I've had two of these Beuer heat pads - the full back and neck, and the lumbar only versions - for several years.The most used (and the most abused), the lumbar pad, recently gave out; I thought it was the controller, but it turned out to be the pad itself, which promptly kyboshed the other controller (they are interchangeable) when I switched it over. So I've just bought this.

Mixed in amongst the high praise for the many different versions of this product are a good few condemnatory reviews; not enough heat, soon failed, etc.; but a few things need to be borne in mind when deploying them. First off, even with quality-controlled, automated mass-production processes, no manufacturer that I've come across produces 100% perfect products year after year; if you get a duff one from a major firm such as this, instead of wingeing about it in a review, you should demand a replacement or your money back. Amazon makes this pretty easy (although their system isn't 100% perfect, either). It's worth noting that Beuer offers three year guarantees.

The PERCEIVED heat emission from these products varies enormously for more than one reason. For example, if you're pretty old (like me) the heat from these pads won't feel as strong as it does for a twenty-something. (Older people can easily suffer burns unknowingly from, for example, hot water bottles, because of age-related sensory degeneration.

Secondly, much depends on whether you apply the heat to bare skin or through clothing, and if the latter, what kind of clothing and how many layers.

Thirdly, the greatest effect comes from firm, tight, overall contact, whether against skin or through a garment. A loose contact will have you barely feeling the heat at maximum.

Fourthly, the absolute maximum effect is achieved if the heat pad is trapped between you and, say, a mattress or the back of a chair - which Beuer used to warn you not to do, but which I always did anyway for best effect. However, they don't seem to mention this any more, so I suppose it was always OK.

Life without these aids at this age would be bordering on the intolerable, notwithstanding the availability of gel packs, hot water bottles and wheat packs - none of which can offer anything like the sustained, steady output of an electric pad, which can lull you to sleep in complete safety over an hour or more. I've also just ordered the newest version, apparently a heated cushion, from Germany for almost £55. From a parsimonious one such as I, there can be no higher praise
on 25 May 2014
This is the second of these I have had in 12 months. I have contacted both the UK distributor and the manufacturer but no reply from either. These don't last. I use it because of arthritis in my spine and hot water bottles don't work very well either.

I CAN'T RECOMMEND ANY BEURER PRODUCT AS I HAVE NOW HAD 4 IN DIFFERENT GUISES ALL BREAK DOWN INSIDE 12 MONTHS USUALLY BECAUSE THE SAFETY FEATURE TRIPS MAKING THE PRODUCT USELESS.

You can't get a response from the distributor or manufacturer....DON'T BUY.....
on 28 December 2014
The mat appears to be of very good quality.
First time I purchased the heat pad was at the beginning of September 2014.

This is something I could not do without !
Not a day passes by that my pad is not on, due to very low temperatures in my workplace.

It has saved my life several times, as I am very temperature sensitive.
I have been using this product very frequently and it has never let me down.

In fact, I think, it entirely diminished my flu symptoms on several occasions!

I have purchased another 2 for my mum and my mother in law and I trust they
Will too find it beneficial.

It appears to be hard wearing as I use it for several hours at time.
It heats up speedily and you can easily control the temperature button.

The only downside is that the cord is rather short.
I furthermore hope that the mat is built to last as some of you received ( I believe) faulty products.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My wife has been a slave to lower back pain for months. After a couple of sessions with this soft, comforting heat pad she is lepping about like a young 'un. OK admittedly I exaggerate, but she does find it soothing and definitely has eased the pain. I suffer from osteoarthritis and by wrapping the pad round the area get instant relief. Even if the relief proves to be temporary, anyone suffering those conditions will agree that anything that relieves the constant ache is worth while. Previously we used hot water bottles which are too hot to start with and soon become too cool to be effective. This pad has 3 heat settings so choose the one you are most comfortable with sit back and enjoy. Don't worry about falling asleep as it switches itself off after 90 mns.
The fabric is a soft and breathable fleece which feels good against the skin and as a bonus is machine washable. It is big enough to cover most areas even for the more portly among us.
A quality product at a fair price.
on 7 November 2013
I originally ordered the yellow stripy one, which was like a mini incontinence mattress in a pillow case, which needless to say I sent back. This is great, i have it by my feet in bed like a mini electric blanket to keep my permanently cold feet warm.
on 9 February 2014
I bought this as a Christmas present for my mum. She has a thyroid problem and is always cold even though the central heating is on full permenantly. She also has alzheimer's disease and I was a bit worried that she would forget about it being on. The pad has an automatic off switch and it turns it off after 90mins. The size of it is just right for her and fits perfectly between my mums back and a cushion. The cable is long enough to reach from the plug socket, round the front of the sofa and up to sit comfortably behind mum. The temperature switch is basic and easy to use which is great for us. The pad is machine washable but we haven't washed it yet so can't comment on the results of that. I think this is the best present I have ever bought her. she looks after it and it looks after her. definitely recommend it to anyone.
on 4 October 2013
Just right, soft, gets very warm and flexible enough to mould and helped with a dislocated shoulder after motorbike accident.
on 2 January 2014
I suffer from chronic back pain. Ive always used heat pads. This was a new one which after using the third time started smoking up and burnt out. Thankfully I wasn't asleep. This is so dangerous. I am totally shocked by this.
on 14 November 2013
A 'REAL' review not a paid 'VINE' review :)

I received the item today, bought from Amazon.

BAD
- Short lead
- Can only wash 10 times (manual says)(so no heating up any pongy feet in bed)
- Manual says cant cover with a pillow.
- HUGE scratchy label on it (see pictures)(could cut it off)
- Probably not 100% sure it would be good for medical heating (if you really needed heat)
- Pricey compared to a larger single electric blanket is £15

GOOD
- Feels really nice
- Constant heat - not going colder
- Timer to stop after 90mins (Manual says you can reset by turn off for 5 secs then back on - not tested)
- It is warm and cosy (similar to Microwave hotwater bottles)
- Reviews say its better than the ones with covers
- UK plug (some don't)
- Heats up quick
- Feels like a pet on your lap
- If it was on constantly 365day (Belkin energy monitor tested) it would cost £75 a year, so very cheap to use
- appears portable and easy to chuck under a blanket or bed. (not tested this yet)

B and M do a single electric blanket for about £15. more running cost, but hotter, and less mobile, but it put the price of this into perspective as a luxury product.

Please consider the Vine reviewers either got paid or received a free one (check wikipedia on this fact). Also all of them fail to mention any of the bad points, like you can only wash the item 10 times or the short lead. I think we can all draw our own conclusions about bias. :)

If you found my review useful hit the yes.
review image review image review image review image review image
on 3 October 2014
PROS

Perfect temperature to soothe arthritic joints
Great size for wrapping round back or tummy
Can be used on any area of the body
Washes well

CONS

They don't last

IN CONCLUSION

If this is something you want to keep in the cupboard for short term use when injured then it's perfect. It's not however any good for long term extended use. I use mine most days for long periods and they have both died within a week of each other. As other reviewers have mentioned theirs failing after a year and that exactly the length of time mine took to fail it would suggest that they aren't built to last. As a result I won't be buying this brand again.