Style Name: N300 Mbps + ADSL modem (2x 5 dBi antenna)|Change
Price:£41.45 - £286.34

on 27 March 2013
I intially wanted the asus dsl-n55u due to the NAS feature, but bought the Billion 7800n based upon all the very good reviews and the fact its almost universally recommended for broadband at long distances from the exchange which i have. With snr tweaking the billion got me 4mbs which was great for my line. long story short... poor wifi, wifi disconnections and admin lockouts. back it went.

I thought id give the asus a go. It shipped with the latest firmware. i loaded it again anyway just to be sure (twice, with the hard reset as recommended) Set up was a breeze. Checked my connection.... Boom! 4mb with a default setup. no tweaks at all! The range of the wifi is fantastic, easily beating the billion. I will attempt tweaks at some point soon, but im more than happy at the moment.

I've connected a usb flashdrive to my router and set up the media server with a click of a button. now i can stream videos straight from my router to my TV, ipad and iphone. it's awesome.

The only downside to this router is the documentation if you want to go anything further than set up the ADSL or wifi. It's not great and there's no where near as many forums covering this as the billion, but for £30 less and with the usb ports, 5ghz wifi faster adsl i know which i'd rather have. It's been rock solid so far. I know the original firmware wasnt great, so ignore the original reviews, its sorted now with the latest firmware. 5 star product without doubt!
on 25 March 2013
I was using an AOL modem router with two edimax range extenders. Trouble was that the connection kept dropping out with ipad and iphones, also with the smart TV. This was was a real pain. Having a large and old house with thick walls, that goes a long way back, didnt help with signals either.
This model took literally minutes to set up. I'm not a techno but not stupid either, but set up was no problem at all. It basically sorted itself out using the set up disc. This was pleasing given the hours spent setting up previous modem and then the range extenders.
The signal throughout the whole house is great - no need now for the range extenders anymore.
The smart TV is set up wirelessly and steams films with ease. No signal drop outs/lost connection. The ipad and iphone signal is consistently good with no drop outs.
Speed is also significantly improved on devises.
The set itself looks stylish enough and its really handy having the 4 ports to connect second as its not wireless.
The devise has features i don't need or am likely to use but now I have it I'll see how these may be of use/can figure out how to use!
What I wanted was a powerful and stable modem router and thats what I've got, and again, so easy to set up. I now feel I have a devise that meets all my networking needs, with out having to set up extenders or worrying about whether the streamed film will keep stopping part way through.
Only negative is that the box feels a little warm to the touch.
At present I have no reason not to reccommend this model to anyone else.

Update, signal strength is only two bars instead of full three without range extender but this doesn't cause any problems with streaming and access around house. Just to get best possible signal I have reinstalled range extender with the smart tv, just to be on safe side. What I am pleased about is I've had not one drop out yet, so that's mission accomplished.

Also, buying from Amazon, this arrived after 3 days using the free delivery option, great!
on 1 February 2014
This is a great product and works well (had it running for a couple of days now). I've got BT infinity and replaced my BT router (which was faulty) with this one. I was particularly looking for a modem router that had a good interface to set up port forwarding and VDSL capability, dual channels helps a lot too (2.4 and 5GHz). Setup was easy, once you realize you need a PPPoE/PPP username and password for BT (doh!). I now have access to my home Security cameras linked to my DVR via the internet after configuring port forwarding. In addition Asus provide you with a host name (DNS) so you don't have to worry about the WAN ip address changing if you reboot. So far so good!
on 8 August 2014
Important update, please read below
-----------------------------------

I have owned this router for over a week and been having a hell of a time with the DSL ping and speed. I search everywhere online on how to resolve x2 higher ping (from 15ms to 30ms) without success. Firstly you must remember that any new router will face the dreaded DLM ( Dynamic Line Management - https://ttb.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/651/~/dlm-%28dynamic-line-management%29 ) that can last week(s) finding the optimum speed. But anyway, here are the things to help.

Here's how to improve speed and decrease ping:

1. Update firmware

2. [wireless] settings
a) Disable [WPS] (security risks)
b) 2.4 GHz
i) Disable [b/g Protection]
ii) Set [Channel bandwidth] to [20 mhz]
iii) Set [Control Channel] to one of [1, 6, 11]
c) 5 GHz (Dont touch)
3. [WAN] settings
a) Disable [uPNP] (security risks)
b) Set [Connect to DNS Server automatically?] to [no] and add [8.8.8.8] and [8.8.4.4] to DNS Server 1 and 2 (Google Public DNS).
c) !important part! Set [MTU] to [1442] and [TCP MSS Option] to [1400] (Improve ping and connection speed).

4. [Advanced] settings, select [DSL Setting] tab
a) Set [DSL Modulation] to [VDSL2] (vDSL line)
b) Set [Rx AGC GAIN Adjustment (VDSL)] to [performance].

I couldn't be more than happier now, extremely fast and great WiFi range/speed! Good luck!

----------------------------------------

Update: 2014-09-16

Unfortunately I've found my vDSL connection dropping again and with the recent DLM effects my connection speed has dropped from 48Mbps to 20Mps. Looked at Asus wireless forum and it seems others are experiencing the same. Follow [vdslhelp] posts, I'm hoping my DSL speeds return to normal. It seems the DSL-N66U isn't ready for vDSL yet, due to firmware issues..?

When the DSL-N66U had a connection, the download/upload speed were slightly faster. The upload had increased from 12Mbps to 16Mbps, but my ping had increased from 15 to 30 back to 20 in addition to this I was experiencing a lot more CRC errors.

33 comments|28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 November 2013
After 3 weeks I'm impressed. I upgraded the firmware as recommended by others. Simply pressed the button in the browser controls and waited 2 minutes.
MUCH better wireless signal than the Netgears.

I won't repeat what other positive reviews have said but will add:

Power consumption is 9 watts. I turned off the 5 GHz as none of my devices use it and it dropped to 8 watts. I turn the wifi off 11pm tp 7am and that drops the power consumption to 7 watts. I've read that for maximum speed leave routers on 24/7 otherwise your exchange sees the line dropping and lowers your speed in an attempt to stabilise your line.

This Asus has powerful parental controls. You can set times of day for any given device to allow internet connection.

My router history
My first router was the Netgear DG834 - Lasted 3 years before dropping.I replaced that with a Netgear DG2200 that lasted 18 months before constant drops. I replaced that with another Netgear DG2200 under the 2 year warranty of the previous - Replacement was also faulty and dropped continuously.
So I bought an Asus as it had a 3 year warranty after having enough of Netgear
review image review image
on 11 December 2014
I read all the reviews before I bought this, most of them were negative but a few months old. Another person posted a set of instructions (http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R172XNY5MXQUGX/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00GORC5WO) on how to set this up correctly. With this in mind I bought mine and set about getting it ready on my plusnet fibre connection.

It's been a week since I set it up and installed it, and I must say that I've had no issues. The key here is to make sure you update the firmware on your router as soon as you can. Once you have done this you can be confident that you won't experience any of the issues that of people have experienced.

The connection stays up, no loss in speed and no dropped packets.

Design:
----
The footprint is small, it's about the size of a VHS cassette, the lights are dimmed enough that they don't look like a light show at night.

Setup:
----
The setup isn't hard, I didn't have the need for the DVD and connected straight to the wifi network. The admin panel is at 192.168.1.1 and the login/password are set as admin/admin. The control panel is a little dated, but not hard to use. Everything you need is there.

Signal:
----
The signal is clear and penetrates most walls and is as powerful as most other routers without external antennae I've seen. I am going to purchase a wifi booster anyway.

Cons:
----
Signal strength could be better, but this is fixed by using a repeater such as the Asus EA-N66 or powerline adapters.

The convenience of having one combined modem/router is great. It's a nice size and is aesthetically pleasing. I've been using it for a few weeks now and never had a problem.
on 14 October 2014
I have spent the last 5 days since receiving this router, trying to get theVDSL connection to stay up. As reported by other reviews, there is a major issue with the modem side that causes it to drop the DSL connection regularly, despite updating the firmware tothe latest version (1.0.7.7) that was specifically meant to address this issue (and believe me, updating the firmware on this router from a Mac was no walk I the park but I'll not go into details here).

Furthermore, the WiFi performance is terrible. I have read some reviews stating that it gets better with time. That may be the case but my ps4, situated in the next room (8 meters away through a thin plasterboard partition that passes for a wall in new houses these days) can only get 4.7 Mbps download and 2.3 Mbps up. My BT HH5 was giving me 18/7Mbps!

These aren't just figures; in the real world my LG TV struggled to detect a signal and stutters on streaming and an ATV3 in the same room took so long to load a movie over LAN (!) that I gave up (the file was being streamed from my iMac). I won't go into all the issues I've had but I consider myself to have pretty good IT knowledge and I've spent about 20 hours over the last 5 days trying to sort these issues out with no real success.

In summary;

Positives - it looks good, No it really does and has a very small footprint.

Negatives:
- frequent DSL drops (1-2x daily). If you're in the middle of an online game this is a killer
-WiFi terrible (both speed and range - worse than a BT HH5)
-bug ridden firmware (ie enabling UPNP has not the slightest benefit in enabling services such as Plex and also causes immediate DSL connection)

If the router accomplished half of what the manufacturers claim I'd be happy. This barely scrapes a percentage point.. Really is not fit for purpose and unless my call to Asus resolves these issues, it is going back PDQ

EDIT: 15/10/14

I contacted ASUS support, who I have to admit were very friendly and helpful. I was advised to go back to the latest firmware (I had downgraded back to factory shipped firmware out of pure desperation) that gives the option to tweak the upstream VDSL power (and ADSL if you have that), I had already done this a little without success but support suggested I try maximum values. OK, fairly logical. Unfortunately it would not connect at all to my isp with these values, so had to try lower ones.
I did notice that the wifi signal strength seemed to have improved with the newer firmware, incidentally. I could now get -44dBm signal strength, with a connection speed of 150Mbs (the maximum supported on my galaxy note 3 on 5G N band apparently) but the range was no better than my HH5 still, as out on the patio I could no longer get a signal on either 2.4GHz or 5GHz. Interestingly the internet connection speed didn't improve and was still a poor 4/2Mbs on the PS4 for example.

I also didn't really have the chance to see whether the increased dsl power had any affect on dropped WAN connections as things were abruptly brought to a head when my daughter had a rant about her "ping speed being 7000ms on league of legends" making it unplayable.

I ordered the Netgear R7000 and plugged it into my basic Huawei BT supplied modem that for the last 2 years has been quietly getting on with the job without so much as a single reset (so much for the single box idea). The Netgear is far better, admittedly it is another £50 and to be honest looks like some alien monstrous spaceship has landed on my desk (it's looks won't suit some, not even sure they suit me!) but you can't argue with performance. Daughter's happy: ping now down to 50ms apparently; I'm hoping it will pick up from this once my ISP establishes a steady vdsl connection with the Huawei again.

It's probably not fair to directly compare the 2 routers as the Netgear has AC but for anybody still interested, it has better than -40dbm signal strength (WiFi Analyzer only goes up to -40dBm - the lower the number the better BTW). On the patio with 5G (probably AC) I get signal strength of -70dbm and connection speed of 87Mbps and even on 2.4GHz i still get a connection speed of13Mbps. Bearing in mind that there was no signal from the ASUS.

It is shame as the ASUS really is a nice looking all in one bit of kit with a tiny footprint conpared to the behemoth that is the Netgear R7000 Just wished that it would work.

Finally for the sake of complletion and the waning hope that the ASUS would somehow "spring into action", I was prepared to forego the inbuilt DSL and connect it to the Huwai modem. Unfortunately it did not improve things and had been on for no more than a couple of hours when my daughter, having just returned from college started complaining about 8000ms ping rates and her FPS was so slow that it would be quicker for her to draw the frames by hand. It has to go back I'm afraid.

Anyone thinking of buying this modem/router needs to be prepared to dedicate a significant amount of time and effort to get it to work correctly, even if that's possible. I couldn't manage it and gave up after about 20 hours: and I would say that I'm fairly good with IT, oh and also retired!

Netgear = plug and play. Spent no more than 5 minutes setting this up and after the ASUS .....little perturbed by simplicity :0
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 May 2012
Style Name: N600 Mbps + ADSL/VDSL modem|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Firstly, it should be said that this is a high end modem router and is designed for use with a dial-up telephone line based adsl internet service and not for use with a cable or external modem.

This router has a modern and up to date appearance, stylish and suitably high tech and will look well on any work desk or even in the living room.

The wizard based setup was easy and straightforward and for most users all they need to do is input their ISP user name and password to access the internet with no need to use the supplied CD. Many adsl routers such as the AVM Fritz! Box Fon 7390 Wireless 4 Port VDSL/ADSL2+ Router DECT VoIP Phone Adaper that I usually use myself now support internet access from a cable, external modem or another router. Not so this router which is limited to an adsl connection only. Although Asus claim a maximum speed of 600Mbps this is slightly disingenuous as this is in fact the combined speed of the 2.4 and 5Ghz network streams. Rival high end routers from Netgear and other now support a single band connection of 450Mbps or higher - although few network adapters yet can handle this. Perhaps I overlooked it but I could not see anyway of using this router as a repeater to another existing router network. As another review has already pointed out this device does not allow for MAC address spoofing - this is a way of fooling some ISPs that insist on their own specific routers being used by allowing the user to input a suitable MAC address into the router settings and which is then passed on to the ISP during the connection process.

Like most of the current generation of routers this one offers a built in Media Server, FTP Server and (via a separate utility program on the CD) a Printer Server. The easy to configure QoS settings ensures that network traffic will be given suitable priority your needs. No sign of dedicated hardware VOIP support of the type used across the AVM Fritz!box range.

This is a top of the range product and delivers a high level of reliable performance. It has many advanced features perhaps not required by the average user but seems to be lacking some others to be found in routers of comparable price.

The Good
Wifi on/off and Reset switches on case
Two USB ports
Printer server
Media server
FTP server
Gigabit LAN
Table or wall mounting
Free Asus DDNS service
Aerials are detachable for storage
Easy to configure QoS settings
Good build quality
Dual band 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks separately configurable

The Bad
300Mbps speed max
No hardware VOIP support
User Interface is old fashioned
No support for external or cable modems
No support for MAC address spoofing
No support for use as a Repeater
No Guest network
33 comments|42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 October 2014
Really unimpressed with this. It's unable to reliably maintain our DSL connection, when my ~8 year old Netgear DG834G has no problems whatsoever.

Compounding this is its error behaviour if unable to sync: it intercepts all HTTP connections to redirect you to an error page, causing you to lose browser state (so for example, if you open your browser when the connection is down, or just hasn't come up yet, all your restored tabs will show the error page, and there will be no way to get them back). Destroying browser state in the event of a disrupted connection is totally unacceptable.

Compounding *this* is its error diagnosis - it's unable to distinguish between a failure to sync and an unplugged cable, and it reports the latter in all situations. A minor annoyance perhaps, but when you've just had all of your tabs replaced with obviously incorrect information, it kinda grates, y'know?

An extremely frustrating experience all round. Avoid.
on 31 March 2015
After reading reviews about VDSL modem issues, I was cautious about purchasing this router, particular after there were still a couple of issues after the December firmware release that seemed to resolved most connection issues. But with so few VDSL Modem Routers with AC wireless support I decided to splash out.

Thankfully the router was a breeze to setup and worked first time after selecting my ISP (Zen) from the list. Connection speeds are as good as the Openreach modem (33Mbps on a tariff with max 38Mbps). The wireless range and speed is also fantastic - though I was upgrading from a wireless G router so the difference is more drastic. Our entire 2-bed house has full signal throughout.

The router interface also contains plenty of features, and simple to use. Upgrading the firmware is also very easy to do (basically automatic!).

Would recommend.