5.0 out of 5 stars Be awesome modern life for modern ladies
Could not put this book down. Very well written and funny too.every woman should read this book feminist or not just to get you to realise how our whole lives can be influenced by the media and people around us. A book I will be reading again and again I'm sure
Published 11 months ago by S A Robinson

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read
I've never been a massive fan of Hadley's writing style but was pleasantly surprised this book. It's witty and incisive, and she does an excellent job of presenting feminist issues in a way that's funny and relatable. I'd have given it another star but I did feel it ran off into tangents in a lot of places and needed a bit more focus.

I particularly liked her...
Published 13 months ago by H

5.0 out of 5 stars Be awesome modern life for modern ladies, 20 Aug 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars In Defence of Hadley Freeman, 22 April 2013
JennyD (Manchester, Uk) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have consciously avoided the emerging genre of books written by funny, feminist, funky women writers (I'm thinking of Caitlin Moran in particular) because I had dismissed them as merely being concerned with fashion, sex & make-up none of which interest me. I decided to give Hadley Freeman's (a fashion journalist) book a try because I had occasionally read her pieces in the Guardian and was interested in how she'd explain herself. I thought I'd hate this book, I thought it'd be what I call 'fake feminism' which is basically how to empower yourself by getting down on your knees.
I was surprised and delighted to find that Freeman has not only got an answer to questions I'd throw at her but that they are well thought out and very well argued. Namely she points out how the fashion industry isn't about sexualising women but is in fact about individuality. She separates the different types of representation of women, the horrid tabloids to the women's magazines. I was deeply taken with her idea that celebrity stories are more about the story itself than the celebrities that are cast as characters, an idea that she links to Dickens and the concept of serial stories. I found her discussion on body hair removal to be hilarious and extremely true, I agree with her completely. Similarly her call for the end of self-deprecation is a welcome one and is something I've often thought of myself. I must also say I was most amazed for a fashion loving woman to admit that high heels are merely modern day foot binding. My respect for Freeman soared after reading that as it also increased when she pointed out something I truly hate; namely the media's insistence on creating female 'cat-fights' such as Aniston vs Jolie. I've met more than one woman who actually dislike Jolie, a woman they don't even know, because she 'stole' Brad Pitt.
I do have some criticisms. She points out that women shouldn't take the power (threat) away from their serious points by using text speak or funny voices but I think she borders on this herself when she uses slang such as 'NQOCD' (had to google that one). Secondly she speaks about oral sex using a very vulgar term for male oral sex (a term I really despise and can't repeat on Amazon) but the female equivalent is given the 'very proper name' which appears to me to be an surprising double-standard in a work concerned with feminism. Either the colloquial for both or neither.
Overall I really enjoyed this book and I laughed all the way through it. Freeman herself notes that there's a 'slender line that divides self-empowerment and self-abasement' and this for me sums up the feminist minefield where modern day women find themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Antidote for believing what the media says..., 28 April 2013
Rosey Lea (london, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I gave up reading Hadley Freeman's broadsheet columns a few years ago, as I could never work out whether they were supposed to be straight advice or tongue in cheek. This book is clear from the start, it's a reaction against the many pigeon holes and artificial gender demands placed upon modern women. It's a fight back against cheapo mags that run full page features entitled "Ewww! Look at her cellulite! Gross!" and tabloids shouting "Woman hired as CEO? Who will care for her family whilst she's being so selfish?"

Bearing in mind that Hadley Freeman was Victoria Beckham's ghostwriter for That Extra Half an Inch: Hair, Heels and Everything in Between, Hadley's not a novice in her field. However this isn't a "how-to" book, its Hadley's thoughts and observations on women's issues and media portrayal. This is a book firmly aimed at women (not girls - irrespective of whether the term is being used for children, or for infantilising adult women) and is a very worthwhile, and very funny, reminder that it's okay to have wrinkles, not wear mini-skirts if you don't want to, and there's no law saying you must marry and mate.

I get the feeling this book will probably marketed alongside How To Be a Woman which is a shame, as they're not alike at all. The Caitlin Moran book was pretty much "how to be Caitlin Moran", the Hadley Freeman book is a much wider look at the flawed portrayal of adult women in films, TV and other media and the unfounded expectations it places on women.

All that makes this book sound rather heavy. It isn't. It bounces along at a cracking place, the chapters are short so you can pick up and put down at will, and it really is a funny and entertaining read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much truth & wit, if a little didactic at times, 1 Jun 2014
This review is from: Be Awesome: Modern Life for Modern Ladies (Kindle Edition)
Hadley Freeman writes well, and engagingly. I have read many a book on this subject, from the academic to the 'yes-im-a-feminist-but-please-love-me-anyway-fellas' bandwagonism. I enjoyed the book and agreed with the majority of what Ms Freeman had to say, primarily because it is good, truthful stuff. I did however feel a little harangued at times, which seemed a little ironic when she was haranguing us about choice :-). But strong opinions are no bad thing, and it gave the book enthusiasm & passion. Worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensible and witty feminist writing, 3 Jan 2014
This review is from: Be Awesome: Modern Life for Modern Ladies (Kindle Edition)
Great book that makes you proud to be a woman. Well informed and researched. Never dr. Great insight into the media industry and modern life

5.0 out of 5 stars Hadley is awesome, 2 Jan 2014
What a refreshing change to read a book by a modern feminist who doesn't feel the need to apologise for her feminism, and doesn't try to make her beliefs more palatable by contantly going on about how much she loves men and make-up, and by being self-deprecating about her weight and looks. If that makes this book sound dry and dull, nothing could be further from the truth. It's funny and anecdotal and it has a very pleasing no-nonsense tone - anyone who enjoys Hadley's writing in the Guardian will love this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Diverting enough, 5 Dec 2013
Caroline (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is witty and diverting enough for a Sunday afternoon read. She is good company is which to spend a few hours, and the pop culture and fashion references make it zip by. It is not as coherent as other pop feminism/female autobiographies and can feel a little bitty as she moves between vignettes.

5.0 out of 5 stars So many important truths about society it should be on the national curriculum!, 14 Jun 2013
This review is from: Be Awesome: Modern Life for Modern Ladies (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book from beginning to end. Hadley's writing style has already been proven to be top notch in her journalistic ventures, but this book has really allowed her to come into her own. I laughed aloud many times. She has the gift of being able to turn a would-be rant/tirade about all the bullsh*t we endure in our daily lives into a hilarious must-read. Friends who won't stop posting pictures of their new born children on Facebook? Daily Mail insisting that everything from baked goods to thin air will give you cellulite? How to deal with the guilt that you want to consider yourself progressive and liberal-thinking but are addicted to celebrity gossip blogs? Hadley imparts amazing advice and tips without sounding preachy. A real pleasure, couldn't put it down!

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 10 Jun 2013
H (London) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I particularly liked her day in the life according to Daily Mail headlines - an excellent lampooning of the tabloids if ever there was one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly, no one gets kidnapped by pirates, 24 May 2013
This review is from: Be Awesome: Modern Life for Modern Ladies (Kindle Edition)
However, (piratical kidnapping - or lack of - aside) there is a lot of great stuff in this book.

From first dates to Ferris Bueller, Hadley Freeman takes us on a journey of awesomeness. With her tongue often firmly wedged in her cheek she deals with issues such as how to cope when your friends have babies, why the Sex and the City movies totally sucked and how the media is completely obsessed with women's bodies - to the exclusion of any other facet we may have.

This book feels like getting comfy on a sofa in a wine bar with one of your best friends and putting the world to rights. And proof that feminism is still something that should remain high on every woman's agenda.

Definitely worth a read.