5.0 out of 5 stars Art Isn't A Result. It's A Journey.
I was part of Seth's Kickstarter so I bought this early, and reading is has totally fired me up to commit to creating and sharing my own art.

There were many parts of the book that resonated with me, but in combination with Steven Pressfield's Turning Pro, the message is really to pick yourself, and persist at the practice of creation.
"Creating art is a...
Published 20 months ago by J.F.Penn

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, not great
I dont want to bag this book, not that the author would take note ;-), but it feels like a prolonged blog post that was dragged out to justify it being a book.

It is an easy read and the author does write well. The general stance is that we should move away from the industrialist view of working for the man and start to contribute art. Any art. And for the sake...
Published 7 months ago by L Campbell

5.0 out of 5 stars Art Isn't A Result. It's A Journey., 31 Dec 2012

"Creating art is a habit, one that we practice daily or hourly until we get good at it ... Art isn't about the rush of victory that comes from being picked. Nor does it involve compliance. Art in the post-industrial age is a lifelong habit, a stepwise process that incrementally allows us to create more art."

This book is useful for writers, but I would also urge parents to read it in order to understand the world your children are growing up in.The industrial world is disappearing. The old world of standardized exams, tick-box education and guaranteed jobs won't be there for much longer, and people need to be creative to survive the future. But more than that, life's too short to spend it doing something that isn't rewarding. So aim to thrive and not just survive.

I spent 13 years as an IT consultant, a miserable cubicle worker, rewarding myself with sugar and alcohol in order to make it through each day. In September 2011, I finally broke out of that old life, and I couldn't be happier. Sure, I have less money now, fewer trappings of (so-called) worldly success, but I am making my art, and this feels like real life.

I know some of you are struggling around the same issues, so as you move into 2013, I would recommend reading "The Icarus Deception" for some inspiration.

5.0 out of 5 stars ...the Art of the journey, 25 Jan 2013
Simon Osborne (Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I `got' this book after only about 30 pages which came as a bit of a surprise. Some books ask you to accept the fear, overcome the worries and doubts, or cognitively change your behaviours. I interpret Godin as suggesting that we embrace these challenges, defined as your Lizard Brain, and make them integral to the Art of our journey.

Many books strive to explain authenticity and fall short. This book does not, I think, mention authenticity once, yet suggests to you a living plan of how to find it, nurture it, live it and love it.

Godin expresses Art not along traditional interpretations such as painting, sculpture, writing, acting, but as your everyday activity perhaps through delivering a service, an idea, an interaction, a meeting. And this for me was a breath of fresh air.

This has been my first Godin book - I doubt if it will be my last.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pick yourself to be a winner. Like the idea, read this book!, 9 Jan 2013
Who do you want your customers to become? This is an important question, according to Seth Godin, the world's leading blogger on sales and marketing. This question is just one part of his latest book, The Icarus Deception, which tells us not to be afraid to fly too high.
Godin is left field of most business book writers that you will come across. He writes like Dr Seuss with more words but the same tipping from the insane to cold common sense truth. Perhaps he knows this is his style. In his introduction he has one sub head referring to "green eggs and ham".
Godin tells us that to be successful today, we have to be artists. Are local retailers artists? I think so. He does too.
On page 97 he shows a picture of a blackboard outside Joe Dough's store. It says: "Come in and try the worst meatball sandwich that one guy on Yelp ever had in his life."
Good retailers around the UK already engage with their shoppers like this. It is the art that gives them an edge against the multiples.
This book is not for everyone. 2013 is going to be a very tough year. Some people may be in survival mode and not into personal growth. They will not want to read this book. This book works like a scrapbook of ideas that you can dip in and pull some inspiration out of. They will find Godin's exaggerations and enthusiasms off-putting. They will find it too much like hard work.
But it is worth the hard work. I recommend you invest in a copy of The Icarus Deception because it is full of ideas that will inspire you. Godin gives you permission to be who you are.
He tells you to notice the word around you. In 1993 he looked at the web and wrote a book that told people what they could find there. He made $80,000. Using the same investment of time and effort that Seth had made, the guys who started Yahoo! made $80 billion. "A million times more than I did with the same information," Godin writes.
Then, he missed the big picture. But today he will help you see it. He writes about Joey Roth who makes a glass teapot. Most people don't care about glass teapots. But enough do to make it a viable business for Joey.
This happens in local shops too. Last week, I was in Ewelme, an ancient village in Oxfordshire, and its village store is amazing. Outside is a great billboard offering hot chocolate. I was tempted. Similar villages nearby don't do it anything like as well!
Godin says six things matter today: trust, permission, remarkability, leadership, stories that spread and humanity. We get better at what we practice, he writes.
Mass marketing (Wal-mart) is efficient but the internet has changed the game. He asks: What do you want your customers to become? "Amazon turned its customers into people who are restless with online stores that don't work quite as well or quite as quickly."
Think about it. What you want is shoppers who are raving fans of local shops. Your local shops. Godin's book will help you find them.
ends

5.0 out of 5 stars New Connections Create New Connections, 1 Jan 2013
Rene Knecht "Salesman" (Belgium) - See all my reviews
This book is a real support for the artist, described by Seth Godin as the person - entrepreneur who makes a difference in society by creating change which connects people. The Connection economy as opposed to the Industrialist economy.

To be that kind of person/artist/linchpin, you have to abandon the status quo or comfort zone mindset. The value of art resides in the willingness to take risks and to become vulnerable (like the first time you speak in public), not by taking calculated risks nor by excel sheets with projected earnings.

The traditional industrialist economy is led by the million years' old lizard brain that always looks for safety and survival of the status quo.
Being an artist means living from the soul in a state of an abundance mindset, and embracing the lizard brain: it is because you can and will fail that new ideas can be born.
Some ideas will die, and therefore new ideas can be born. It is part of life.
New ideas create new ideas in turn: it is a process resulting from interactions and connections. Like a teacher improves his understanding by teaching and finally becomes a better teacher, i.e. by acting.
New connections create new connections
Who will your customers become after they have interacted with you?
Don't expect applause or approval from the critics: when your work depends on something out of your control you lose your soul, your artwork.
If you feel resistance, it's a good sign: it means that something new can be created, and is therefore not to be avoided.

Great book written from the SOUL
Every page contains something valuable that you can highlight with a marker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Change your life!, 8 July 2014
This book is the dogs bollocks! If you want to fly, change your life, dance on the moon or run with wolfs...this book will instill with in the passion to snap away from the numbness that has become life. It will fire up your thoughts and set your soul burning and give you that word, that push, to do what it is you always dreamed of!

5.0 out of 5 stars Flying high with iccarus., 5 May 2014
This review is from: The Icarus Deception: How High Will You Fly? (Kindle Edition)
A revelatory book that is very inspiring for those who are either stuck in the cogs of industry needing to break away or are lacking in self belief but know that a part of them has a chance to express themselves and their art. This is a must read for everyone. It certainly belongs in schools as a staple read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally agree, 4 May 2014
Seth. Well done again. Your honest analysis inspires people. You put the WOW into business, and prove that quality, innovation, and uniqueness are needed today more than ever.

Darren Kelly
Author
HELLO PROFIT - Outsell & Outnegotiate everyone with WOW

5.0 out of 5 stars Whatever you do, read this book!, 22 April 2014
An ex-colleague and now collaborator of mine recommended this book to me when both he and I left the University of Law. For the last 6 months and, I expect, for the rest of my life, it has and will proved to be an inspiration. In the post-Industrial Age in which we live, this book is revealing to those who don't recognise the change, encouraging to those who do and, more to the point, a starting point to our children.

Next on the list will be Seth Godin's 'Tribes' about which I have heard great reports.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes you think, 26 Jan 2014
Liked this book a lot as it gets you thinking and helps you dream! Seth Godin is someone who I find motivational and for this reason I recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought Provoking!, 21 Sep 2013
A great book that gets you to think over if you have ever been too scared to fly high! Well done Mr Godin!