5.0 out of 5 stars True Rock 'n' Roll Cowboys
If you are a hard rock fan, let alone a Thin Lizzy fan this is a must read and must look. A stunning book, a biography of the band and a real pictorial treasure.
So much has been written about Phil Lynott and Thin Lizzy and it is a treat to finally be able to read about one of the greatest rock bands of all time from two people that were in the thick of it...
Published on 18 Jan. 2013 by N. H. Foster

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I was expecting.
Published on 29 Dec. 2012 by robbo's liver

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I was expecting., 29 Dec. 2012
2 things.I'm a huge fan of Harry Doherty,all the way back to when he worked for Metal Hammer in the 80's,top rock writer & fan.I am also a big fan of Scott Gorham & an even bigger fan of Thin Lizzy.Originally,I thought this was to be Scott's autobiography,which it is'nt,it's a biography about Lizzy,which is my biggest grievance about the book.There appears to be no new imput from Brian Robertson,Gary Moore,John Sykes or much from Brian Downey.Sure there is a fair deal from Scott,particularly his reflections of the classic-era of himself/Phillip/Robbo/Brian Downey,but there are surely other views than Scott's ageing & at times, possibly forgetful memory ,that should have been sounded out & added to the Lizzy story,in my opinion.Some of the stories & anecdotes,you will have read before in other books,by Mark Putterford or Alan Byrne. There are some magnificent photo's that I have never seen,plus plenty that I have seen,time & time again.Also,if you are a regular reader to the British magazine 'Classic Rock' a lot of the latter text is directly lifted from it's previous issues,& bewilderingly at the end of the book there is a section of the 2012 line-up of Scott's Lizzy,which for me is simply WRONG!It's great that this book will generate some interest about Lizzy,some super pictures,but if like me,you are already a huge fan,then no,there is'nt a great deal here for you,that you did'nt already know.Sorry.Personally,I got a lot more out of the late Mark Putterford's book 'The Rocker'.

5.0 out of 5 stars True Rock 'n' Roll Cowboys, 18 Jan. 2013
From the humble beginnings on the Irish Showband Circuit to Arena Rock and that final unforgettable tour and Reading in 1983. Doherty and particularly Gorham are honest in their assessment of what was so good about Lizzy and what was always eventually going to bring the band down.
I love Gorham's own personal views on Lizzy's awesome canon of albums, again honesty is to the fore. I love the way he describes how the band worked together and reveals a side of himself I would never have imagined. Times of doubt that he was up to the job! Doherty was obviously real close to the band and gives the reader an insight in to the dynamics of the various line ups of the band as well as great characterisations from the larger than life Lynott to the shy Snowy White.
The photography is simply stunning, there are some truly iconic shots of Lynott, The Leader and the band. So powerful, having been at so many of the band's gigs I can recall the stage sets, the outfits and the unique dynamism of Thin Lizzy. The place where they always really came alive. I could almost feel that crackle of excitement waiting for Phil and the boys to hit the stage and then proceed to rip it up.
Now that Scott and Brian have finally brought the curtain down on Thin Lizzy,this book provides a brilliant epitaph to what for me will always be the greatest hard rock band in my life time.
'Are You Out there?' Of course we are still out there!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Are you out there, tell me, are you out there?, 20 Feb. 2013
Alison Petrie - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Am I biased, oh yes, certainly am - Thin Lizzy were, and still are in my memory, the best live group I ever saw. I pounced on this book when it arrived and literally hoovered it up. I remember Harry Doherty writing for the "Melody Maker" in the 70s and, given his closeness to Lizzy, he was obviously the best man for the job.

So there I was, turning the pages and re-visiting my life as I remember it all so clearly - are you out there, the amiable drunk man in the audience who threw his arm around my shoulders and got me to dance with him at the Hammersmith in 1981? That's what it was like, the Lizzy army together!

Made me sad, given the early demise of Phil Lynott, but also brought back the most glorious memories of the man and his music and changed my mind about not wanting to see Lizzy without him. So, if "the boys are back in town" somewhere near me, I'm going to go along to pay my respects because Lizzy played a huge part in my musical life and, to this day, the songs live on and I never get tired of listening to them. As Phil says on "Live and Dangerous", are you out there, tell me, are you out there - I reckon there are many people like me who still remember the glory of Lizzy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I was expecting either, 8 Jan. 2013
Agree with sentiments on a couple of other reviews, namely felt could have gone deeper and considering Scott was co-author thought the book would be much more insightful, so felt not really much new in there. Was hoping/thought it would be a bit more of a behind the scenes 'back stage pass!' from a key band member. Agree some great 'not seen before' photos though and always enjoy reading about all things Lizzy regardless, so still one for your Lizzy collection. Thanks for the addition.

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't do Thin Lizzy Justice, 2 April 2013
As a testament to a great band this meagre 160 page (that includes loads of photos) document falls short in painting any picture other than the most rudimentary description of their history.

There is no context of their youth, upbringing, family, culture, interests or place of origin that you may expect from a history/biography of anybody or anything. The band members interest in music and why they chose to play or do what they do is left for the reader to surmise.

At one point the book describes a house in Dublin where Lynott, Bell and Downey live and that the tv was never on as they were always listening to music; what music? Apparently this same house regularly had many other people there; there is no attempt at describing the atmosphere or anything of note that may have happened there.

Apparently Eric Bell was none too pleased with the recording and release of Whiskey in The Jar however there is no description either of conversation at the time or of Bells current recollections of why.

And so it goes on...throughout the book there is a very light touch and an absence of detail about the band members lives, associates, WAGs, circumstances, the music scene at the time, their musical passions and interests, what influences the lyrics and music and decisions or any examination/analysis that would make this a far more interesting narrative. Even a repetition of the tour dates would have added some legitimacy to the text, especially as touring played such a big role in the bands life.

The book has no 'flavour'. there is no sense of either rock 'n roll decadence of a band at their peak nor the obvious drug obssesed squalor that Lynott and Gorham must have lived in as they sought their next 'package'. It feels more like a sketch for a book rather than the final publication itself.

That is not to say that I didn't enjoy it. I love the subject - Thin Lizzy - and it brings back many memories; it is just very lightweight with little insight.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Scott's own revelations., 29 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Thin Lizzy: The Boys Are Back in Town (Kindle Edition)
Poorly written. Rehash of other (better) books. Expected to hear more from Scott Gorham about the tales we haven't heard before.

5.0 out of 5 stars The boys are back with more stories!, 26 Jan. 2015
This book was written by the two men who witnessed it all,the truth is really out therem,are you out there?

4.0 out of 5 stars a must have book, 18 Dec. 2012
it confirms the stories of Phil Lynott, how he was his own worst enemy. lot of good pictures. But with Scott as co-author it could have gone deeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing and moving., 15 Mar. 2013
As a life long fan of Thin Lizzy I thought I knew everything about the band,this book proved me wrong.
I could not put this book down once I started reading it,it is brilliant!!! The photo,s are really great too,most of which I had never seen before.
If you worship the Band ,then buy this book,it,s a must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 15 July 2013
This review is from: Thin Lizzy: The Boys Are Back in Town (Kindle Edition)
If you are interested in Thin Lizzy, this is a good representation of the troubles that plagued the band and how they battled with addiction and infighting to survive in the music business. Unfortunately Phil Lynott pressed the self destruct button and it was over sooner than it should've. A great read!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›