5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
Published 7 months ago by 70FL95

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't install the software on the CD!!
This is a great printer. Easy to set up, quiet and has great print quality.
Published 6 months ago by Mr P Burrows

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: Dell C1765NFW Multifunction Colour Laser Printer (Print/Scan/Copy/Fax) (Accessory)
Really pleased with this printer/scanner. Print quality is excellent and the scanner works well. The wifi functionality is also really good and easy to set up. I've not used the fax features as these are not required. Other reviews of this unit moan about the high cost of toner cartridges. This is only true if you buy the genuine Dell toner, but you don't have to - for 28 I bought a complete set of cartridges including a spare black unit. So far (3-4 months) I've not needed them because the original set is still at 80%.

The replacement toner is http://www.amazon.co.uk/COMBO-PACK-Compatible-Cartridges-Printers/dp/B00977H4AG/ref=pd_rhf_cr_p_img_1

Conclusion: Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Farewell inkjets forever!, 20 Feb 2014
Tan y ddraig (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
After my rather finicky canon pixma mp780 multifunction inkjet printer gave up the ghost I decided it was time to search for a worthy replacement. As ever I did a fair bit of Googling to see what the best laser options were and found that most of the big online reviews weren't particularly favourable with complaints regarding cost of renewables and wifi function. Despite this, I still opted for the Dell even though its apparently LED not laser based.

Setup is really easy with the supplied disc but just make sure you go to the Dell website to ensure you have the latest firmware as I'm sure this is why I have had absolutely no issues with WIFI network coverage. Scanning/ Photocopying can be done directly or via the automatic document feeder and the print quality will knock the socks off any inkjet on the market (colour or greyscale).. It can do duplex printing but only via manual feeding which is the only gripe I have with the unit as it would be nice to have the auto duplex feature that my old canon had.
Aesthetically it's a boxy but smart black design with approx 14inch footprint. The paper feed and output is all frontally based which is great as it can be situated close to a wall on the desktop. The Dell software package that it comes with is simple to use as is Paperport image and you can also scan/print directly to and from USB which is a very useful feature. I cannot comment on the toner longevity as I've not gone through it all yet, but will report back in due course when I have a better idea of its capacity. Thankfully there are many aftermarket toners available which may be a more cost effective option but I will just have to check that it will not void the 3 year Dell next day warranty that it came with.

Overall for the total cost of 130 and 3 year Dell warranty I'd say that this is the best value printer currently on the market and it is certainly the best I have ever owned. Thoroughly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't install the software on the CD!!, 26 Feb 2014
Mr P Burrows (London, London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is a great printer. Easy to set up, quiet and has great print quality.
Beware of the software on the CD though. The instructions call for this to be installed and as I discovered, it is full of adware and things which are very difficult to uninstall including a cloud storage client which you don't get an option to skip. Windows 7 or 8 will just install drivers for the printer and scanner as soon as the device is connected and everything will work. I spent longer finding out how to uninstall the programs from the install CD than the on the whole of the rest of the set-up for 6 machines on my network. Luckily, I learned my lesson after the first one and didn't bother to run the CD in the others.

Verdict: Printer great. Software (which you just don't need) rubbish and very hard to remove. Hence only 3 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Two big problems (three if you count the "customer service"), 19 May 2014
This was in many respects a great printer. The print quality was excellent, the resolution superb and the blacks nicely intense.

But:

1) It's pretty huge! It's about 30% bigger than the multi-function device that I'm replacing it with. I did measure the dimensions before I bought it, but because the power lead sticks out of the back it ends up taking up even more space than you would think and it won't sit flush to a wall.

2) My one wouldn't print straight on the page. A ruler line at the bottom of the page always printed slightly "uphill" with the margin at the bottom being 1mm different on the left and the right. This gave pages an unprofessional look and made the printer as it stood wholly unsuitable for my uses (creating handouts for professional clients to use in seminars and workshops).

I spent about 4 hours in total in the phone will Dell who agreed it was a hardware issue.

They sent me 2 replacement printers *both* of which had the same fault.

I asked Dell if they'd let me have another model which might not have this fault, but they said they couldn't/wouldn't do that.

(By the way Dell customer services were a pain in the bum as far as I was concerned. They took ages to agree with me there was any problem. They were superficially helpful, but when it came to the crunch they kept fobbing me off with "the company line" rather than actually making any extra effort to ensure I was a happy customer. And then they still tried to tell me that because no-one else had complained and it was "only a 1mm error" that I didn't really have a problem).

If you don't need to print for "presentation purposes" and are willing to have a big beast in your office/home then this is a good value choice (provided you get no-name replacement toner).

Or perhaps you'll get lucky and find one that prints straight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect cheap laser, 7 Jan 2014
This printer is the perfect little laser printer for a wide range of people. I'm a student so I wanted a powerful but cheap Laser printer good for infrequent use however when used it would likely be printing 100 page reports or slides etc. (i.e. sporadic high usage). This printer is ideal as you can get compatible toner sets for 25 (1400 for colours CYM and 2000 Black K) - confirmed working - and being a laser it won't dry up if you infrequently print (I've had many inkjets gum up on me). This printer also has the advantage of having a simple drum/Fuser unit rated for the life of the product (saving me maintenance). As a Computer Science student I often have to work in many operating systems and I can confirm that the c1765nfw works with my Windows and Mac setups (Win 7 and OSX 10.8 and 10.9). I have also had this printer working in Linux using the '1355 Foomatic/foo2hbpl2' from foo2hbpl[DOT]rkkda[DOT]com on a Ubuntu 12.04 machine so this should work with at least all ubuntu variants (Linux Mint etc) and the foo2hbpl2 driver is distributed as source so if you can compile you can use this with Fedora, Debian, Mandriva etc (word of warning use the system-config-printer setup rather than the default printer dialogue on Gnome or Unity). This had been my main concern that I couldn't use it under Linux but seems OK. Scanner tested and working fine in Mac (haven't tested in Ubuntu) however it can scan to a FTP server or USB apparently so a non-issue for me. You can use the scanner with the Wireless connection (at least you can on Mac OSX 10.8/9). Haven't tried the Fax as I will plug it into a SIP telephone account as I have no phone line. Wireless setup easy on the printer, print quality good and pretty fast, scanning slow. I can't get the Email alert system or scan to email to work as the printers client doesnt support SSL connections and is POP3/SMTP only so fairly limited, don't expect this to just work with Gmail. I'm sure if I found another mail server without SSL required I could sort this. For my usage this is great, was very impressed with the print quality and as always with a laser the paper comes out shiny and warm. My favourite!

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome printer but some things to be aware of, 28 April 2014
This is a great printer in terms of print quality. I cannot find it wanting at all in this department. It creates consistently sharp printouts in both b/w and color. The document handler for scanning also works as advertised though it is abit on the slow side.

Just be aware:
- the interface takes a little bit of getting used to, and the on-line manual is not particularly helpful

As mentioned by other reviewers:
- It does not provide for duplex printing and I could not find anything in the driver that you could set for manual duplex printing.
- It does not support Apple's AirPrint

If you can get pass these 'minor' shortcomings, this is certainly one of the best value laser printers, and the print quality beats anything in a similar price range. I have had many printers in my time, and nothing I have owned surpasses the Dell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 31 Oct 2013
I was looking for a laser printer for home use having had a number of ink jets with expensive cartridges.
This does the job, was well priced and replacement toners not badly priced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing technology, 4 Jun 2014
Fast, quiet, great quality print, versatile. Screen nice and clear. Probably got more functions than I have mastered yet. Very pleased.

4.0 out of 5 stars Never understand the 1 star reviews...., 3 May 2014
You read the negative reviews of this printer and you have to wonder if people know what they are doing. I have PC's, Macs and mobile devices and all print to the device and scan from the device (in the PC and Macs case) with ease and were an absolute doodle to set up, maybe 10 minutes per device with testing. The print quality is fine, the scanning works with ease and it prints nice documents in both colour and black and white. I didn't bother with all the extra Dell software, went for a light install and I have the device hard wired into my router but can print from anywhere with zero issues. So many tech reviews are full of people who simply don't have a clue when a hip occurs, which it does and I can confirm that as a purchase, set up and printer/scanner it is great. Can't speak about consumables or running costs, but I've done 5 packs of A4 and all inks are still showing plenty of ink left so again I'm sure that will be fine too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dell all in one, 23 April 2014
Good printer and great prints, but not easiest to set up and apps from Dell don't work so well. Software for Mac pretty poor, but okay on PC. Direct connection no problem. Have to turn on to print wirelessly as it goes to sleep and doesn't pick up.