5.0 out of 5 stars read this book!, 23 Jan 2007
MRRJHODGSON "R.Hodgson" (England) - See all my reviews
This is one of my favourite all time SF books and I'd recommend it to anybody.

It all takes place billions of years into our future, when humans are brought back to life to serve as bait for horrific vampire-like spiders called Zotl. The story follows the human's reannimator Gai, a god like being who has created worlds for us to populate. It also follows the lives of some of those humans over thousands of years of real time, while events for Gai fly past in a matter of days.

I have read very few books that manage to convey the sense of time that Attanasio cojures up in this story; as he follows the humans' first desperate battles for survival, through the centuries of opulence and into final decay.

If you like SF, then buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant!, 28 Aug 2003
Krispi (Bedford, England) - See all my reviews
I read this book about 5 years ago and have been trying to find it again to re-read ever since. It was the best sci-fi/fantasy book i have ever read! It looked a bit daunting at first as the book was so thick, but it didn't take long to get into the story. I did find the storyline got really complicated at times, hence why i want to read it again. Definitely worth the effort though!

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic tale of love and conflict, aliens and human nature, 2 Mar 2001
By A Customer
This book is one of the most compelling I have read, once you start there is no stopping. The concept is staggering. Reading it once is good reading it 3 times and it just gets better. Get a copy if you can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning SiFi/Fantasy Epic, 30 April 2012
Mr. S. N. Redman "Red Leader" (West Yorks) - See all my reviews
I read this after reading Radix, Arc of the Dream and while I enjoyed those books, this really is in another league to all the other output I have read by this author. It is an epic story in the traditions of great epics of our time and I'm not going to list the obvious comparable books but suffice to say it is a whole universe by itself. I read it first a long time ago and loaned my copy to a friend and never got it back, imagine my delight when got my replacement copy from Amazon. I had forgotten the scale and grandeur of this book and it really grabbed me again which doesn't usually happen to me when I read a book for the second time. The Zotl are a masterful evil creatures (vampire spiders that feed on human pain) and the good folk are well developed characters, but beware the action can leave you gasping and there are some significant twists to hold your interest until the very end and then there is the rim walker! Enjoy this fantastic book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable epic, 1 Feb 2001
By A Customer
I was persuaded to read this book by a friend several years ago and have read it a few times since. I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes epic sci-fi. Shame it's out of print.

5.0 out of 5 stars The brilliant magnum opus of an otherwise "OK" author., 6 Feb 2010
First, let me say that I've found the other writings of this author to be variously incoherent, clichéd, disorganised and full of made up words.

The reason I say this isn't to be pointlessly unkind - it's to assure the reader that if you've found them like that yourself ( especially the other Radix Tetrad novels ) - this book isn't like the rest of them.

This book is a good, solid work and is in my opinion in the league of a good Frank Herbert story.

As a person who enjoys Asimov, Clarke, Heinlein and so on, I'd say this book is at the fanciful end of the spectrum, there is an unmistakeable element of fantasy to it, but not in the sense that "silly magic" gets in the way of suspending disbelief. The concepts covered are grand in scale and the writer portrays them really, really well.

It can stand alone, without reading the other Radix Tetrad novels, and in my opinion, that's the way it works best ( I read it before, and after, the others before writing this review ).

I never thought I would say this, but this book stands out as ...dare I say it... a little-known classic - and whilst it's not the best science fiction story ever written, it's right up there and I haven't hesitated in recommending it to friends, who have enjoyed this too.

You should definitely read this book if you get the chance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Broaden your horizons, 13 July 2009
Got this book from a friend. He picked it up from a charity shop, had never heard of it before, the book that is. He had been in the shop several times previously.
The Last Legends of Earth is one of the best books I have ever read. I suggest you read it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A heartbreakingly brilliant work of stunning magnificence., 25 Nov 2013
As you can tell from the title: I'm a fan.

I've been reading Sci-f for about twenty years, and I'd never heard of this book.

The first few pages were a bit... odd. The language seemed a bit flowery and at first glance it seemed more fantasy than sci-fi, but as the story progressed it all fell into place.

And more than that. It's vision is a truly beautiful - and terrible - and eventually heart-breakingly fulfilling one.

A true masterpiece and something that should be read by anyone with even the most fleeting interest in sci-fi - hell, anyone with even the most fleeting interest in what it is to be human.

READ THIS BOOK NOW.

5.0 out of 5 stars The clear water pinnacle of an otherwise confusing but great series, 12 Jan 2011
This four-book lenght story is fractured in time, space, mentalities and backgrounds in a way very few writers could imagine. However I am not here to talk about the whole series, just the fourth and the last one, the book which reunites all the characters of the three previous books (not the the characters per se, but the species, like the zotl, Rimstalkers, Foke and so on).

As for an explanation to the title of this review all the work I have read of A. A. Attanasio (aka Adam Lee) has given an ever changing yet continuous sense that the author doesn't look the exact type of reality that most writers look for. In fact what we see is the most times sucessful attemptives of Attanasio in the creation of an extrareal, or in a better way, a surreal environment which washes our eyes of commom (and many times bad) lot of scifi/fantasy.

In opposition to the story, the prose (writing style) is what we're used to in most modern fiction, clear and free of figures of speech.

There is not much more to say, but anyone intending to buy the book you have ABSOLUTELY to read the previous volumes. While they're not directly linked, they enhance the experience and pleasure of reading "The Last Legends of Earth".