Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£7.47

on 3 October 2010
What a useful and sensitive book. Challenging enough to keep you engaged but so well structured that its not overwhelming. Plenty of practical examples to help you identify with specific situations. This both helps embed the positive attitudes you need to develop for everyday interactions, as well as opportunities to practice 'a little at a time' to ensure success. What a difference it could make to your own self-esteem if you actually felt free to express what you often know to be an important view. Your ideas should be considered by others, both at home and at work, before decisions are made. This book explains how simply and 'painlessly' you can do it without antagonizing others.

I wish this book had been available sooner - as a retired headteacher, it would have been such a supportive text to encourage a staff team in developing their own individual skills and talents (and mine!). Too often the arrogant selfish few dominate professional discussion. Greater confidence in expressing clearly an alternative option has to be to everyone's mutual benefit. Too many bullies get away with dominance because others lack the courage to be assertive - and they are often wrong. Here are the tools to turn the tables and nurture an open, co-operative and constructive working environment where everyone will feel valued. I feel it would be an excellent text for use in staff training.
Definitely food for thought!
on 12 November 2010
This is a wonderful little handbook for staying centred and empowered in everyday life. It's voice is kindly, intelligent, wise and above all, reliable. Where there's a 'proviso' to a technique it's mentioned! It feels good as a book too; not too light or too heavy and the text is a good size so you can read it in a hurry; the chapter headings are clear, the quotes pithy and relevant. We need anything that can help us through the conflicts in our lives, sensibly, coherently. This book does just that, like a very good friend. It's cheaper than counselling; it's a 'quick fix' for interpersonal skills but with advice that also holds up and weathers well over time. It will keep you going when the weather is bad - I know, I've used it! It works.
on 21 December 2010
What really sets this book apart from other books on assertiveness is the accessible, engaging style of the book, offering practical advice in a clear, straightforward way; it is no surprise that it is written by two teachers. It is never a chore to read, its fresh look at different scenarios providing a variety of situations which most people will be able to identify with. I was particularly interested in the aspect of being assertive with colleagues, having recently undertaken a management role; the book has certainly given me lots of ideas for tackling potentially tricky situations. I would definitely recommend this book.
on 24 September 2011
I bought this book as I often struggle being assertive in many situations, mainly work and sometimes with friends. I also find it difficult to give critisism and give/receive compliments. This book has been a great help. It is very well written, easy to understand and the examples given are great. I would definitely recommend this book.
on 14 September 2010
I was so pleased to see there is a second book by these two well-informed women. I really enjoyed reading 'Bounce' and found it informative and rather inspirational in fact. The second book, on assertiveness, does not disappoint. It is filled with practical advice on how to handle instantly recognisable situations, from all areas of life. It is written in an easily accessible style, yet avoids being patronising, offering brilliant and useful tips on how to improve every day interactions, at work, at home and with friends. Excellent and highly recommended.
on 8 December 2011
I realised i had to do something about my lack of assertiveness when i moved back home and my mother began to control me and i had just moved out from living with a control freak!
i've had three jobs in a row where the boss or supervisor had bullied me into resigning and my friends were all trying to push me around. Something needed to be done and so i ordered this book and haven't regretted it. most books on assertiveness are aimed at work situations but this one covers a whole lot more. it's a great book to dip in and out of and most of all it's helping slowly with my confidence and self esteem because at long last i'm not rolling over and playing dead and resenting the way i always get treated.
on 4 May 2011
A great book to read full of great practical advice really enjoyed it, but.... i found the book to be biased towards the female gender. Not saying anything wrong with that but as a bloke i found the majority of examples in the book are sexiest, written mainly from a females point of view tackling issues with males behaviour. Iam neutral on these things but rightly or wrongly thats feeling i got. Still, there is lots to be taken from this book and i've used some of the advice myself with good effect, could have been a brilliant book if written with more balance.
on 17 December 2010
Once again Sue & Gill have hit the nail on the head with their new book. It's written in good plain English, making it so easy to read and understand. They both care passionately in the subjects they tackle, which comes through in their writing. This book is helpful to people of all ages and in all walks of life, not just for the workplace, but in dealing with various situations that can occur anywhere.
on 4 February 2011
This book is very positive and easy to relate to. It gives you very clear and uncomplicated guidance towards expressing yourself assertively so that you can communicate your needs- be it amongst friends, relatives, work colleagues or business associates. Very clearly thought out and presented.
on 11 May 2011
I have always wanted to be more assertive in many situations in my life, but found it difficult to achieve. Read many books and article about it, but found them to formal and not easy to apply the rules to my situations. So, when I found out about a new book written by Sue Hadfield I was excited as I knew that she was an expert in this area. I found Sue's book really easy to read and follow, many examples mentioned in the book applied to my situations. I found that I could easily follw the advice given and actually ahcieve results. It was also good to learn that your problems are shared by so many others, and that you can help yourself to overcome them.

I highly recccommend this bokk for people who like myself want to imporve on their life skills. It also helpful to show a way to overcome some of their anxieties in life and to achieve positive results.

Pari