Format: Kindle EditionChange

VINE VOICEon 25 September 2007
I laughed myself silly reading this; it is VERY funny. Cookery books are not usually humorous reading, but this one is a corker. I am looking forward to trying the recipes (especially the Dwarf bread and battle scones), and think they look perfectly do-able.
If you own a copy of 'The Joye of Snacks', and can bring it out into the open without it spontaneously combusting, you probably don't need this book.
If you are a fan of the Disk World and Nanny Ogg, you definitely do need this book - it is a true classic of a type never before (or since) seen.
The advice in the back of the book is also hilarious and entirely true in all respects - I would recommend this book for any about-to-be-married couple; they will cherish it.

Update on my review:
Since buying the book, I've had a go at a number of the recipes and they do work and have proved very popular with my family. Also, if you promise not to tell Nanny Ogg, I'll let you into a little secret ... many of the recipes can be adapted to suit vegetarians. The Klatchian curry using quorn instead of chicken was delicious; the Slumpie worked very well with quorn mince and the Gumbo was excellent without anything that had been dredged out of the bottom of a swamp. I haven't yet plucked up courage to try the Distressed Pudding ... watch this space!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 December 2009
I have had my copy of this book for some years now and am seriously considering buying another copy as mine is rather the worse for wear. I have made quite a few of the recipes and frequently dip in to it for a giggle. My favourite proper recipes are strawberry wobbler which is either a tasty mousse or an obscene gesture depending on your choice of presentation. A tip though the first time I made it I used canned cream which separated out a little during setting and made it even ruder looking!!! Seldom Buckets favourite snack is extremely tasty and you cant go wrong with Nanny Oggs's perfectly innocent porridge with completely inoffensive honey mixture which shouldn't make anyone's wife laugh.
The recipe for Bloody Stupid Johnson's individual fruit pie is one I have not tried yet but it sounds like a hearty snack full of your five a day (at least).
The only fault with this book is the binding isn't up to the number of times you will dip into it and of course holding it open while following the recipes.
on 22 February 2004
The design of "Nanny Ogg's Cookbook" is based on the traditional "Beeton's book of Household Management". For anyone that has not heard of this almost timeless publication it, apart from over 1,350 recipes, gives advice on a variety of subjects related to running a house, including for example 'Duties of the valet' etc. (Well in does in my 1st Edition Fascimile anyway ISBN: 0907486185)

Nanny Ogg's book, apart from being filled with some excellent drawings by Paul Kidby, includes Modes of Address; Etiquette at the Table; The Language of Flowers, Royal Occassions and Etiquette in the Bedroom as well as a few others.

All in all an excellent supplement to the Discworld series and don't be afraid to try out the recipes because in the words of the Authors

"...strict accuracy has been sacrificed in the interestes of having as many readers at the end of the book as we had at the start. The main aim has been to get the look and feel of the original Discworld recipes whilst avoiding, as far as possible, the original taste."

An enjoyable read that, just like any other DW book, got priority in my reading order when I received it for a Christmas present and was finished sometime before lunch on Boxing day, although that didn't include trying any of the recipes. Well let's face it, would you fancy Sticky Toffee Rat Onna Stick after too much Christmas pud and brandy butter?
on 11 December 2001
To all you Discworld fans out there- don't be
discouraged from buying this book because it's
a cooking book.There are lots of illustrations by Paul Kidby- this guy is AMAZING. My favorite is a drawing of Nanny and Casanuda looking very guilty under Granny's scrutinizing gaze. If you look at Nanny's dress hard enough you'll see why... ;)
Half of this book is recipes including strawberry wobbler(you figure it out...) Rincewind's recipe potatoes, Vetinari's recipe for bread and water (not as simple as it sounds!) and the Bursar's recipe for "spoon! give it a royster!" (aka dried frog pills). we finally learn what a figgin is and how to make it.
there are many other recipes some real, some not
all of them great.
the second half is all about etiquette.
etiquette with witches,wizards,dwarfs,trolls,
kings,dukes and on courtship, weddings, etc. etc.
BUY THIS BOOK! trust me, you will not regret it!
on 25 June 2002
If you read Wyrd Sisters, Witches Abroad or more importantly Maskerade, then you know that Nanny Ogg does 'a bit of cooking'. In Maskerade the recipes turn up in a printed book, and are cooked for some of the opera hall staff. Never has a Strawberry Wobbler given so many laughs.
If you like the witches, then read this cookery book.
on 8 March 2010
I loved this book, it gave me laugh-out-loud moments as well as a lot of useful advise. The recipies are accurate and re-creatable and some of them were recipies that I had thought would be lost in the deep recesses of history. I recommend this book as an all-purpose cookbook- and remember to have a laugh!
on 1 June 2006
Fantastic book. You must experiment with the cooking aspect - I think a more authentic recipe result will probably be attained by not being able to cook.

Wonderful illustrations as always.

A tip for those Americans who are not familiar with English English: Swede, a large yellow root vegetable of the turnip family, generally diced, boiled and then mashed with butter as potato to create a softer version of 'mash'. Sometimes combined with said spud (potato) to create an earthier 'mash'.

Treacle; a deliciously sweet refined inverted sugar syrup. Please don't believe that this substance is or has ever been mined. Treacle mines do actually refer to underground works where hematite like minerals are found, that bear a resembelance to black treacle (molasses). Treacle is used in our rounded earth world to make tarts (they are like a pie without a lid ok) and as an ingriedient in cakes.

Sorry for the digression but it seems to keep cropping up.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I wasn't sure what to expect, but was hoping for recipes along the lines of Nanny Ogg's Carrot and Oyster pie (Carrots so you can see in the dark, and oysters so's you got something to look at). I wasn't disappointed. I especially liked the editors notes, and some of the jokey recipes, but would like to see "The Joye of Snackes". I don't think this will happen though.
on 9 February 2014
Bought this as a Christmas present for my dad. Seeing as he likes both Pratchett and cooking I figured that I was on to a winner. Glad to be proved right. He spent most of Christmas Day and Boxing Day chuckling at Nanny Ogg's words of wisdom, and interrupting whatever everybody else was doing to read us his favourite passages.
In the short time I was there I only got to try a couple of the recipes which he insisted on having a go at, both of which went down well with all members of the family. This bodes well for the rest of the recipes in the book, even if Dad did pull a funny face at Nobby's Mum's Distressed Pudding…
All in all, a good present for the old man, but whether you're buying it for yourself or someone else, you're in for an education and a good time.
on 14 January 2000
This book is great fun and full of inside jokes for fans of Terry Pratchett's wonderful Discworld series. Although it is largely told from the viewpoint of Nanny Ogg, other characters-such as Lord Vetinari, the Death of Rats, and Casanunda- make guest appearances. I love the witches of Lancre, and so more about them is always welcome. However, a few reservations. Anyone who is not a Discworld fan is probably not going to be interested in this book. Also, I am American, and some of the recipe information is unfamiliar. For example, what on the Disc is swede? Treacle? It doesn't really matter; I'm on a diet and couldn't really cook the butter-intensive dishes the book features, and I didn't really get it for the recipes anyway. However, that aside, if you like the Discworld, and particularly the witches, this is a fun book,filled with informative tidbits about life in Lancre,and one you won't regret picking up.