5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and different 'Cop' film.
As you may have noticed, the reviews of this film are up and down; some praise it to the nines, others think it's a load of huey! Well each to their own I guess. If we all liked the same things, ate the same food, listened to the same music, talked the same and looked the same it would be a colossally boring world hey?

I had my preconceptions before I watched...
Published 14 months ago by T. S. C.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great steelbook .
Great steelbook , good quality picture but just didn't enjoy the movie if you like this movie I'm sure you'll love this steelbook with extras .
Published 2 months ago by James McDougall

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and different 'Cop' film., 22 Jun 2013
T. S. C. (Somewhere in NW England.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: End of Watch [DVD] [2012] (DVD)

I had my preconceptions before I watched the film, but very quickly they dissolved and what I found rather than the usual utterly violent, gritty, angry, tough American cop drama, was a film that although about two police officers working in Los Angeles' very dangerous South Central area, known for violent gangs and big drug dealers and murders and violent crimes by the dozen, is actually a bromance, about two friends on the same 'beat' telling jokes to each other, swearing, laughing, being offensive and making sleazy jokes about their women, you know typical guys everywhere, as they ride around their pitch in LA. What happens, and I won't go over the plot or spoil it for you, is they cross serious players and then the film kicks into another gear as they become marked men. Both lead actors in the movie are very good and watchable and convincing, Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Pena, who play the cop buddies, and there is an outstanding performance by an actor called Maurice Compte who plays 'Big Evil'; not a guy you'd want to cross in an alley on a light night let alone a dark night!

All in all, a very enjoyable, if violent, cop movie with a difference.

5.0 out of 5 stars The view from [...], 1 Sep 2013
This review is from: End of Watch [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
I saw a trailer to this movie back a few weeks ago and it must be said it looked all a bit.. ho hum... seen it all before.
The reviews came out and they were positive so I gave it a go, not expecting too much...boy was I wrong!
Filmed almost documentary style, gritty, snappy dialogue from the great two leads (Peria and Gyllenhaal) this is pretty much like a two hour episode of the superb US TV show The Shield.
Not just one of the surprise packages of the year, but one of the standout films of 2012.

Unmissable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally; an excellent cop-movie without involving corruption, 20 Nov 2012
J. Morris "Josh" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: End Of Watch [Blu-ray] [2012] (Blu-ray)
End of Watch features Jake Gyllenhaal (Source Code) as Officer Brian Green and Michael Peña (Battle: Los Angeles) as his partner Officer Mike Zavala. The guys patrol a predominately Hispanic neighbourhood in down-town L.A. with a reputation for violence. The hood-mounted-camera based opening scenes see the guys get the baddies and the two become the cocksure heroes of the department. But when they continue to make strides in denting crime in the area, they step on the toes of some much more serious cartel criminals who have no respect for the law. As we see Officer Green and Zavala's personal lives bloom, it becomes clear that they are risking their lives on and off the job for the thrill of the chase, will they make it home alive?

Filmed as a series of POV cameras (either the hand-held the guys carry, their button cams or the mandatory dash/hood cams) this film documents the rise of two young and upcoming stars of the L.A.P.D. - both actors provide a tangible and affable relationship that really comes across - they honestly seemed to be the best of friends and this made the story and surrounding plotlines extremely believable. Anna Kendrick (Up In The Air) plays Gyllenhaal's plausible love-interest and deserves some credit for carrying the slower emotional side of the story - however the action is frenetic and continual. The duo get themselves into more fire-fights than the last stand at the Alamo and the direction, cinematography and choreography are all impeccable - credit to director David Ayer (he directed Training Day to give you an idea) - there is an excellent hip-hop based but laced with mariachi soundtrack to boot.

Most refreshingly, this steers well clear of the usual corrupt-cop story selling out someone in the department à la The Departed and comes across as much, much more original - it's a simple a premise as that. Cops bust bad guys; bad guys fight back - who comes out on top? Resultantly, I was stuck to my seat for the duration, weighing in at 109 minutes including credits. Highly recommended for a cop movie that expends more ammunition than your average war-film.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth seeing, if flawed, 15 Dec 2012
K. Gordon - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: End Of Watch [Blu-ray] [2012] (Blu-ray)
Interesting, moving, tense if sometimes uneven mix of very rough,
hand-held visual style, improvisational feeling acting, and occasionally
much more conventional plot turns. This study of two slightly gonzo,
gung-ho, but basically righteous Los Angeles cops is alternately deeply
engrossing and affecting, and occasionally frustrating.

When it all works, it feels about as real as any police drama I've ever
seen. (It's also too rare to see an heroic Hispanic lead character in a film
about a city where Latinos make up a huge part of the population)

When it gets in it's own way -- as when the camera-work becomes so
self-conscious that you start thinking about it (Why do so many
characters just happen to have cameras? Why are many of the shots from
angles that could never be from a home video camera, if this is
following a "found video" conceit?) or when the acting occasionally
stops feeling real and suddenly comes off as self- conscious improv. Or
when our heroes are in firefights that look real, but follow Hollywood
rules of logic as to how they turn out. At those points the film can be
maddening, just for undermining how good it is when it's on target.

Still, very worth seeing, and far more interesting than most of what
comes out of Hollywood.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tough, gritty and excellent-a hard buddy movie, 13 Aug 2014
This review is from: End of Watch [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
The first point here is that whoever gave this a 15 cert should have their blue pencil taken away and ritually broken. I have never seen anything more deserving of an 18 cert. Outside of a Tim Minchin lyric, I've never come across such a concentration of f words. It may be accurate in the gang culture depicted, I don't know, but this should be an 18.

OK, rant over.

I'm rarely happy with point of view camera movies, but this one generally works in that respect, and gives a bit of reasoning for the POV filming.

The story is tough, gritty, all that and more, and mostly pretty convincing. You could easily believe a bad LA precinct is like this. The bad guys' shooting is as bad as Star Wars Stormtroopers, and two scenes are almost risible because of that.

However, there are great scenes, the dancing-best dance scene I've seen outside of "Billy Elliot".

The performances, excellent; I now have to remember to think of Jake Gyllenhaal not one of the best young actors, but simply one of the best actors around. Michal Pena, excellent, and the supporting cast on the cops' side superb. Less convincing were the gang members, as I said earlier.

In some ways, it ran for me like a super hard-edged remake of "Fort Apache, the Bronx" - high praise as that's genuinely one of my favourite cop movies.

Oh, and some really good elements in the ending.

The amount of swearing- sorry to come back to it- may stop people watching it- I certainly had to watch it on my own. So, if you watch it on my say-so (I can't believe anyone would), don't blame me, I'd have liked less f words, too.

BUT: a damned good film, too flawed for five stars, but a very solid four.

When I remember to review "Donnie Darko", I think JG will have an average of 4 2/3 stars for movies I'll have reviewed him in. He is brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 7 April 2014
Outstanding and an epic film. Well acted, excellent. Just illustrates the the thin blue line between the scum and sub-culture we never really see with our comfy protected nights with Xfactor and pizza. We are totally oblivious if the balance is tipped in the wrong direction the potential for total anarchy.

5.0 out of 5 stars LAPD, 11 Feb 2014
This review is from: End of Watch [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
Watched this for the first time last night - best cop film I've ever seen and beats Training Day by miles. Makes you see and feel what officers of the LAPD go through. Really comes close to home and brings you into the film. Loved it, cried at the end felt like I'd lost a team mate. Such a well made and put together film!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Film I've seen in a while., 15 Jan 2014
This review is from: End Of Watch [Blu-ray] [2012] (Blu-ray)
I got this on a whim and found it tremendous. Definately the best film I've seen in a very long time. Interesting from start to finish and not predictable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fave, 24 Dec 2013
This review is from: End of Watch [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
One of my favourite films of all time, fast moving yet intelligent and with some of the best real life acting you'll come across in this genre.

The closing scene - almost like an extra after-thought - shows that up to perfection, but we are still reeling so much from the climax that it's a palliative stroke that only serves to heighten the - well I won't tell you!

If you haven't seen this, buy it now, you wont regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film, Not just a great police film, 12 Dec 2013
This review is from: End Of Watch [Blu-ray] [2012] (Blu-ray)
This was pretty much my favorite film of 2012. The opening monolouge is amazing and the characters great with great interplay between them. I'm not so keen on the handheld camera / found footage type idea but if your going to do it this is the way.

End Of Watch [Blu-ray] [2012]
End Of Watch [Blu-ray] [2012] by David Ayer (Blu-ray - 2013)
7.70