on 9 July 2013
The first of these kettles I purchased had a problem with the lid (see other reviews for similar comments). Today the lid failed again. The hinge part is quite weak and the button moves a plastic rod that pushes the lid to open it. The prong seems to wear as time goes by, becoming less effective after about 6 months. The first kettle failed to open the lid, and so had a replacement under warranty. With the second kettle, the hinge broke, the lid fell off and allowed boiling water out. Fortunately my son who used it was not hurt (although a little sore). The worst part of all this is that when the first one went (after about 13 months) Russell Hobbs denied there was an issue with the lid when obviously there is as several reviewers have pointed out!

So given poor design and build, and poor customer service this gets one star - and that is just for the fact that when new it does indeed boil water...

Please note I did not buy this from Amazon, but in looking for a new one this came up on the search and I thought I should warn potential customers.
1515 comments| 214 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 December 2013
NOTE: THE REVIEWS FOR THIS KETTLE WERE SO BAD THAT THEY CREATED A NEW LISTING WITH NO REVIEWS. THIS REVIEW IS FROM THE OTHER LISTING, PUBLISHED 18 MONTHS EARLIER.

The problem with these reviews is that most are written immediately after purchase, so when the product has a serious design flaw that only shows up after weeks or months, that isn't reflected in the comments. The design of the lid on this kettle is such that it is guaranteed to fail, probably between the first and second years. When it does, you will have to throw the kettle away because Russell Hobbs will not supply a spare lid, will not admit that thousands of customers have this problem and will place the burden on you of getting it fixed.

My kettle lasted 14 months before the lid completely seized up. My advice is, avoid Russell Hobbs products - this company is contemptuous of its customers!

Added 18/2/13
This review and many more like it have been published here for almost a year. Yet, Russell Hobbs continue to market this kettle KNOWING that it has a number of serious flaws which virtually guarantee it wont last much beyond a year - if you're lucky. What does that tell you about Russell Hobbs? And why has Amazon not withdrawn it from sale?

DONT LET THESE COMPANIES RIP YOU OFF.
1515 comments| 259 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 January 2013
This kettle is less than 6 months old and the lid will not lift up. Upon investigation the lid device is shoddy and totally inadequate for this style of kettle. I have seen other reviews for this kettle with exactly the same problem.
Please do not waste your money as it is expensive. You can look at the kettle and think that looks good. However if you cannot fill it up it is totally useless!
33 comments| 125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 January 2013
We bought this kettle for its good looks. For a few months it worked well then the lid started sticking. We looked it up on Amazon reviews and others had had this same problem. We found some instructions to free it,which we used and it promptly started again. The trouble is that the spout is so small that you cannot easily fill the kettle without the lid open.

Eventually we gave up and the 10 month old kettle was replaced under warranty (With no quibble from Amazon!) However EXACTLY the same thing happened to the replacement. And here is the bad news: you don't get a replacement for the replacement!!! so less than 2 years down the line we had an expensive kettle that was not working with exactly the same fault. I will not be buying another Russell Hobbs kettle.

It is a shame a simple hand removable lid would be simpler to make, simpler to construct and totally avoid this, obviously VERY common fault.

I do not mind buying an expensive kettle if it lasts!
88 comments| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 March 2015
Simply put, don't even consider buying. I've had this kettle for little over a year now and guess what? The lids hinge has snapped, which honestly isn't surprising judging from other reviews. The two hinge joints are about 5mm by 2.5mm so it will happen its just a case of when it will happen.

It may look like a great kettle but don't be fooled.
review image
on 18 May 2015
I didn't buy my kettle from Amazon but read all the negative reviews and thought I should share my experience.

Exactly as many reviewers have said, the lid of my kettle broke less than two years after purchase. I tried to source a replacement lid, but with no success. I then read all the negative reviews, realised that the lid breaking was a common fault, and felt very upset.

I then went onto the Russell Hobbs website, and saw that they even published the bad reviews on their own website! So I wondered how best to deal with the problem. In the end I decided to email them. I used their customer contact page and wrote an email detailing the fault, the fact that the kettle wasn't cheap and if I'd only paid £14.99 for it I still would have been disappointed, and told them one of the reason for buying a Russell Hobbs was that my parents still have, and use, the Russell Hobbs coffee percolator that they received as a wedding present in 1966.

The next day I received an email from their Customer Services, advising me that they offered a full two-year guarantee for this item. I could either give them my proof of purchase, or failing that the number from the rating label on the base of the kettle, and they would replace it if it had been either purchased or manufactured within the last two years. I didn't have the receipt to hand, so gave the numbers from the rating label and heard no more.

That was last Wednesday evening. It's now Monday morning and I have just unwrapped a mystery parcel, which turned out to be a brand new kettle, exactly the same.

The moral of my story is, although there is obviously a design/manufacturing fault with the kettle, it's worth taking the time to email Russell Hobbs before giving up on the item, as even if you don't have your proof of purchase they will still honour their own guarantee based on the manufacturing date. I'm going to email them now and thank them as well.
22 comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 September 2013
Nice to look at and use, however the lid has now broken off by the hinge and the seal leaks when pouring, leaving hot water on the surface - don't buy.
on 18 October 2013
This is such a BAD pouring kettle it borders on the dangerous.
If you have a low water level, before it pours the steam comes
out around the lid and catches your hand if your not careful.
33 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 January 2014
I bought this kettle from Amazon almost 2 years ago, to replace a similar glass kettle from Lakeland Plastics where the lid broke after only a few months. I thought this Russell Hobbs was better and more sturdy, and it has been an attractive kettle which many visitors admired. Such a shame then that this lid broke suddenly in use yesterday. This is a fault that others have noted more recently with their kettles so I have to assume that the fault is in the design with this type of lid which makes this kettle potentially unsafe and I will not be buying another. I have, though, ordered a Breville Glass Kettle as a replacement and hope that will last longer.
on 17 February 2014
PROS:
o It does look pretty, watching blue lit boiling water is kind of nifty.
o Nice spring loaded lid too.

CONS:
o The limescale build-up does take the shine off a little. You may need to at least rinse out a few floating chunks now and then.
o The spout/filter seems to clog up making it awkward to pour. It's probably easily fixed, although is a bit of a design flaw somewhat unique to this kettle.