Published 16 months ago by Charlie Dungate

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading
Published 20 months ago by Piripiri82

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Debut Album! Great Songs!,Why Did It Get Bad Reviews?, 5 April 2013
This review is from: The Female Boss (Audio CD)
Tulisas debut album the female boss is to me just brilliant. I dont know why it received all the bad reviews and negativity. The songs on there are just so good. Young,Visa,Kill Me Tonight,Live Your Life,Im Ready,British Swag were my fav songs off the album since im a huge fan of dance music. The album was something different for a change. A mix of diffrent genres for all your moods. At the end of the day its not about what the reviewers think its about what her fans think and they loved it. Rumour is she has a second album on the way so EXCITED

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Album, 18 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Female Boss (Audio CD)
Good album personally think negative press and reviews before release killed album sales. There are a lot of great tunes on here my favorites are live your life damn and I love habit which I do believe tulisa wrote herself. Wish people would have given her album a chance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic., 13 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Female Boss (Audio CD)
Great album. Great new songs and some old ones. Just fantastic. A must for any Tulisa fan. Def reccomend this. Brilliant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Underrated!!, 2 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Female Boss (Audio CD)
People just assume Tulisa can't sing or has no talent whatsoever just because she has had a sex tape released and she's come from Camden Town. So for all of the people who agree with the comment what I just wrote, this album will prove you wrong.

Intro - I was excited to see what the Intro would be like and I wondered if she would carry on from what N-Dubz done for their Intro's - a short, snappy, upbeat musical interlude. But Tulisa didn't do is with her solo album, and personally this isn't the best start to the album. It is Tulisa talking over the top of a piano solo of a slowed down version of Young 2/5

Young - Although is wasn't written by Tulisa, I would certainly say she executed this song very well. When I heard this as a single I thought it was a very good choice for a debut single; it's catchy and certainly a song for the club scene. 5/5

Live It Up - This was the albums second single and certainly had more of an urban feel to it, and my first thoughts of this song were 'complete and utter rubbish' and it certainly doesn't show off Tulisa's lyrical talent but it will grow on you. 4/5

Damn - Is now about love and heartwrench and has moved away from having fun cos you're 'young'. It's has more of a slow paced feel to it and is relatively catchy and easy listening but there is certainly better tracks on the album. 4/5

British Swag - This track is the most urban/hip-hop track on the album and sounds like N-Dubz's old music. I would say you either love it or hate it, because some people would certainly say that 'I got that British British Swag' is cheesey but it's personal opinion at the endof the day. 3/5

Live Your Life - This song is now moving back back to party and club music, but I would certainly say it's catchy and is pretty similar to Young, if you like Young you're guaranteed to like LiVe Your Life. 5/5

Visa - This song is amazing, and I thought it should have been released as a fourth single because it had so much potential and I thought it would have charted highly. Tulisa's vocals and Wiley's rapping makes a wonderful mix of pop and rap fused together to make this track. 5/5

Foreigner - Is about guys again and is along the same lines of Live It Up, as it is urban. The lyrics shows how talented Tulisa as a songwriter is. But a the same time it doesn't really stand it front he other songs on the album. 3/5

Skeletons - The title of this song sound mournful is a relatively good track. Definitely grows on you but you aphave to listen to it a couple of times first. 3/5

I'm Ready - Is a feel-good party song and you can easily dance to it, and is definitely the same genre as Young and Live Your Life, which is Dance and Pop brought together to make another wonderful track. 5/5

Steal My Breath Away - This has more of an R&B feel to this song. It's not the best on this album but you can easily listen to it and have a jig and it can put you in a good mood. 4/5

Kill Me Tonight - This is a dance and a pop track and is about partying and living life to the full as a few other tracks on be album. In this song Tulisa also says the N-Dubz trademark "ha ha" which could also symbolise that this could have originally been a N-Dubz song. 5/5

Counterfeit - As the album draws to a close this song is more of a ballad, in the chorus it is quite repetitive as it keeps repeating the word 'counterfeit' and doesn't really show off Tulisa's lyrical talent either. The bridge is exactly the same as the chorus and doesn't stand out to me. 4/5

Habit - The hooks definitely catch the ear of the listener because it starts to speed up and become more of a powerful R&B track, certainly one of my favourites. 5/5

Sight Of You - Is a love ballad with punch and I think it is a brilliant song to end the album on. 5/5

I thought the blend of all different genres of music put onto one album worked in Tulisa's favour. I don't think Tulisa deserved to have such poor sales for this album because I think it is really underrated and a wider audience should give it a try and buy it. Because you're guaranteed to pretty much like at least half of the album, so give it a go!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than you'd expect, 23 Mar 2013
S. Mcintosh (London) - See all my reviews
I practically never write reviews on Amazon, but having owned this album for a few months now I felt quite strongly that it really didn't deserve the absolute mauling it got in the British press when it was released.

The Female Boss is actually, in my opinion, a terrific record with emotionally intelligent lyrics and a good variety of songs and genres.

The first piece of advice I would give anyone listening to this album for the first time is to completely disregard the Intro and Outro. Both tracks are a complete waste of space, and their presence brings down the quality of the songs on the rest of the album. Tulisa goes for the spoken-word approach and talks as if she's saying something deeply profound when in fact it basically sounds embarrassingly cringe-worthy and worthy and pretentious.

Fortunately, practically every track in between the album's opening and closing songs is excellent.

So, let's deal with the singles first. You'll be familiar with Young - an great pop song that rightly went straight to the top of the UK singles chart. (If this album had been released straight off the back of that song it probably would have sold considerably more copies). The lyrics of that song beautifully sum up the attitudes you have when you're young - when you're at a point in your life where you're learning about the world and are free to make mistakes. The second single - Live It Up - was a nice party tune that borrowed much of its hook from Kat DeLuna's brilliant Run The Show. Sight Of You - brilliant as I think it is - probably wasn't a good choice for third single but a good song nonetheless.

Tulisa said in an interview when the album came out that these three singles were supposed to reflect the different styles that can be found on the album - pop, dance and urban. I think this is a very good point; the choice of these three singles does indeed reflect the album's varied and eclectic sound. It is both a fun party album and a heart-wrenching breakup record.

But it wasn't any of the three singles that encouraged me to buy The Female Boss. One afternoon I was listening through to a few tracks from it on YouTube, none of which were particularly jumping out at me until I stumbled across the utterly superb Foreigner. Its pulsing bouncy reggae rhythm hooked me instantly and I downloaded that song on its own to begin with.

After weeks of listening to it non-stop, I actually looked up who had written and produced and found that it was the work of "T. Nash" - a.k.a. legendary R&B producer The Dream (also responsible for Rihanna's Umbrella). I wondered if this high standard of songwriting extended to the rest of the album, and when I went to look at the writing credits I found a hugely impressive list of names including Diane Warren, Jean Baptiste, Rico Love and Eg White.

With such an impressive cast list I decided to take a chance and give the rest of the album a shot. I was quickly drawn to the album's more uptempo party songs start with, such as Live Your Life and the excellent Kill Me Tonight. These are equally as good if not better than most standard dancey songs that get into the singles chart and they sit well with the current David Guetta-influenced sound that is popular at the moment. In fact, both of these probably would have made very good early singles. But the album's strongest moments are to be found in the ballads.

Anyone who has ever broken up from a serious relationship will identify with the sentiments of Damn, Counterfit and Habit in particular. Lines such as: "You can close the door and take everything we had / but just don't take my sanity with you" (from Habit) will resonate with anyone who has hit rock bottom after a relationship and wondered if things will ever get better. Some of the simplest lyrics are the most effective (such as "You f***ed me up when you f***ed around" from Damn or "I can't believe we're through / I used to love the sight of you / now I can't stand the sight of you").

Songs and lyrics like these show a level of vulnerability that many listeners will empathise with. We've all lived through these feelings and situations that Tulisa is singing about, and many of these song lyrics clearly come from experience. There is a surprising level of emotional depth and they reach far beyond most generic lyrics that can be found in most love songs in the charts.

Other highlights include the gorgeous Skeletons (another production from The Dream) and the nice mid-tempo I'm Ready. But there is honestly not a single weak track on this album. There is something on it that will match whatever mood you are in.

Vocally, Tulisa sometimes strays out of her comfort zone, but mostly her voice remains strong.

As I mentioned earlier, the album is severely let down by its opening and closing tracks, but also by the horrendous cover which depicts Tulisa as a chav-with-attitude character, dressed up in a leather jacket and 'bling' with jet black hair that I personally don't really think suits her. The album cover should have been more like the cover of her autobiography Honest, where she looks more human and vulnerable, as opposed to the threatening and intimidating look they've gone for on the album cover.

I think it's a real shame that this album has been so ignored by the masses. Arguably, the release of it was messed up by the choice and order of singles, the fact the album took so long to arrive, and a lackluster performance of Sight Of You on X Factor - but I think most people didn't even give it a chance because of her reputation. She's seen by the general public as that girl from a chav-urban band who got lucky by appearing as a judge on a reality TV show. Her credibility as a solo artist in the music industry is seriously low, and as a result well-respected music critics couldn't be seen to be giving this record a good review. I suspect many of them didn't properly listen to it. News articles in the week of its release focused on how badly it was tanking in the midweeks, and no-one seemed to actually be talking about the content of the album.

But in actual fact, this is a superb album. Give it a chance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tulisa is excellent!, 1 Aug 2013
Kirsty (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Female Boss (Audio CD)
Tulisa does amazing songs , she has been through so much and she has a fantastic voice. Absolutely love her and her songs. She is a great inspiration to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Female Goddess., 27 Dec 2013
Macias (Lodz, Poland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Female Boss (Audio CD)
I'm not from England so I don't really understand what happened in UK that made everyone dislike Tulisa, but for me what matters is that she seems like a very nice, tought, funny woman. And she is also very talented! Pure, deep alto. Many criticised The Female Boss, especially after it underperformed but the entire album is just incredible. I've been listening to it many times when I was happy and also when the times were hard and it always made me feel better and recover. Great Pop and urban productions, fantastic instrumentals and vocals. Hope she'll drop and excellent sophomore album one day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superlative, 20 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Female Boss (Audio CD)
Amazingly awesome album by said Tulisa. Going by all the negative reviews I read I would have thought it was a pile of junk like Lana Del Rey`s said album. It`s the complete opposite! Really, really good and every track is fantastic. I just love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it!, 7 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Female Boss (Audio CD)
I am so sick and tired of reading all the negative press about this album. I received it yesterday from Amazon and I love it! There is only 1 song on the album I would skip but the rest are great - some NDubz type tracks, good dance tracks and some beautiful ballards (love 'breath away'). And before you type cast me, I am a 38 year old professional business woman with a varied taste in music. I have always liked NDubz and have loved all of Tulisa's singles so bought the album on the strength of it and I am not disappointed. She can sing too unlike some previous X Factor judges who seem to sell lots of albums with no singing talent what so ever - you know who I mean!!

Buy it - you will not be disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading, 3 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Female Boss (Audio CD)
When I saw the title of this album I was very excited because I have always longed to hear a female version of Bruce Springsteen. However on first listen I can see that she sounds nothing like Bruce Springsteen. First of all, the real Boss can actually sing, even if you can't always understand all the words he is singing. Secondly, Mr. Springsteen's band do not sound like they are a pre-programmed Casio keyboard demo track. The E-street band will be mortified! This is more Coronation street than E-Street to be honest!! Tulisa should maybe go back to cutting hair or pulling pints. ;)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›