41 of 41 people found the following review helpful
on 24 January 2013
Was surprised how thin and light this was compared to my 2 year old laptop.
Manage to get 6hr battery when doing normal work in Excel, Email and web.
Watched 2 movies when on a flight back from NY as well.
Great audio and really loud for a laptop with our distortion.
Video quality is great and graphics is really fast and sharp for gaming.
would recommend this for anyone on the go or for day to day use.
23 of 23 people found the following review helpful
on 24 April 2013
For one thing, it's a vast improvement on my previous HP which to say to the least needed some tweaking in its design and considering I paid substantially more for it speaks volumes. as for its successor it's a vast improvement! there are a few issues but nothing too scary.
1. I find its very well built/designed for the price: I know it's not brushed aluminum as you would see on the more expensive apple macbooks or ultrabooks, but the ABS plastic feels rugged, and with a little bit of care should see you through for a number of years. The hinges on the Screen are tight too, it doesn't tend to wobble while working. also the cooling system works a treat, not too noisy nor does the laptop get hot so ideal to work with on your lap. The keyboard is nicely laid out and isn't too bad for catching dirt. one problem i will point out is the speakers! they aren't great, although at this stage I'm beginning to think its the software hp use (IDT audio).
2. The hardware is solid: sporting an AMD vision A6 Apu the stats wouldn't be anything to marvel at if you need a powerful machine, however the processor and graphics are very good for what I need them to do, casual gaming, internet music and movies. HD playback is lovely on both the vivid 15.6 display and external displays . The 6gb of RAM coupled with the nifty processor make multitasking a breeze too. The battery will last you roughly 3-4 hours on low-medium settings while browsing the web, listening to music or watching movies, anything more substantial will make that about two hours. the Wifi adapter is decent too however there is no bluetooth adapter on this laptop, another significant item omitted from the laptop is a DVD drive, Most of you may see this a huge drawback but I think of it as a positive, As the laptop is so much lighter. If you use discs quite often then you can pick up an external DVD drive which plugs into one of your PC's usb ports.They range from 20-60 or 50 and up If you want to get a blu ray version.
3. Expansion: Unless You're a torrent whore (someone who downloads insane amounts of stuff), the 750gb Hard drive is plenty, As for the usb ports there are three, one on the left two on the right, they are only usb2.0 but since usb3.0 is a fairly new technology I wouldn't worry too much, as there isn't many devices on the market designed for usb 3.0. there is a HDMI port which allows you to connect to an external HD screen/monitor, perfect if you want to watch a movie on "the big screen", this laptop features a card reader too, so you can upload media from your camera or phone. and lastly the Ethernet port so you can connect to your internet modem.
4. Its running Windows 8: this may be a totally different experience for some, others may feel right at home, once you get used to it, you'll find it has so much to offer,and that you can make it your own very easily. You may have heard of the new start menu and although it is primarily designed for touch screen devices, that's not to say it isn't keyboard/mouse friendly. plus the app store found on the start screen really does add more functionality to the PC.
5. Support: The laptop comes with a standard one year warranty. a few weeks ago I encountered a problem were the plastic on the power adapter split, naturally enough I was cheesed off but I contacted HP Support, exchanged a few details and they shipped a new adapter free of charge. so speaking from experience there support team is very efficient.
In conclusion, this is a very good laptop, packed with loads of good tech, a perfect student laptop (despite the fact it doesn't include Microsoft office) and at a very reasonable price, Hp haven't always had the best reputation but this laptops is a credit to them.
3 of 3 people found the following review helpful
A disappointing laptop due to its extremely slow speed, which is down to a the AMD processor and Windows 8 not playing nicely together. Takes ages to boot up, freezes frequently and has been a very regretful purchase.
Apart from the speed, which is critical, it is very good - well built and functionally fine.
15 of 18 people found the following review helpful
on 3 January 2013
I really like this laptop.
its thin,good looking,VERY quiet and VERY cool.
the speed is quite good.
the onboard vga is excellent,the cpu is average,and it has 1600mhz ram that boosts a bit overall performance
the screen is also quite good,
the battery performance is beyond godlike!with this amazing amd apu the consumption is minimal.
the things i didnt like are the touchpad buttons that are totally crap,and the average keyboard.
also the worse thing of all are the hdd activity led that is on the right side of the laptop and its not visible from any other side.
be advised that it doesnt have an optical drive(didnt care though)
5 of 6 people found the following review helpful
on 20 March 2013
Bought this for my wife's birthday and she just loves it. Not just for its sleek glossy appearance, but also as its easy to use.
Came with Windows 8 which was a learning curve for us both, as I have been used to the previous well worn Windows format. In saying that I have quite taken to the new operating system, I think it will offer more that the previous as time goes on. Regarding durability and reliability it has been very good, but this what I would expect from a HP product anyway. Please note there is no optical disc port on the machine. This was required to keep its slim design, but poses no problems as I use an external USB optical reade write device when I need to use CD'S or DVD's, you also have the option of using the cloud.
All in all I am delighted with my purchase and as usual with Amazon's keen prices.