5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, simple and raised hairs on back of neck
Published on 11 Nov. 2012 by Locarn

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing.
I have very much enjoyed Willy Mason's first two albums 'Where The Humans Eat' and 'If The Ocean Gets rough' so was eager to hear his third. Whereas his first two albums are folk country songs with amazingly articulated lyrics and sound guitars, this third one is incomparable. 'Restless Fugitive' was the only track I really enjoyed on this album, the only one I found that...
Published on 21 Mar. 2013 by Carol Reid

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, simple and raised hairs on back of neck, 11 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Carry On (MP3 Download)
"Beside my bed there is a lamp and in the lamp there is a lonely moth". I stumbled across this on Amazon's free offers and I am now looking at other Willy Masons albums. I don't usually write reviews so please forgive me if I don't get technical about anything. I loved the simplicity, the way the story is told, the poetry of description and the guitar on its own. I have played it three times in a row (never done that before!)and it will become one of my favourites, along with Joan Baez,Martha Wainwright etc.,

4.0 out of 5 stars Great third album., 5 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Carry On (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of Willy Mason since his first album 'Where The Humans Eat', His follow up was even better with a blend of different genres and the brilliantly haunting songs 'Simple Town' and 'When the leaves are fallen'. His third release again tries to blend different musical styles but at it's heart is very much Willy Mason. Pickup Truck, Restless Fugitive and I Got Gold the stand outs for me. Can not wait for album 4.

4.0 out of 5 stars NEW DIMENSION, 20 July 2014
This review is from: Carry On (Audio CD)
Willy Mason is a New York born, Contemporary Folk singer/songwriter, who with his third full length release "Carry On" brings a Folk album with new dynamics.
Still maintaining the essential folksy guitar style with Mason's golden baritone, but with the addition of drum boxes and sonically enhanced melodies, it has added a welcome additional dimension to the genre.

4.0 out of 5 stars NIce stuff as always, 11 July 2013
This review is from: Carry On (MP3 Download)
Another good album from Willy Mason. Throughout, the highlight is his voice. His lyrics are good (not great) and his Songwriting itself is pretty decent too.

The thing that strikes me most about this album is the very present psych feel that looms over alot of the tracks, it really has me thinking of David Crobsy's If I Could Only... And that is most definitely a good thing.

Overall a nice listen. Definitely worth a couple of spins. His best but not necessarily THE best, but you might really dig so check it out.

PS, a band you might also like: Takeda (esp. their first album 'Hufsa') they're a little British band that nail that nice chilled acoustic/drony sound. Check 'em out.

4.0 out of 5 stars A long wait., 24 Jun. 2013
Philip Critchley "Tocky, York" (York, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carry On (Audio CD)
Willy Mason's long overdue release isn't a disappointment and certainly grows on the listener. All the better for regular playing at the right time.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute gem of an Album that actually sounds like an individually tallented and expressive Singer Songwriter., 11 Mar. 2013
A. R. McTaggart "Andy McTaggart" (Littlehampton,Sussex,UK) - See all my reviews
Marmite or Magic?
Defo Magic and music to these ears amidst a sea of bland samey singer songwriters and over hyped bawling ballardiers.
Moody, Broody and magically minimalist in terms of arrangements and orchestration.
Everything in the right place. Ben Howard = zzzzz

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Brilliant Album From The Very Talented Willy Mason, 1 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Carry On (Audio CD)
Not too good at reviews but thought it worth the effort to give praise where it's due. Not much to say other than this is slightly different from his other two albums but just as excellent. Highly recommended along with his first two albums, Where The Humans Eat and If The Ocean Gets Rough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 1 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Carry On (Audio CD)
This third instalment from Willy Mason is mesmerisingly brilliant. It's different to his previous albums, adding an even moodier edge but the combination of sounds and his unique vocals make this album a must have. It's amazingly cultured and real music.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is good ; but quite different from his previous cd's., 28 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Carry On (Audio CD)
I really like this cd. It has taken me about five or six listens to get used to the use of the drum machine. However having overcome that hurdle ; you get used to it. Then you can really concentrate on the songs which are superb !

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 15 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Carry On (Audio CD)
Bought this having read one review. My wife and i listened to the album all night and have booked tickets to see him next year.

Carry On