5.0 out of 5 stars This book stilled the collywobbles., 22 Jan 2010
J. E. Garrett "bookwormess" (Hereford U.K.) - See all my reviews
I had just taken my son out of school out of desperation and to keep him safe (extreme bullying and severe injuries) and was terrified of the thought of going it alone. This book calmed me down and helped me to realise that children (and adults) are learning sponges when not stifled by a rigid educational system.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only buy one Holt, buy this!, 3 Aug 2010
R. Graceson (Leicestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
Holt is obviously known all over the home education/homeschooling world but should be required reading for all parents, in my opinion.

I didn't personally get on with How Children Learn or How Children Fail and was disappointed after getting rave reviews on both. I took a chance and got this and it is fantastic. Highly readable, it all makes sense - a great one to hand out to friends and relatives if they are giving you any grief!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, 6 Aug 2010
I got this book alongside Terri Dowty's excellent "Free Range Education". Although this book is targeted at the American market, a lot of the information provided here is relevant to the situation in England. I particularly like the "FAQ" section in it in which the authors tackle very amply the sort of questions and doubts frequently expressed by those who don't support homeschooling and those who aren't sure of the homeschooling approach. After reading this book, I am more certain than ever that taking my child out of school (and a state school at that) is probably one of the very best things I've done for her. Read this book and make up your own mind, but don't say you've not been warned... it could change your mind!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really inspiring book, 27 Feb 2013
I think that everyone should read this book, it has many insipiring and practical remarks, even for those who keep children in public schools. It is worth imaging and making a decision how our next generation is being "educated" and how we want it to see the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars a must have book, 26 Nov 2014
absolutely excellent.reassuring creating confidence answering questions.this book has everything we wanted to know regarding our choice for our children

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 18 Aug 2014
Lovely book for those considering home educating or have chosen to electively home ed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, 14 Jan 2013
I am very interested in taking my 10 year old son out of the public schooling system so this book is proving to be very helpful. However please note that this book is very american based.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 16 Oct 2009
Mr. S. Parades (UK) - See all my reviews
My first book about home education.
Made me sure that my doughter is not gonna to go to public school :).