5.0 out of 5 stars My review after having it for 24 hours:
Build quality: Pretty good, although inferior to Macbook Pro/Air aluminium body. Really like the leather/rubberised texture over the area where the hand rests. Some reports of the rubberised coating or orange paint peeling around the edges after a few months, which Lenovo does not cover under warranty as it is considered wear and tear, will need to wait and see...
Published 14 months ago by dthom12

3.0 out of 5 stars Lenovo
Arrived very quickly, looks really good, fast and starts up quickly. On the first phase of windows updates, the touchscreen was unfortunately disabled, checked the Lenovo website and within the forums this issue is well documented but Lenovo at the time of writing do not give a clear solution to the problem, this item has been returned to Amazon. I was aware of the...
Published 16 months ago by Bubble

5.0 out of 5 stars My review after having it for 24 hours:, 21 Aug 2013

Fan noise: Was noisy initially as the fan was continuously on. Fortunately there is a fix for this on the Lenovo forums that involves changing BIOS setting which results in the fan remaining idle under less intensive use. Some people have reported increased heat following this change but I have not noticed this. Does appear to be quieter following the update.

Keypad: A lot of people have commented of the flex in the middle, although I have not noticed this in mine, so perhaps I just got lucky. The reduced shift key and backspace key takes some getting used to.

Touchpad: scrolling was inverted following the windows updates (124 of them!) -this can be changed in the mouse settings. Sensitivity is fine for the moment.

Volume: The volume rocker button the side is inverted in laptop mode, this is because it is oriented to when it's used in tablet mode. The volume itself is rather low when maxed out, this is after I have disabled all enhancements.
Hard drive: Mine is 128 GB which is partitioned to 102 GB and 4 GB. The 102 GB C drive has about 65 GB of usable space. I believe that earlier models were shipped with just a 75 GB hard drive but it appears that Lenovo has corrected this on later models. Mine appears to be from April 2013. For those who have the earlier model, would like to increase their space but are not savvy enough to repartition it themselves, there is a hotfix on the Lenovo website that does it for you. I intent to add in a 256/480 GB hard drive at some point but will wait for the price to decrease further and in the meantime make do with 32/64GB SD cards for multimedia instead. Speed is great, takes 9s to start windows when shut off and 9s to turn it off.

Screen: Can't really fault it. Pretty bright and great colours. Is reflective and fingerprint prone, to be expected from Gorilla Glass. Some reports of people scratching it when using a stylus, there is screen protector available, but given the reported difficulties in applying it perfectly I'm going to leave it alone. Some people have reported flickering/spontaneous brightness changes; this has been resolved by turning the adaptive brightness off. Some people have reported screen failure which appears to be a hardware issue with the earlier units. Lenovo did replace those under warranty although in many cases appear to have taken up to two months (!) to replace it.

Tablet mode: Some people have felt uneasy about the keypad/touchpad being exposed. I have not found it to be an issue and apart from it being rather unwieldy as it is almost 14 inches, appears to work very well.

Battery: Managed over 5.5 hours of continuous use which included a number of restarts and after charging it up again, over 3.5 hours of continuously playing a full HD video. The battery will not charge beyond 60% if set for optimal battery health and since there is no evidence that suggests that this will enhance battery life I have disabled it. A lot of owners have reported significant drop in battery capacity in a year (over 60%). I will be keeping a close eye on this. It is possible to replace the battery but they are expensive (as there are limited batteries available) and involved opening it up, which voids warranty.

Bloatware: Some, as expected, but wasn't too bad, I just deleted most of it. Contains MS Office and MacAfee trial.

All in all happy with it, especially at my purchase prize (£760) but I wouldn't call it perfect, will reserve that for the second generation Yogas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little laptop with lots of battery life, 11 Jun 2013
I wanted a lightweight laptop with a long battery life and this machine full fills this. I also looked at purchasing an ipad but wanted to be able to connect a memory stick to my machine and have the use of a fixed keyboard. The computer is just great for me. It is light and flexible. I love all the apps it came with, in fact I can't keep my husband off it in the morning looking at the travel destinations and weather apps. The battery has lasted for over 10 hours before I have changed it which is a lot better than my old machine where I was charging it after only 2 hours use. Another bonus is that you can connect it to your TV via the HDMI socket, allows us to watch catch-up TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing piece of kit that just takes some getting used to, 18 Mar 2013
This review is from: Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 13-inch Touchscreen Convertible Ultrabook (Silver Grey) - (Intel Core i7 3517U 1.9GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8) (Personal Computers)
This laptop is pretty pricey, however it's still well within what I'd call the ultrabook spec range, around the middle. I'm going to go through the pros and cons:

Cons:

No backlit - this is a bit of a let down but the only place I'd use it is in bed where I'd have it in tablet of stand mode, so not too fussed

Only 4gb of RAM - this is about the minimum expectation, I'm going to upgrade this

Only 128gb hard drive - its filled with Lenovo stuff, and there's a massive partition for Lenovo recovery, however this is easy to fix and, as there's a second msata slot, I'm going to add another msata ssd

No Ethernet port - this is a real downer, but they've had to get rid of it to make it so THIN and there's wifi practically everywhere nowadays

The fans are on constantly - In a quiet room this gets annoying but I usually have music on or something so it doesn't matter, plus Lenovo are apparently working on a fix for that.

Pros:

Amazing screen - 1600x900 is perfect for 13in in my opinion, and the touch-screen is great too, really responsive

Performance - really nippy, its never lagged, even with many tabs open and other games, documents etc in the background

build quality - like most of lenovos products, this thing is solid, still not going to make me drop it on the floor though

keyboard - really well set out, there is a little bit of depression in the middle but its fine, if only the right shift and backspace buttons were a little bigger but I'm used to it now

Trackpad - up to now I've never seen a good windows trackpad, this one is responsive, has good multitouch gestures and doesn't get sticky/slow, although I use it rarely because of the touchscreen

The yoga part - this is obviously the Yogas biggest selling point, it may seem like a gimmick but it's is actually incredibly helpful. I've found myself on many occasions typing up a document and finishing it, flipping it into a tablet as I go downstairs and putting it into stand mode when I want to show it to
someone. It doesn't sound like much, but this thing makes moving around the house with your work easy and not awkward at all. The hinges are also really sturdy and don't look like they're going to weaken over time. Also, in tablet mode, although the trackpad and keyboard are pressing against my fingers, it's fine, you get used to it and think nothing of it.

It's also quite a good looking machine too

Battery life - amazing. It's simple, I'm a heavy user and I only charge it once a day, and the charging is definitely something to write home about, it takes an hour to charge and lasts 8 hours! (maximum)

Windows 8 - whilst it takes time getting used to, it's actually quite a good OS bar a few niggles. Not everything is seamless and the app store is definitely not good enough yet. I believe there will be many more apps arrive over time as this is a brand new operating system so we got to give it a chance, and once you give it that chance you realise it's quite good and also quite fun. Although I think a touchscreen is a must for it.

Overall I love this thing, and although I've only had it for a couple of weeks now, I believe this is really something to be writing about. It is something special. It is £1,000 well spent and it's already turned heads. The pros easily outweigh the cons and the cons are only really niggles, some of which are fixable.

For me it was between this and the dell flippy one (cant remember the name). I chose this because it was slightly bigger which I needed and I don't think the Dell's mechanism is as sturdy. It also cost another £200 for the same specs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic tablet/ultrabook at a great price, 21 Jun 2013
Charles Wells "Lord Giveth" (London UK) - See all my reviews
Love this tablet! It looks great and I really like being able to move from laptop to tablet mode. Windows RT once you get the hang of it is a very good operating system certainly for me and the it is a real bonus that it ships with a free Office 2013 suite which enables me to work when travelling with ease. I prefer RT to full Windows 8 on this type of machine as it is leaner and quicker and let's face it no one was complaining that the OS on the ipad was not the full Mac OS.
Anyway the only niggles have been that the screen is super dim when watching film due to the Lenovo power saver function, so disable that and you will get a nice bright screen. Also using external Bluetooth speakers can be problematic unless you turn of the Wi-Fi (they don't seem to be able to run at the same time). Other than that this is an excellent purchase - just don't expect it to be the same as an ipad or Google tablet or a Windows laptop as it isn't, not is it trying to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good to use and good to look at, 24 Sep 2013
The key quality for any laptop or tablet is that it's efficient and practical to use, which this is, i.e. it's flexible as can be used conventionally as a laptop on the desk (with keyboard or touchscreen - a real asset) but can also be used flat as a tablet when on the move. Design is important to me and this computer looks great - though only the orange version, I'd say as the silver/grey one is a little more ordinary.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING! Ultrabook and ipad all in one!, 22 Jun 2013
Firstly let me tell you where I am coming from I am not loyal to one brand far from it I will switch to what best suits my needs. Twelve months ago I had an iphone, Ipad and a Macbook pro.

I now have a Windows Phone , Yoga and my ipad.

The yoga is tremendous, its an ipad yet also a laptop in one! The ipad is an amazing piece of kit but its more for consumption rather than production, the yoga and Windows 8 is great for both, have it in laptop mode to get some serious work done, flip it in to say tent mode to watch a movie and then into tablet mode to do some web browsing or reading.

Cons:

1)No backlit keyboard is a bit of a pain but you could type using the on screen keyboard in tablet mode
2)128gb SSD - we all want bigger :-) but look at it like this its as big as the biggest ipad and has an SD card slot so can be expanded like that. Plus you get 7gb of Skydrive storage for free!

Pros:

1) The YOGA bit, its not a gimmick this is a new way of making computers and it really makes windows 8 shine, you are getting multiple devices in one package!! I personally have the i5 version it cost £750 I think thats pretty decent value.
The different modes are great for standing it up while cooking, laying in bed or on the sofa, plus unlike say a regular tablet you can actually get proper things done!

2) Its really fast!

3) Its lightweight!

4) The battery is really good once a day charge is fine

5) You get a really long power cable

6) Some internet geeks moan about the screen not being retina display etc, its still HD and its 13 inches! it looks great

7) USB 3.0 port and HDMI port

8) Memory card slot

To conclude great product at a good price I got mine at PC world, my Macbook is for sale on Amazon is anyone fancies it! ;-)

Regards

5.0 out of 5 stars Xmas Present, 21 Jan 2014
So far so good after 1 month. Managing OK with Wondows 8. Connects well with wifi and can view netflix iplayer etc. Beautiful looking piece of IT

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it, but wary, 5 May 2013
My new laptop arrived very fast & I loved it, until after just a couple of days use it locked me out and I was unable to use it. I complained to Amazon, who were great and sent me a replacement immediately and so far, so good, but I'm worried it will happen again. I was told (in PC World) that this is a known problem with Lenovo and something to do with their in built virus protection. However, they are on the case and hopefully my replacement laptop will be of a newer batch.

Provided I have no further issues as at first, the laptop is great. I love being able to use it touch screen, as well as with the keyboard. I love the fact it had the Windows programs I'm used to already installed and that it is ready for use as soon as I open it up.

The only reason I've only given it 4 stars is because of my initial problem, which did make me consider a refund, rather than a replacement.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Lenovo Yoga 11, Amazon and Windows RT, 23 May 2013
Living in the south of Tenerife I do not have easy access to the latest technology without making a 100 mile return journey to the capital, Santa Cruz. So when I was on holiday in the UK recently I took the opportunity to look round PC World. What I thought I wanted was an ultra-book computer with a high quality touch screen. My hobby is researching my family history and I need a good quality screen for looking online at old documents, census and Wills etc. I have an iPad 3 which is very good but ideally I wanted something with a bit bigger screen and an attached keyboard.
PC World had a large range of laptop computers all running either Windows 8 or Windows RT so I was able to check out a particular photo that was available on every computer and compare the resolution/definition, brightness, colour and contrast on each computer. Eventually I found two that were the best of the bunch (all laptops etc. not just convertibles and ultra-books), the Sony Duo 11 and the Lenovo Yoga 11. Both the Sony and the Lenovo were ultra-book convertibles that can be used as either a laptop or as a tablet computers.
The Sony Duo had a much better Spec than the Yoga, Intel Core i5 processor, 4GB RAM, 128GB SDD, 1920 x 1080 resolution and Windows 8 as opposed to Nvidia T30 Quad core processor, 2GB RAM, 64GB SDD, 1366 x 768 resolution and Windows RT. However, I was not convinced that the cantilever screen that converted the Sony Duo from a tablet to a laptop was sturdy enough and the battery life according to reviews lasted only 3-4 hours, compared to 13 hours with the Yoga. The Sony keyboard was quite small and did not have a touch pad and last but not least the Sony was double the price of the Yoga. It is interesting to note that with my photo comparison even on full zoom there was virtually no apparent difference in the photo definition between the two computers.
After doing some research via Google on the Sony and the Yoga I decided to buy the Lenovo Yoga 11 but PC World were out of stock so I checked out Amazon who had them in stock at the same price as PC World, £499 and I ordered one for delivery to my home in Tenerife. Amazon raised an export invoice for the Yoga less VAT and within 24 hours it was sitting in the UPS office in Madrid where it sat for the next two weeks waiting for an export document that had been lost. After several emails to both UPS and Amazon plus several phone calls it turned out that Amazon had been faxing the document to the wrong UPS office who it would appear had just ignored it. Amazon it must be said were very attentive and apologetic and refunded the delivery cost and gave me a £5 credit voucher. However, I noted that the price of the Yoga had now been reduced by a £100 to £399 which, when I emailed Amazon and told them that I had still not taken delivery of the computer through no fault of my own they promptly refunded the difference. My computer eventually arrived and I had to pay some 54 Euros VAT equivalent which is half what it is in the UK.
What struck me about the Yoga was its versatility, the fact that I could not only use it as a conventional laptop but as a tablet or, in “tent” or in “stand” mode which is the mode that I use the most when not typing. At first I had one or two problems when changing between one mode and another as it would appear that the keyboard did not switch off quick enough and any pressure on keys completely screwed the computer to such an extent that I had to do a “Refresh” to get everything back in order. However, since doing the Refresh and opening and closing the screen a few times I have had had no further problems.
The screen is every bit as good as I had hoped and compared to my 15” Asus Series X54C laptop is much, much better. I am not a touch typist but I am a fast two finger typist and I find the keyboard to be perfect for my requirements. The touchpad works well as does the touch screen. I am not interested in games so I can only report on my own personal use. The sound is not as loud as my iPad but never the less it is clear and undistorted. The Yoga has two USB ports, a full size HDMI port and a memory card slot. There is also a front facing integrated camera for video communication. The screen can be locked in portrait or landscape mode via a press switch on the front right hand side.
The Yoga comes with Windows RT preinstalled and this was my main concern when deciding whether to buy the Yoga or the Sony Duo which has Windows 8. I had upgraded my Asus laptop when Windows 8 first came out and got it for a very good price but it must be said that I hated it, not all of my legacy programs would work on Windows 8 but I found that I could run most of them from the Internet such as, Kayak, Catch etc where Apps were not available and I could “Pin” them to the start screen.
From what I have learned, Windows RT was developed for use with ARM processors that are very battery efficient and are therefore ideal for mobile phones and tablets. The problem is that Windows RT does not support legacy programs. I was misinformed by an otherwise very helpful member of PC World’s staff who gave me the impression that I could run most of my legacy programs, in particular, Family Tree Maker on the Yoga which I have now found out is not the case. There is, however a very good Family Tree Maker reader and I can run the associated program, Ancestry.com via the Internet on the Yoga.
Windows RT works very well with the touch screen on the Yoga and dare I say it I am beginning to like it, Windows that is. I think that MicroSoft made a mistake in calling it “Windows” as it is an almost completely new OS designed for mobiles and touch screens in particular, similarly with Windows 8. Windows 8/RT have a lot going for them but you have to forget what you know about previous versions of Windows and be prepared to learn what Windows 8/RT has to offer and read the manual.
Finally, would I buy the Lenovo Yoga 11 again despite a new version being released (Lenovo 11s £699 with Windows 8)? Yes definitely. And would I buy from Amazon again? The same answer, yes definitely. When things go wrong that’s how you judge a company and Amazon dealt with my delivery problem very well.
I have rated it four stars because of it's versatility, build quality and the very good screen resolution.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lenovo IdeaPad is great, 15 Aug 2013
Takes a while to get used to though.

The Supplier was excellent and the product is great but....

If you are using this as your main device (i.e home working etc), it is a bit on the small side. It is my main device but I have now linked it to a wireless mouse and key board and to a monitor and it effectively acts as my desktop and laptop when I am out and about. Beware also that Lenovo is a bit of a pain to deal with - great products but their support is not great.