5.0 out of 5 stars Tightly written, enjoyable read.
I'm not a fan of detective fiction but I am a fan of horse-racing. The book is set in the USA and drops straight into the action by killing off characters within the first few pages.
The 'whydunnit' moves along at a rapid rate of knots, and has a sympathetically written well-rounded central character in Holly.

Everything is rosy in her personal life, after...
Published 18 months ago by A. I. McCulloch

3.0 out of 5 stars Surprised
This book had such good reviews I couldn't wait to buy it but it was nowhere near as good as I expected. It was engaging in parts but, for me, there were two issues that let it down.

Published 19 months ago by p r neil

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Surprised, 27 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Blood and Roses (Holly Jennings Thriller) (Kindle Edition)

1. Part of the narrative is from the point of view of the killer - I am never keen on crime books that use this although if the pace and characters are interesting enough I can enjoy them (I like Val McDermid for example)

2. The Plot - it is what I would call a conspiracy plot - not Dan Brown type- but with a lot of political themes and higly improbable coincidences or scenarios. Some coincidences or implausability can be necessary in a good crime book but in this one it was just all too much for me - I found myself actually gnashing my teeth at one stage.

If you enjoy the creepiness and lack of suspense of looking at thing from the point of view of the killer and like a plot with lots of extra influences and coincidences then I could see that you may find this book a great read. If your tastes are for more standard crime stories such as Michael Connnolly or even Harlan Coben than I would give this one a miss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tightly written, enjoyable read., 21 Nov. 2013
A. I. McCulloch "Andrea" (Co Durham) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Everything is rosy in her personal life, after a period of trauma. The twist of fate that threatens to derail her happiness is extremely improbable, but rather than skimping on details and asking us to accept it, it's also explained in such a way that you admire the author's ingenuity.
What raises the book above many is the level of research or knowledge that went into the background of horse racing and horses in general. Scenes in stables are carefully written, horses react in the way that horses do when situations occur. It makes the whole tale flow realistically; there is particularly good use of dialogue.

The climax is satisfyingly dramatic and a page turner. One story that kept me reading. Recommended

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 30 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Blood and Roses (Holly Jennings Thriller) (Kindle Edition)
After reading the rave reviews about this book I eagerly gave it a try. I found the storyline erratic and unfortunately I could not finish it as I lost interest about chapter 17.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow. What a Book, 25 Jun. 2013
Wendy Jones "wjones7423" (Dundee, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have read a lot of murder mystery books and this one is up there with the best. It takes place in the world of horse racing where people connected with this world are dying in horrible ways. CSI Agent Holly Jennings is brought in to investigate and has one heck of a case on her hands. A.K. Alexander is an excellent writer and her descriptions of horses and racing are so vivid I could picture myself there. She obviously knows horses well and this came out in her writing. The characters are very well described and I found myself either hating them or loving them in turn. Holly Jennings as a character is real. Both She and her life are brought to life in the pages of this book. The plot is well written and the action holds up throughout the book. There are many surprises which keep you guessing until the end. The ending had me holding my breath. I would highly recommend this book for any lover of mysteries.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, didnt want it to end., 16 Aug. 2013
Beanie Luck (Cotswolds) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I think this is one of the best books i have read in quite a while. fast paced, page turner.

CSI Holly Jennings is leading the hunt for a killer that takes you into the horse racing world and all its connections.

Someone is killing horses, and knows their trade, jockeys and trainers are also in the line of fire. Lots of twists to the plot which unfolds perfectly, involving her working and personal life.

She works as part of a team that unravels more than they could possibly imagine, greed, death , ambition, and the dark side of the racing world, finally heading for destruction.

Life takes an unexpected turn which throws her into chaos. The climax builds intensely to the one final race, who will win and who will survive!

I couldn`t turn the pages quick enough and this author is definitely on my watch list.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 20 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Blood and Roses (Holly Jennings Thriller) (Kindle Edition)
The book was slow due to not being a horsey person. The storyline was interesting and had many twists and turns. The ending could have been expanded on, giving more detail to the characters and how they continued.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read but ..., 1 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Blood and Roses (Holly Jennings Thriller) (Kindle Edition)
I did enjoy this book but I did struggle a little with the sheer number of characters and the way they switched between using their first names and surnames, not to mention the new identities/names of several of the characters with big secrets to hide.

It was a good insight into the world of horse racing and welfare issues, obviously a cause very close to the author's heart.

I did not expect the ending. I think it would make a good film if anyone out there is looking. It has all the right ingredients, glamour, money, strong characters and action.

3.0 out of 5 stars easy reading, 18 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Blood and Roses (Holly Jennings Thriller) (Kindle Edition)
Was OK, but not much plot , very easy reading and not too taxing on the brain. Shallow character and a bit obvious

5.0 out of 5 stars A really enjoyable read and one I recommend, 19 Sept. 2013
Rob S "Rob S" (Conwy, North Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Took me a while to get going with this book, I was a little lost in the beginning which is probably down to my zero knowledge of horses and racing
Thought the start was a bit American but once I was in to the third chapter I was hooked, AK Alexander knows how to deliver a thriller with loads of tension and great characters.

The more you read the more you want, I didn't want the book to end and at the same time couldn't wait to find out how it all ended.

A really enjoyable read and one I recommend

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure, 16 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Blood and Roses (Holly Jennings Thriller) (Kindle Edition)
First time with this author, well written and crafted but did not really grab me and draw me into the story

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›