on 19 November 2011
This is a good book. It has helped me focus on what I really want from my career and my social life even if at times it reads like a Networking Paul Mckenna Hypnosis book/CD. (well, some of the sources for his theories are shared at least)
on 16 November 2013
This is an excellent and very useful book. I particularly liked all the links to additional materials on websites. Easy to read and full of really practical tips.
on 28 June 2015
This is a good book for people that are starting there networking journey, you need some patience when reading this book and just stick to reading it, other wise you will stop in the middle and loos out on the best bits that come after about half of the book.

If your are an experienced networker and do a few networking meetings a month, then this book is a 3 out 5 for you and you will benefit from it with some refreshment on things.
on 18 October 2011
I found Brilliant networking after having Steven D'Souza recommended as a speaker at a networking event I was hosting for my business. I felt compelled to read his book prior to meeting Steven and I was glad I did. The book was insightful from the first chapter and really grabs attention by outlining in a comical style some of the typical characters you meet at networking events. The book ignores the typical 'self help' genre of books by questioning the reader's intention with deeper analysis of networking goals in an interactive and realistic manner that is both easy to read but also thought provoking from many angles.

Steven spoke at my event on networking in business and his speech was flawless, grabbing the attention of a very tough crowd while providing thought provoking material in a highly interactive manner. I highly recommend this book and Steven as a public speaker. More importantly the advice I have taken from this book and from listening to Steven has been absolutely invaluable.
on 14 April 2015
The author fails to connect with the readers. Important concepts of networking are mentioned too concisely to help the readers understand them, unecessary details take a big part of the book, and the way it's written reminded me of a process-oriented manual. This book fails to address the networking theme and is not designed to motivate, not even beginners.
on 12 November 2014
The book is a very simple and this makes it brilliant. First, it is easy to understand. Second, it provides answers to the core questions "Why do I need a social network?" and "How can I build it?". And third, it offers a cute bonus: pragmatic tools to practice and enjoy the art of networking.
on 5 September 2011
I've just finished reading the 2nd edition of Brilliant Networking by Steven D'Souza and can say the book is well worth buying.

Far from patronising the author does not claim to be a networking guru and describes all readers as natural networkers from birth. From the beginning there are practical tips and I found the author's writing to have style and substance. Although not an academic book it is far from 'pop psychology'. Research in sports psychology shows visualisation is an important aspect in performance. There is an excellent chapter on social capital with research from leading academics on network structure, social network analysis etc. The book explains complicated concepts in a clear and useful way. As an IT Manager I also found the section on Mindjet a brilliant tool to use mind mapping to analyse my own network. There is a great new chapter on networking activities I plan to use these with my own team.

Far from being a yawn, I found this book well written, insightful, fun and very practical and I would welcome joining a dinner party with the author any day. A must read and a great help.
on 22 February 2015
I found this book extremely useful as it covers lots of angles and scenarios when networking in a room full of people.
The book can be applied to novice networkers but is equally as useful to people who have been networking consistently.

I highly recommend it.
As a small business owner, the prospect of networking fills me with dread. Even the word makes me cringe. I bought this book on the hope it would kick start my love affair with networking and it has. My fears were identified and swiftly dealt with and as I turned the easy to read pages, I realised my "fear" of networking was just a bag of excuses. My confidence has taken a boost and I cannot wait to put the methods to the test.

I'd recommend this book, to anyone wishing to take their business or personal life to the next level. Unleash your inner socialite, you never know, you might enjoy it!
on 3 July 2015
Extremely basic - OK for a high school leaver tip: "as you read this book, take a pen and write in the margins..." Can be read in 20 minutes.