on 6 November 2011
Like most people who buy the occasional business book, I've been disappointed. Sometimes they're insufferably dull and impossible to wade through. And on the other end of the scale, sometimes they drag one basic idea out across umpteen pages.

I'm happy to say this book is neither. It's written like a book about writing should be: really well! Interesting, informative, illuminating and infinitely better than any other book on the subject I've found.
on 19 January 2012
I don't write many reviews, but this book is an excellent business resource and an excellent guide to writing of ANY kind.

Sections on audience and medium, `how to craft that draft' and `how to be irresistibly persuasive' were highlights for me. But in truth the whole book is impressive - it's an easy read without being lightweight and it sizzles along with stories and advice that stay with you. I know many people at my company whose writing would benefit from this book's learnings and I'll be quoting passages of it to them 'til they get the message!

One last thing: there are dozens of `essential examples' and `essential tips' flagged in shaded boxes throughout. This breaks up the main text really well and you can pick up quite a few ideas just by dipping into the book and browsing through them. Reading this one has encouraged me to buy others in the FT series - I just hope they're as good.
on 3 November 2011
This is a superbly-written book; if you're serious about your career then I can't recommend it enough. It's easy to read and cleverly structured - but most of all it's crammed FULL of useful knowledge. Page after page of little gem I hadn't seen or read anywhere else.

Honestly, it will make everything you write in business ten times better at a stroke. Well done Financial Times Essential Guides!
on 27 March 2013
Read this book if your job involves writing reports, proposals or any form of written communication. This book was exactly what I was looking for, it is easy to read, providing lots of useful information and details and examples to improve your written communications.
on 14 March 2014
I've only read a few chapters and already think this book was a good purchase.

My Background:

I'm not a particularly strong writer, however I write clearly to friends and family (when free writing) but forever get writers block when writing emails at work, especially when sending to a wide demographic of stakeholders.
This book seems to be tailored towards those who need direction in their writing, and more importantly how to structure their writing. Having already purchased several books like this, this easily is the book tailored to my needs.

Its not vague or ambiguous like other books I've read, and gives helpful examples on how to flex and improve your writing!

5 stars. Must get if your a poor email'er/blogger like me!
on 10 November 2011
This is the definitive book on business writing and a really good read to boot. Forget dry, dusty tomes: Atkinson brings the subject to life in a way that makes it as enjoyable as it is illuminating. Five stars.
on 2 January 2014
I've loved writing for quite some time. Unfortunately, I wasn't so eloquent at expressing myself. I looked at how other writers could keep their readers interested and engaged and thought to myself,"If they can do it, so can I".
I googled some titles and found this book to be the most persuasive. I bought it right away.
The author explains that effective writing isn't about using pretty words. Its about making the reader understand and keeping him/her enaged in your writing. I'm half-way through this book and its been more than worth it.
Buy it.
on 4 April 2016
This book is an absolute MUST-to-have, not just for business writing, but for writing in general! No matter if you are a beginner or a pro, in this book you will come across with useful, clearly summarised advice and tips - written in a witty and easily digestible style - that you can immediately start to use in your everyday life.
I can't recommend this book highly enough!
on 7 December 2014
I write by-lined pieces on my specialist legal area that are published in trade journals. This book is a great toolbox to have at your disposal. I have highlighted twenty or so passages that I have referred to time-and-time again when writing articles. Plus it's a good read - witty and informative.
on 8 November 2011
I buy business books with good intentions but rarely find the time to read them. This was an exception: once I started I couldn't put it down. Truly an excellent guide to better business writing, it should be on the recommended reading list of every business and management qualification.