4.0 out of 5 stars Very good read
I tend to buy books by authors I know and trust to deliver a good read. I knew absolutely nothing about this author, but the book was free, the genre one I enjoy so what did I have to lose?
Published on 10 Sept. 2012 by Mrs Jacqueline M Dubery

3.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunate opening chapter
I see that all the one star reviews are complaining about the opening chapter. I must admit that I initially decided not to get this book after reading the opening in the "Look Inside" feature.

Published on 1 Aug. 2012 by EGR

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good read, 10 Sept. 2012
Mrs Jacqueline M Dubery "Jay" (Leicester, Leics United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I'm very glad I did. The style owes much to Stuart Macbride whose quirky humour is always fun to read. It was always going to be difficult to write a detective novel on Rebus patch, but James Oswald has managed to bring a different view of Edinburgh to the reader through his Inspector Mclean creation. The main character is beautifully crafted. In fact characterisation throughout is excellent, and the many stranded plot is skillfully weaved together to a climax that delivers the goods. I did not find the opening gory, a little graphic perhaps but it did the job of pulling the reader in, and tied in perfectly with the plot climax.
Overall the book was thoroughly enjoyable, and of a standard that sent me looking for more from this author. I was therefore very surprised to discover that James Oswald was unpublished. I'm glad he had the faith in his writing to publish himself, and did not lose heart. I enjoyed this enough to look for other novels by this author, and be prepared to pay for them. This was a very good read. I look forward to the next Inspector Mclean story.

4.0 out of 5 stars A well written crime thriller, 6 Oct. 2012
This book was recommended to me and as it was free I downloaded it. The opening is shocking. There's no getting away from that. Was it a ploy to draw the reader in? I don't know. What I do know is this is a well written crime novel and no more gory than other crime novels I've read.

I like James Oswalds style, it's fast paced and easy to read which keeps the plot moving along nicely. I never felt bogged down with unnecessary padding.

Inspector Mclean is an interesting and complex character and his collegues are well rounded and believable.

I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series and hope that Mr Oswald will give Inspector Mclean many more cases to solve.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunate opening chapter, 1 Aug. 2012
EGR "EGR" (Kefalonia, Greece) - See all my reviews

Still, as it was free, and had a number of positive reviews, I decided to take a chance. In fact the opening chapter feels completely out of step with the rest of the book, which is a fairly decent detective novel. Some reviewers have complained of supernatural elements in the story, but they are written subtly enough that you can choose to treat them as real or imaginary, as suits. (John Locke does a similar thing in some of his excellent Donovan Creed and Emmett Love stories - although that's not to imply that James Oswald is in a class with John Locke!).

So, a decent read, which would have been better with a less graphic opening. Good enough that I'm going to take a chance and pay for the second book in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and well written, 15 Mar. 2012
Natural causes starts off with a shocking scene which grabs your attention. The story then develops into a most enjoyable crime novel, with a hint of horror/fantasy. The characters are interesting and the main character likeable. The story is set in Edinburgh with lots of wee references to the city. I for one am very much looking forward to the next in this series. I would certainly recommend this book - I was gripped from the beginning and couldn't put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars compelling read, 23 Sept. 2012
Thoroughly enjoyed this book (despite the graphic start) - innovative mix of detective story with just a subtle hint of the supernatural. Normally refuse to pay more than 20p for a kindle book (mean, me?? :-)) but actually spent proper money to buy the 2nd in the McLean series after reading this one. Can't wait for number 3.

5.0 out of 5 stars I want more!!!, 18 May 2012
K. Langley "Bookwormkathy" (Suffolk, UK) - See all my reviews
I want more! The charaters are very believeable and the writing had me hooked from page 1. A very gory start to the story but it takes off very quickly with plenty of twists and turns. Set in Edinburgh, which is a city i have yet to visit, James Oswald describes the city in a way that i could almost say i knew where he was. I hope that this is the start of a long series of books. More please Mr Oswald!

5.0 out of 5 stars gruesome but compulsive reading, 8 April 2012
I was concerned at the first chapter that I would not be able to stay the course, it was somewhat disturbing to say the least. I am happy to have stuck with it and really enjoyed the development of the characters and the turns in the story. The body count is very high, the descriptions graphic but it kept me fully engrossed - a real page clicker!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really gripping, 21 Sept. 2012
Me (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
Unlike other reviewers I can't say I found the opening chapter excessive - it was gory, slightly disturbing but written in a stark way that simply told the story of a horrible murder that underpins the rest of the book.

What followed after was one of the most enjoyable detective stories I've read in quite a while. I liked the characters and the plot developed seamlessly. As a free download you really can't go wrong with this and I'm delighted to have been introduced to an author new to me.

I'm on Amazon right now for the purpose of buying the next in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a compelling story., 10 Jun. 2012
Bookie (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This book was free. Incredible! I'd have paid for it and been more than happy. Comparisons with Rebus are inevitable. I'm a big Rankin fan and it can be difficult reading similar tales by a different author. But this stands the test. The narrative flows off the page. The settings are real, the people are credible and Inspector McLean doesn't have so much baggage that he's weighed down by his angst. But he has enough history to make him a compelling character. I wanted to know more about him and James Oswald doesn't do an immediate 'reveal' it's like an onion, it comes in layers. The plot is excellent. It's a complex and compelling mix of the ordinary with a twist of the supernatural. But it's all totally plausible, with richly detailed locations and some detailed descriptions of the crime scenes. There are numerous disparate strands to the plot as it snakes its way forward. Each could be a stand alone tale but it's all brought together. I really liked the way the ever so genteel Morningside set are portrayed; all their airs and graces hiding a dark underbelly. Without doubt, one of my best reads this year. Thanks Mr Oswald; a real belter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good if slightly different from what I expected., 15 Mar. 2012
Yes it is a crime novel and to a large extent it follows the formula ,and cleverness, of a Rebus novels but it certainly is darker and the opening chapter is clearly designed to shock. It has the dry wit and nice observations of a lot of other Scottish based authors kicking around currently, the book is very pleasing to read and is definitely a page turner. The unexpected aspect brings the novel into something you would expect from Neil Gaiman, and it works. In fact, it would be nice to have seen this aspect brought further into the book. It is clearly a "first in a series" novel and consequently time is taken introducing the characters with many aspects of the main characters previous life mentioned and then not taken anywhere. I'll be interested to see where the second novel goes and I personally will look forward to it.