on 24 September 2014
This has to be one of the best books on WW1 that has been written, it deals with the history but concentrates more on the circumastances for the start of the war and Britain entering the war, and the great industrial impact the war had, how people grew rich helping Britain fund the war, and the implications of running a war that bled this country dry both in terms of the financial cost and the enormous human cost in what was in some cases a pointless futile event, explaining the sacrificial battles that were fought just to appease Britains allies, and also at the inept bungling of the men at the top who sat well behind the lines sending men and boys to die in their thousands.
on 16 September 2012
This is obviously a comprehensive history on WW1 and the way it presents the history (as a meta analysis as another reviewer put it) does really help in understanding the complete history and context of the war. So all the information and detail you could want is included in the book. But, and this is a big but, its a very dry and really not a very enjoyable read.

I'm the kind of person that likes to finish a book but this one nearly got me. I read several others before finally coming back to this one and finishing it off. I had to adopt some "speed reading" approaches of basically skimming details and text because it was just too dry otherwise. In the end I feel that I certainly leant a lot and my knowledge and understanding of WW1 has improved greatly but I really didn't enjoy reading this book.

I think its down to both the style of writing and depth of the subject in what is relatively a short book (601 pages excluding refs and end notes). Its just too dense to make an easy read and the authors style and content don't allow for any personal stories or flowing narrative to come through.

If you really want to learn about WW1 then this is a good book (on increased knowledge grounds I'd give it 5 stars) but for easy of reading it really is only a 1 or 2 star affair. Overall somewhere in the middle, hence my rating.
on 8 September 2014
Very authoritative and complete, but a *very* hard read. Long complex and convoluted events explained in a long complex and convoluted manner. In the early chapters I had to re-read sentences 5 times. In the end I struggled through and finished it and felt I had definitely learned a lot about WW1 and in that respect give it a 3* rating. I actually found the subject-organised chapters good, to aid analysis of the events (like - how come people [initially] supported the war?). Purely-chronological doesn't always tell you what's behind the events. But given a fresh start, I think I'd try and find a different book
on 3 March 2013
One of the most detailed books about the war which should be required reading for all politicians. It goes a long way to explain, what on first appearances seems unexplainable
on 23 January 2014
Very good read covering the First World War from start to end. If you would like to know the history of the Great War then this book will give you that.
on 17 August 2013
Extremely good single volume read on World War One. Not an "easy" read...but certainly well worth while and very rewarding.
on 14 February 2013
great content but very small print! I purchased this for a military history course and it has been very useful.
on 24 October 2013
An astonishingly thorough account of WW1 and circumstances before and afterwards.
I am in awe of the authors thoroughness and attention to detail.
I have learned so much from this book which was impossible to put down. How little I knew of this tragic catastrophy.
If you want the most thorough account of this subject then this is the book to read.
on 26 May 2014
I have always been a History buff. I thought I knew about this terrible war. I am reading this and seeing a reflection of today. The people who led our nations(ALL). Could have the same names as our MPs. They showed that they didn't respect their own countrymen.The Generals were idiots and our soldiers as usual Brave and undervalued. What a Human waste this was.
on 18 October 2015
A very detailed account of the war and a very long/intense read.
It covers a lot of political aspects of the war on both sides, including public opinion and the economy.

In my opinion it should have more coverage of events on the battlefield, but this does not take away from the knowledge and understanding of the conflict it provides.