4.0 out of 5 stars A good effort
I might be overrating this a little but I ended up enjoying it more than I thought I might. It's a good, solid, suitably gritty serial killer flick.

Published 14 days ago by Richard Morton

2.0 out of 5 stars IT WAS A DARK SEDAN
Published 21 months ago by The Movie Guy

2.0 out of 5 stars IT WAS A DARK SEDAN, 28 April 2013
This review is from: Factory [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)
Gary (Dallas Roberts) has a hobby. He kidnaps prostitutes and impregnates them. He also kills a "pre-op transgender prostitute." (The best surprise is no surprise.) Mike Fletcher (John Cusack) and Kelsey Walker (Jennifer Carpenter) are two Buffalo detectives assigned to find the missing girls. This is not a who-dun-it. We see the culprit. The first part of the film establishes character and dysfunctional relationships. When Abby (Mae Whitman), Mike's prostitute looking daughter, becomes the latest missing victim, Mike crosses the line to find her.

First off, I love John Cusack, but he is no Liam Neeson. This doesn't have the action level or intensity of "Taken", or even "Taken 2." We watch as Mike tries to locate his daughter as well as we see his daughter being "cared for," so there is no feel of urgency for the audience as there is for Mike who is trying to piece things together. There is also a flashback sequence that pops up from time to time. This ties to a twist which made the film er, um...silly.

The movie is a "B" grade crime/drama/thriller. Might work as a rental. Soundtrack played "Shuffle off to Buffalo" for no apparent reason other than the fact it has the word "Buffalo" in it. Fairly lame.

Parental Guide: F-bombs, sex?, no nudity.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good effort, 13 Jan. 2015
Richard Morton (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Factory (Amazon Instant Video)

Inspired by actual events (apparently) it follows John Cusack as Buffalo detective Mike Fletcher, on the trail of an elusive serial killer, preying on the cities street walkers. One crazy coincidence later and Mikes own daughter is in trouble and the hunt takes on a whole new urgency.

It's not a whodunit as such, we're introduced to the killer very early in proceedings although the plot does take the odd twist and turn as things unfold, including a latter game changer you may or may not see coming. Cusack brings a touch of class as he often does, Mae Whitman puts in a little firecracker of a performance as the daughter and the rest of the acting is good enough. It has a stylish feel to it, aided largely by the snow laden Buffalo streets, and they manage to build a fair bit of tension for the closing stages.

It's similar in some ways to the likes of Kiss the Girls, Frozen Ground and Misery amongst others and overall I thought it was a better than average effort at this type of thing.

3.0 out of 5 stars The end kills it, 27 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Factory (Amazon Instant Video)
Typical Hollywooder to a certain extent entertaining. The challenge is that like with all these films you know more or less what is coming. However, the finish was the top of ridicule. I turned it off shaking my head.

3.0 out of 5 stars So, so., 13 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Factory (Amazon Instant Video)
Not bad, completely watchable, but prepare yourself for the twist at the end before you feel disappointed that you never saw it coming.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love John Cusack, 3 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Factory (Amazon Instant Video)
Definitely worth a watch. Love John Cusack, and he didnt let me down. Yes it is slightly predictable but still a few surprises :-D

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Messed Up!, 17 Jun. 2013
Miss AL Holloway (Oswestry) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Factory [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)
This movie does not seem to be available to buy as a region 2 Uk release. Shame.

It is actually a pretty good horror/crime thriller film. First of all, John Cusack! He is always awesome and here is no exception, he gives a great performance as usual. You may also recognise Jennifer Carpenter who plays Dexter's sister Deborah, and Sonya Walger (Lost, FlashForward).

I do not want to give too much away. If you do get the chance to see this, it is not your standard killer-thriller. The bad guy actually wants to create life, not end it, however his means of doing so are unsavoury to say the least. To start with I did think this was just going to be a normal slasher flick. I was so wrong!

You may know from near the beginning who the bad guy is, but that does not stop the tension. It takes awhile before his motive becomes completely clear, and when the twist became clear, I did think, "oh yeah, that is kind of obvious", but because I was not looking for it, it still came as a big surprise.

I just watched it for the second time and enjoyed it just as much. I realise I have not gone in to much detail, but I feel this film is best watched with as little info as possible so that the twist is not ruined. I really enjoyed it, it is totally messed up and weird, and all the things I like about horror movies, hopefully in the future it will get a proper UK dvd and blu ray release so more people can see it. If you do see it I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

1.0 out of 5 stars NO SUB=TITLES, 16 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Factory (DVD)
Unable to view and review because NO SUB-Titles once agai !

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 18 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Factory (Blu-ray)
good film nice twist at the end.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great film, 14 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Factory (Amazon Instant Video)
Not what I expected, great film.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 2 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Factory [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)
Worth a watch. Something abit different although slightly predictable. Would of been much happier if I could of purchased on region 2.

Factory [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]