Format: Audio Download|Change
Price:£16.60

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 1 November 2012
The above title is what the BBC call Danny Baker on their website, and I write this just as it is announced that danny's show on Radio London is to be axed. The BBC eh? What are they playing at? anyway, the book...

Well it's been available in bookshops since the weekend so I don't know why Amazon are delaying on it. Maybe they knew about today's news...? Nevertheless whenever it comes out I would urge anyone who has more than a passing interest in football, music, music journalism, radio, TV, humour and of course the joi de vivre that no doubt helped him in recovering from cancer to read this book. It is as filled with good humour and self depreciation as you might expect but also deals with some career and life lows as well as the many highs. The book is an easy read - it is a relatively compact volume considering the anecdotes packed in here, there must be a follow up as well - but that is no bad thing as there is absolutely no padding to be seen. The book is a genuine joy and will be the only "Celebrity" biography I buy this season, which I suppose is the highest recommendation I can give.
33 comments|103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 November 2012
Warm, funny, shocking, honest. It's like the red button version of the radio show. To the dolts who sacked him from BBC London, read it and weep. Dan, it turns out we never knew you...but we know you better now. Here's hoping that the freeing up of some time means we get Part II (and III) as soon as you like.
Understand there's also to be an audio version.. Attack! Attack! Attack! Can't wait.
Best autobiography since Tom Baker's, 'Who on Earth'... actually (whisper it) this is better.
on 28 November 2012
This book is great fun, full of juicy anecdotes and hilarious stories. It isn't, nor does it profess to be, soul baring or confessional, nor does it need to be. Danny Baker is a gifted writer with an easy sense of pace and rhythm, and a confident ability to wander off down little tangents without damaging the flow. And he has led a life plenty interesting enough to spare us intimate revelations.

I believe he is also quite prolific. I certainly hope so because this is an annoying book. It ends too soon, there is much more juicy stuff just waiting in the wings. I don't suppose there was any point he could have paused the story without leaving us wanting more.

So come on, Danny. Hurry up. We know you're a quick writer, it feels like there's another couple of books worth to come, maybe more. Don't hang about. I want you to tell all the stories I already know, and the ones I don't too.
on 17 November 2012
Read this book in 2 days absolutely outstanding book and even though I come from Bermondsey I can tell you all that we are very proud of the Candy man and we are already gagging for the next two instalments of the trilogy. Well done Danny and to BBC radio London 'you have lost the plot'
on 5 November 2012
As someone who used to listen to The Candyman six times a week (from Phoenix, Arizona) I've been waiting for this book for the past two years when he announced he had started writing it. I had high expectations and it surpassed them. Shouldn't be surprised really when you hear his anecdotes on the air and IMDB him and see what quality he's written in the past.

I loved every page and didn't want it to end. Just brilliant.
on 21 November 2012
I must admit to being a huge Danny Baker fan , so i was keen to get his autobiography when i came out , now i used to listen to him everyday when he was on BBC London , he used to share some of these stories , but in this book he goes into much more detail , of course he shares many more stories too, this book is very well written and is very funny definitely one of the funniest books ive read all year , id throughly recommend it especially if you like Mr Bakers work
on 7 November 2012
I've listened to Danny (aka The Candyman) on Radio London and its Predecessors for many years. What some people may not know is that the words spoken by the likes of J.Ross at the awards are also Danny's. He'a a great writer and tells an interesting and amusing tale. I enjoyed the book - what more can I say? - apart from buy it yourself!
on 2 November 2012
One of the most inventive and original broadcasters ever, anywhere. He has been a must read, listen to, watch for me since his Sniffing Glue debut. Danny never fails to put a fresh perspective on a familier theme. If there is a man alive who has a better more entertaining grasp on pop culture I havent met him. Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, but always certain. Buy the book.
on 8 November 2012
Amidst all the shallow comedy biogs that emerge at this time of year, Danny's story stands head and shoulders above anything published in the last five years. An easy read, and several laugh out loud moments. (Apologies to customers of Lloyds Bar Chichester). Inevitably it will be read initially by Danny's fan base, but on the strength of his prose it deserves a much wider audience. Interesting timing by BBC Radio London "pin heads" to sack him the week this superb book is published!
on 1 December 2012
Was expecting a great read and that is what i got.Sadly the bosses of radio stations dont agree.He is just too much of a maverick for them.Its no surprise that the only show he does on the radio now is the awful show he does for Radio 5 which is a watered down version of his late lamented BBC London show.He should be on daytime national radio doing a show like his BBC London show instead of muppets like Chris Evans and Steve Wright who cant do a radio show without a script.Radio 2 employs Vanessa Feltz for gods sake.Look forward to the 2nd volume because i would love to hear if he feels he didnt reach the peak which his talent deserves.Does he really want to be remembered for Win Lose or Draw and Pets Win Prizes and a Radio 5 show with no music?.