4.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing
Published on 11 May 2012 by Marand

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty and practical but not a long term solution
Published 19 months ago by Fiona jones

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty and practical but not a long term solution, 26 Nov. 2013
I bought my large pink suitcase (not from amazon) and was thrilled it gave me lots of room and more weight to cram in on the strict airline rules. It lasted 2 trips abroad before there was a gaping hole in the bottom of the return flight of the last one, some of my stuff was poking out the bottom. I had initially used it for train travel etc and it was fine, it's just not practical for airline travel, it can't stand the rough handling

4.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing, 11 May 2012
Marand - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I have some perfectly good suitcases which have stood the test of time and frequent travel, but with ever decreasing baggage allowances and hefty charges for excess baggage, I didn't want to lose a third of the allowance to the weight of the suitcase alone. I came across a recommendation for these Sub-O cases on a travel forum. Mine is a different pattern to this one, but still very distinctive and easy to pick out at baggage reclaim.

The case is astonishingly light, to the point where you think it won't survive a single journey but after four flights, although there is some very slight marking on the fabric, there is no damage to stitching, zip, wheels or feet. The case has a ten year guarantee so I guess the manufacturers must be confident that their products aren't going to fall apart in no time. The case is pretty basic in terms of design - there is a lightweight frame, the interior is lined and has internal straps, and there are very simple slip-in pockets on the inside of the lid plus two external pockets. The handle, which is comfortable and effective in use, forms part of the frame. The advantage is that the base of the case is completely flat with no intruding bars.

I would be careful of buying too big a case as I think it is better that the case is packed full as this provides extra rigidity. Trying to pack the large size case to this extent would in all probability take you over the commonly applied 23kg single bag limit. The medium size case is quite deep and swallows far more than you would think.

UPDATE JULY 2013 My case has now completed its eighth international flight and is still going strong. It has acquired another slight mark on the fabric but otherwise is unharmed. The zip, feet, wheels and stitching are the same as the day I bought the case. I think I paid £40 for it - I've paid a lot more for suitcases that barely made the return trip so this one has proved to be a robust bargain.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great idea if you don't use airlines, 6 Feb. 2013
Bought 4 of these (not from amazon) and was initially delighted as we gained nearly 3 Kg of luggage per case vs our old cases.
After first use, cases had some cosmetic damage but not too bad.
After 2nd use with a long haul flight and US internal transfer, the cases are virtually wrecked.
Holes, bits of plastic protection ripped off.
wheels no longer in alignment.
We would not risk using them again.
The small print of the case guarantee does not cover damage by airlines so don't be fooled.
If you want lightweight cases, for airline use, I would suggest samsonite B-lite range.
I still don't understand why case manufacturers don't provide a facility to hide zip tags. Invariably these get ripped off, leaving it difficult to open. It can't be too hard to tuck them away somewhere. Case manufacturers take note as this is not a unique failure here.

5.0 out of 5 stars IT Worlds Lightest Sub-0-G ultra lightweight luggage., 10 May 2014
I now have several of these cases in various sizes and they are great. Really are lightweight and easy to handle. The wider than usual pull handle helps keep the case balanced without twisting like a narrow handle sometimes does. The material, although looking a bit fragile, seems very tough, and the one which has been to South Africa with me a few times is still in very good condition. I would not go back to any other type or make of case now.

4.0 out of 5 stars petroz, 19 Jun. 2012
This is an excellent case, it is surpringly strong and very light. It has survived airport handling mis-use very well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy with durability and performance, 18 Mar. 2015
I bought the largest size in this style suitcase back in 2010 as I was going on a 3 week trip to NZ and the baggage allowance was much less than i was expecting, so the superlightness was worth paying for. It's now 2015 and i'm still using the suitcase and it's still going strong. Since 2010, after the NZ trip it was been on about 8 long haul flights (most with connecting flights), as well as two european trips, and has coped well with them. It's looking a little battered around the edges in places, and it's best to inspect it after each flight for peace of mind, but I'm happy with the performance. I can't speak for the newer version which seems to have been redesigned, but when packed, it can sag a bit in the middle when its standing up, mostly due to the fact that as it's the large suitcase, if you packed it full you'd probably be over weight on allowance. It just makes you a bit paranoid that customs or someone will think you've got too much stuff. It would be nice if the wheels were ones that were 360 so you could wheel it easier, but not that fussed.

Mine is grey with red and white swirls so its also nice and easy to spot on the carousel.

I am considering buying the next size down, just so it's a bit easier to handle by myself (hopefully in lairy purple!) For the price and usage, i have been happy with my purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT FIT FOR AIRLINE TRAVEL, 1 Nov. 2012
Excellent concept but in reality will never last for 10 years. After one trip abroad material scuffed and a small hole in the side. Very disappointing.

2.0 out of 5 stars No guarantee, 14 Jan. 2015
This review is from: IT World's Lightest Sub-0-G Ultra Lightweight Luggage (Luggage)
Don't count too much on that "10 year manufacturer's guarantee". I bought one of these in black, size large, 3 years ago. When it broke and I contacted Landor & Hawa who make the suitcase, they asked if I had used the suitcase when I travelled by plane. I said yes, since that's when I usually need a lightweight suitcase, and I was told that it probably broke because the airport staff had been too rough with it, so Landor & Hawa didn't want to compensate for anything. It seems like the guarantee is only valid if you don't actually use your suitcase to travel(!???). Apart from the terrible customer service and the fact that the suitcase lasted less than 3 years of not-that-frequent use, it's still a nice suitcase because it's so lightweight and the wheels are good. The handle is also comfortable to hold and doesn't hurt your hands too much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality cabin luggage case., 8 July 2012
L. W. Newton "lwn83" (Nottingham, U.K.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I know this case is expensive but it is worth it, great quality and practical.

This case is LIGHT and it's claimed weight is correct, seeing as 5kg is the weight limit for hand luggage then the lighter the better, they are now weighing cabin luggage and becoming very strict about it.

The Sub-0-G has two external pockets, the top one being ideal for passports and the lower one for money/documents ETC, they are lockable buy using the cable loops on the zippers, a lock is NOT supplied.

Inside there is room for the usual hand luggage stuff there are adjustable clip together straps to keep items in place(rarely found on a small cabin case), there is also a zip up lining. On the inside of the lid there are 4 mesh pockets with elasticated tops, ideal for MP3 players/cameras ETC, keeping them in place and safe.

The handles on the case feel secure and well made, the pull out handle has a very comfy rubberised foam covering the case has very easy and quiet running wheels.

One thing to mention about this range of cases is the exposed wheels, I did spot a couple of the larger Sub-0-G cases on the carousel when we returned from holiday with damaged wheels, this may be a problem and is not covered by the ten year guarantee.

Excellent small case, great for hand luggage or a weekend away and comes with a 10 year guarantee on workmanship.

1.0 out of 5 stars It leaks like a sieve, 10 July 2013
I sought out this product because it is light. On its first outing it got rained on. Everything inside was soaked, including the tag on the luggage itself. I made a claim on the so-called guaranty and was told it was not waterproof and the guaranty did not cover leaks. What if I had been traveling with a suit or formalwear? Manufacturer said I should take it back to where I bought it!! Not the right answer. Also keep the tag attached to the handle and your receipt because you need both to claim the warranty,