5.0 out of 5 stars Worth your time
Wow... what to make of this. I own fifteen different recordings of this magnificent concerto on CD but am always on the look out for more.

Published 19 months ago by Jon

3.0 out of 5 stars Yes too fast
I agree with other reviewers that this is taken at such a pace that the melody is lost in some places. Don't know why the conductor didn't slow it down for the sake of the orchestra Quality of the Decca recording is of course excellent.
Published 6 months ago by mhk

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth your time, 6 Dec 2012
This review is from: Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No.3 (MP3 Download)

Technically, it's wonderful... but right from the first note you'll certainly notice there's something quite different about this performance compared to most you'll have heard before. If you thought Martha Argerich got through this piece quickly, prepare to hear it turned up a notch!

Lisitsa brings everything that I love about classical music to her rendition of this piece in offering a totally fresh, new and electrifying interpretation in which she plays the chordal (ossia) cadenza in the first movement, in a manner quite incomparable to any other pianist (in a good way).

This may not be for everyone, and indeed I do prefer a slower and more complete take such as that by Yefim Bronfman or Evgeny Kissin, but its recordings such as this which keep the piece fresh.

For the current price of 1.99, you can't afford not to have this in your collection.

3.0 out of 5 stars Yes too fast, 31 Dec 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No.3, 12 Sep 2013
This review is from: Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No.3 (MP3 Download)
This is my favourite piece of classical music, and this is a superb recording. Lisitsa plays with passion and skill.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing recording!, 1 Sep 2013
This review is from: Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No.3 (MP3 Download)
I've always been a fan of Valentina Lisistsa. I love this recording! I also like Van Cliburn's recording <3 <3

3.0 out of 5 stars As I feared..., 31 July 2013
This review is from: Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No.3 (MP3 Download)
...the cadenza was too fast. I don't doubt Ms. Lisitsa's technical skill at all, but I do find her musical interpretation questionable here. I don't have a problem with the rest of the concerto being played a little briskly, but the cadenza just felt too rushed; it loses the atmosphere and I'm quite sure means she made far more mistakes than if she'd played just a touch slower.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Powerful Performance, 16 Dec 2012
This review is from: Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No.3 (MP3 Download)
Valentina Lisitsa has again produced a wonderful recording of Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No.3. She certainly has an infinity with his music. Can thoroughly recommend this CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, furious and fabulous, 13 Dec 2012
E. W. Collier "tobyfin" (Cheltenham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No.3 (MP3 Download)
I've been following Lisitsa's career for some years - since she was but a glimmer in the eye of YouTube. I was lucky enough to be at her Royal Albert Hall debut earlier this year, and I've been eagerly awaiting the release of her Rachmaninov concerti. I haven't been disappointed. I'm not sure she brings anything very new to this well-known work, but her playing is very fine; expressive, full of dynamic fire and energy, and because it's extremely well-recorded one can hear elements that have been missed in other releases. I look forward to the remainder of the set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic !, 9 Dec 2012
This review is from: Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No.3 (MP3 Download)
We have it every way - a few of us watched Valentina record this with the LSO at Abbey Road. Before she began, the orchestra were quick to express their anticipation with a cheer, clapping and whistles because they'd already "discovered" this amazing pianist through their Rach #2 recording with her (also recently released). I automatically buy her recordings - they are long awaited. Valentina is taking her rightful place as a major contributor among classical recording artists. I already have the Argerich version of this concerto and now I have Valentina's, only right and proper !

5.0 out of 5 stars Valentina goes Olympic - Wow?, then WOW!, 8 Dec 2012
This review is from: Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No.3 (MP3 Download)
At the first hearing I confess I was left breathless and on edge by the vivid tempo of the first movement where Valentina exceeds Martha Argerich's controversial pace, and all but matches it in the third movement. (Check the respective track times for each artist - Valentina's are shorter). I found myself distractedly wondering if she had a train to catch, or was paying for studio time by the second. I don't want to be distracted like this, I much prefer to be sucked into the passionate swirl and tidal wash of Rachmaninov, as well as to drift around the misty melancholic oxbow sweeps in his musical river. Instead I became preoccupied with whether the soloist and orchestra would be perfunctorily tossed out of their white water raft...

However that was strictly first impressions. After a third listen, once my brain had adjusted to the Olympic style of attack I began to marvel at the emerging musicality of this distinctive and original performance. It's all here, whether it be delicate stacatto tracery, limpid lyricism or virtuosic crescendos that you seek. Thanks to that fabulous Bosendorfer grand (it is, isn't it?) and Valentina's courage to really give it its fully pedalled head in the first movement cadenza, the reverberating soundworld in my headphones temporarily flipped from oceanic to inter-galactic.

Great, greater, greatest performance of Rach 3? Listen and decide for yourselves. I simply feel privileged to be alive and still kicking at a time when a performance of this calibre is released. Moreover (not that it really matters) it currently comes at fraction of the price of the benchmark Argerich version. I for one can't wait for the rest of Valentina's 'Rachmaninov project'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Valentina Lisitsa, 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No.3 (MP3 Download)
A storming performance by a magnificent talent. She is probably the best pianist around. This download is very good value

Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No.3
Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No.3 by London Symphony Orchestra and Michael Francis and Valentina Lisitsa
Buy MP3 Album2.49