DVD] [2012] (DVD)

Highly recommend you do the same :)

3.0 out of 5 stars the joy of six, 11 April 2013
Zilpher peckham (Braunton Devon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Joy of Six [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
it was a strange selection, each section was not long enough, mixed feelings but would not recommend it found them quite boring really.

2.0 out of 5 stars Confused, 2 April 2013
This review is from: The Joy of Six [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
I failed to see the relevance of these short clips being joined together. It struck me as just a ploy to invite the public to buy this DVD on the strength of the couple of headline actors in it. Very disappointed !

5.0 out of 5 stars Great British Shorts, 9 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Joy of Six [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
I saw this at the cinema. A brilliant collection of well directed and acted shorts. The best I have seen in a long time. Worth seeing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Birthday Present., 28 Mar 2013
K. Haylock "KDH" (Biggleswade,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Joy of Six [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
I could not make my mind up on the CD wanted for a particular present,the idea of three stories on a single CD appealed to me and as far as comment received it was also appreciated by the reciepient.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Ranking Collection of sweet SHORT FILMS, 9 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Joy of Six [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
All 6 films are great in their own way, this diverse DVD easily holds its own amongst the numerous mediocre feature films out there.

Give shorts a chance, buy this and do yourself a big favour!

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit too experimental !!, 7 July 2014
David H J Ashdown (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Joy of Six [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
Six short films ranging from five minutes to twenty minutes all providing a glimpse of how we behave in common situations from getting to grips with the internet to sexual hang-ups but looking at the situations from an off hand and sometimes humorous way. Some of the films make you sit back and think " Yes that's what society has become - and we're poorer off because of it ". Worth watching to make you reflect on where humanity is headed !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Small films., 25 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Joy of Six [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
I loved this DVD, a selection of well written films. Good value for money too.
I would recommend this to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars what a joy, 23 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Joy of Six [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
touching, funny, heartrending. as always Judy Dench plays a blinder. greatly recommended, but crack out the paper hankies.one of those films which makes you sad as you can never view it for the first time again. :)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Joy of Six [DVD] [2012]
The Joy of Six [DVD] [2012] by Matthew Holness (DVD - 2013)