5.0 out of 5 stars Think Positive!
Published on 30 Nov 2011 by Ann Holmes

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new
As said by another reviewer, nothing really new for me. Probasbly good if you're new to the genre.
Probably a bit dated as well.
Published 3 months ago by Mrs. T. Ash

5.0 out of 5 stars Think Positive!, 30 Nov 2011
Sue Hadfield has written this interesting book to argue that you and I can be trained to become positive thinkers even if, in the past, we have been "a glass half empty kind of person." To be successful we may need to look at the past in a new light: "If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance." (Here Hadfield quotes George Bernard Shaw). We may need to learn a new vocabulary, to abandon the old negative, self-deprecating language we have used in the past and remember some positive proverbs instead. I particularly liked the Swedish example she quotes: "Those who wish to sing always find a song."

The author uses an impressive and diverse range of references to help us analyse where our negativity, depression, stress, anxiety, irritation and anger might be coming from and how to begin to think in a different way. She includes psychological research, the ideas of philosophers and other writers as well as quotes from TV programmes, You Tube and other web-sites. We read proverbs and sayings that might have influenced us from all over the world. We are also treated to anecdotes; not least one of her own where she describes the theft of, among other things, her computer along with her only copy of nearly half of this book.

I know Sue Hadfield and can testify that she practises the techniques she describes in this and her other two books. She really does "...welcome life with all its messiness, upsets and triumphs as something to celebrate - because that's what life is." Read this excellent guide to find out how it is possible to remain positive even when challenged by difficult situations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 23 Nov 2011
Ms. A. J. Perkin (Hungary) - See all my reviews
Despite being rather cynical about 'self-help' books,I found this book useful and interesting. Hadfield manages to balance sensible suggestions with an intelligent understanding of every day life. I particularly liked the variety of quotations, and the encouragement to look at behaviour patterns we may not realise we are repeating.
All in all, an uplifting book; an excellent selection for any one who wishes to increase their positivity!

5.0 out of 5 stars Life-changing reading, 8 Nov 2011
J. Rowe "tiptreejen" (Brighton) - See all my reviews
This book is easy to read with helpful summaries, action points and exercises. Sue Hadfield, gently but firmly, shows you how your negative actions and thoughts affect the life you lead and how those negatives can be turned into positives with some small careful adjustment.

As a writer and teacher myself, I particularly appreciated the section on positive language (Chapter 2) and - being fairly confident that I avoid negative words - was nonplussed to note that I do indeed dwell on regrets (yes, 'I wish I'd bought a flat when it was cheaper' and yes, I have found excuses for why that wasn't my fault!).

Change your situation or accept it is the key and it makes an awful lot of sense. Various case studies show how people have changed their outlook and subsequently their lives for the better by simple attitude shifts. And if you don't believe Sue, well, she has a lot of people backing her up - the book is stuffed full of amazing and thought-provoking quotes, one of my favourites being from C.S. Lewis, 'You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream.' I may still be a relative youngster, but this is advice I would take over and over: I started my second career in my thirties - I took the jump and never looked back. I hope 'Brilliant Positive Thinking' helps you do the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Positive Thinking by Sue Hadfield, 7 Nov 2011
Dealing with stressful difficult situations in our every day lives can be tough. So this new self help book by Sue Hadfield guides the reader through a set of well structured exercises that encourages the reader to think. I found this book contained tips, quotes, examples and brilliant ideas to help adjust my negative thinking to clear away obstacles and challenges so that I could find solutions.

While I was reading this book I found myself thinking long and hard. How many hours each week do I spend doing things that I enjoy? And if I'm being honest... reading this book helped me to identify what was missing.

I really enjoyed the no-nonsense language because the writing was clear and concise and offered practical answers to help me change how I think. And: `If I achieve nothing else in the next few months except this . . .' what would it be?

A great book full of practical advice. I would recommend you pick up a copy. See if it can help you to change the way you think.

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read that will get you thinking, 18 Mar 2012
Heather Buckley (Brighton, E Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
As usual Sue Hadfield comes up with the goods! An interesting read and in no way patronising, Sue provides sound advice that is easy to apply. She gets you thinking using real life situations that many people can identify with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Positive Thinking, 1 Mar 2012
Positive thinking by Sue Hadfield is an excellent and practical guide to enable one to live every day in a positive way.It is both helpful and inspiring and her style is so conversational and down to earth that you feel she genuinely wants to help you personally to be happier.The examples ,personal reflections and exercises make this book very accessible.It offers a map and a compass to living a positive life.We all have a choice to live a fulfilling life .Just read the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A positive book, 6 Nov 2011
As the author Sue Hadfield says, (Chapter 8) 'There is no mystical secret to positive thinking. It's a state of mind that anyone can acquire'. In this book she explains how to acquire that state of mind. It's an interesting, entertaining and thought provoking read.
Read it once, and then anytime you feel yourself sliding into negative thought patterns, you only need to pick up this book and read a few pages and you'll be back into a positive frame of mind. Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great practical advice, 27 Oct 2011
Having recently become more and more stressed at work I started looking for a book that would prevent me turning into a cynical, disgruntled employee. I wasn't sure if a book on positive thinking would have any practical effect on me, but this book really does help you to change your behaviour and your outlook. It is written in a very engaging way, always clear and to the point; the use of real-life situations shows how the advice given can be put into practice. There are many helpful tips about the right language to use to change your way of looking at things, and I really liked the idea of "mindfulness" - not worrying unnecessarily about the future and trawling over things from the past, but appreciating the present. A really enjoyable read, which is not always something you can say about self-help books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Positively Brilliant Read =), 10 April 2012
Some of us are on a journey to discover more, some of us are content living how we already do, in pain, crippled with worry, stressed to their eye balls, as negative as a - sign.

Those who seek to discover more, discover more than they bargained for, when the truth hits you you feel no pain, just elation.

This book is incredible, the author is an excellent writer, with a great outlook on life, so inspiring. I fund this book impossible to put down, in fact i read it twice since i bought it 2 weeks ago already, and no doubt i will read it again when the time comes.

If you want to discover more, more about you, about the world around you, and how to effectively deal with anything positively, then this book more certainly is for you. I was already on the road to positive enlightenment before i read this, but this book helped me to see things a bit differently now, and my life is more richer, the knowledge that i can see anything through fresh eyes has woken up my tiny little world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly useful, 17 July 2012
I have known Sue Hadfield for many years, and I have found her to be a positive and confident person who remains so even when life is not treating her well. In "Brilliant positive thinking", she has succeeded in putting her wonderful way of thinking into an easy to follow guide book. Most people including myself can relate to the situations presented in the book, and find usuful remedies to deal with them. Dealing with stress and anxiety in life is not usually easy, but in this book you find useful guidance and brilliant tips which are very helpful. For example, "thinking of a memory which make you laugh" is such a helpful tip, I find thinking of fun memories I have from my dad, and the way they made me laugh are so uplifting and hugely change my mood.