on 6 July 2013
I am a fan of historical crime fiction but normally I would not touch anything connected with Ancient Rome. Jane Finnis, however, has avoided the mere bolting of a crime plot onto a school history lesson which so often characterizes this genre, and has created a likeable cast of characters dealing with believable situations. By setting her books in Roman Britain she engages our attention and we identify more closely with her heroine. Aurelia is a strong woman with a mind of her own; she does not always think in the same way that we do, but she is always believable and the series is an entertaining read. I will certainly be looking for more episodes in the future.
on 28 April 2014
I enjoyed this second novel about Aurelia. It's got plenty of action and puzzles. Unlike the first book though there were a few loose ends. One was who cracked the guard on the bonce at Clarus' house? There is less of the jaunty narrative that kept me in the first book. Shame but not a terminal thing. Still enjoyed it. 's Finnish also writes about places I know - York, the wolds and the east coast and that generates me to them. All ready started reading no. 3.
on 23 February 2014
I know this is a work of fiction but the oft (too oft in Jane's works) repeated phrase "or I'm the Queen of Brigantia" jarred as it is something no Roman would ever, ever say and, though only a small thing, sadly it had a negative effect on any credibility that the book was trying to achieve.
on 10 March 2014
Jane Finnis has given us another good story. I am really enjoying reading about Roman times. Having been to York and surrounding area's it is interesting to hear how things were in Roman times and how places like York grew I look forward to the next tale..
on 15 April 2013
I read and enjoyed the first Aurelia book. This is better. The author's writing style has become more fluid and it is written better.
The murders just keep coming as Aurelia's sister discovers that the man she plans to marry isn't who he says he is, instead being the wealthy son of a very pompous couple who pursue him to the Oak Tree to disinherit him if he marries beneath his status. Australia's brother Lucius is in disgrace and then there are the bandits offering "protection" .
A good read.
on 30 September 2013
A bitter chill deepens and expands characters met in earlier novels some old friends lost and new ones arriving and a very exiting and mysteriouse mystery in the middle well worth the read
on 6 February 2014
nothing to add from last review of Jane Finnis, just as enjoyable.looking forwarded to next, love living in her mind,as it were.
on 27 January 2015
Well, the second book is just as rollicking a good read as the first. I love the characters and the twisting plot lines.
on 22 April 2013
I was pleased to get the follow up from the first in the series and
have enjoed this one so much
on 5 March 2014
I like all of this authors books, I hope more are on kindle . I would like more of her books