4.0 out of 5 stars Bat For Lashes' most fully-realised album to date
The fancy dress costumes have been put away, and the haunting claustrophobia of Natasha Khan's previous albums Fur and Gold and Two Suns have been traded in for a sound that is cinematic in scope and mature in outlook.

Haunted Man opens with 'Lillies', a song that draws from the same conceptual well as Goldfrapp's Felt Mountain. Khan's ethereal voice hovers...
Published 21 months ago by J. L. Cronshaw

3.0 out of 5 stars Exciting cover art, real shame the music isn't quite as stimulating ...
Music critics can be so demanding. Natasha Khan aka Bat For Lashes has already released two outstanding albums, some of the best singles in years and a slew of innovative music videos and yet the congescenti all claim she's still got something to prove on her third full length "The Haunted Man". Fortunately Natasha doesn't seem like the sort of person who reads a lot of...
Published 21 months ago by Kenneth

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Bland, inoffensive and undistinguished., 16 Oct 2012
Pre-ordered this on the strength of the first two albums, and I'm afraid it doesn't live up to their quality. On the haunted man, one track merges in to the next until the whole becomes one homogenous mass - in very much the same way that Dido albums do. Fine if you're looking for background music which won't trouble anyone with any distinctive moments; not so good if you would like to be able to tell any of the 11 tracks apart.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great, 7 Nov 2012
A new Bat For Lashes album is always welcome. Her obsession with Kate Bush is more noticeable here, it is just unfortunate she has chosen to mimic some of her more recent (and not so good) work.

The album is generally quite good, but lacks a certain something that elevated the previous two to a much higher level. This seems over produced in placed.

The outstanding tracks for me are Laura and Winter Fields. Marilyn could have been another, but for some unfathomable reason someone decided it would be a good idea to give Alvin the Chipmunk a guest appearance. Trust me when I say that history has yet to give us an example of a song that it enhanced by the addition of a comic chipmunk.

I hope that Natasha drops the gimmicks for the next album and gets back to basics.

3.0 out of 5 stars Haunted, 29 Dec 2012
I have been so busy that I've only managed to hear this twice all the way through. I'm enjoying it so my rating may improve later.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre, 8 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Haunted Man (Audio CD)
This was my first Bat for lashes album after watching several videos and liking the material I was sadly disappointed this wasn't better. It has its moments, I love the track "Laura" and Natasha Khan's voice is heavenly but it is not a great collection which I was hoping for.

5.0 out of 5 stars It grows on you., 2 July 2013
K. P. F. Fletcher (England) - See all my reviews
The more I listened to this the more I liked it. I saw them live which helped, but the vocals of this keep getting to you and as I said it grows on you so some moths after buying it is still one of my favourite CDs. Two suns is also good, but not quite as immersive as this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing., 14 May 2013
Not a terrible album but due to the previous one being so good I had high expectations. Unfortunately this doesn't compare to the first one and I wouldn't recommend it. I was disappointed as I hoped for something much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely magical, 3 May 2013
Heard a review of the album with Jo Whiley just before its release and though I’d try it out.

I so wish I’d found Natasha’s music years ago.

Beautiful voice, powerful lyrics, wonderful sounds.

If I had to pick a favourite track then it would have to be Winter Fields, if only ‘cause of the reference to Sussex (born and bread but now living in Birmingham, the coast is something I vie for dearly).

But the whole album is full of great tracks, the sort of songs that paint images in your head and make you think about life. I just love it.

Had to go and get Two Suns and Fur and Gold straight away!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in parts, 9 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Haunted Man (MP3 Download)
There have been some magical and original moments in Bat for lashes previous work , sadly this is a bit patchy in places.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed!, 22 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Haunted Man (MP3 Download)
I love her early music and was expecting something along the same lines, but this album sucks. Whiny and annoying, I want to like it, but I can't!

1.0 out of 5 stars Biggest Load of Pap!!! I have ever heard in my life, 25 Oct 2012
Are these albums brought out for a laugh or what.
Obviously this load of old pap belongs in the Tate Modern with the other works such as a pile of Bricks on the Floor or a Blocked Toilet in formaldehyde.
Every Track is dreary, dull, lifeless and in my opinion totally depressing that you need to get some Prozac to get over it.
The cover makes me laugh as what is Natasha Khan trying to prove to everybody.
Obviously she must be into Gilbert and George,Yoko Ono or Tracy Emin who are all a load of weirdos and an excuse for art.
Do yourselves a favor and put the CD in an Ashtray and send it to the Tate modern and call it Crap in an Ashtray and you might get somewhere.
The Haunted Man should be renamed Deep Depression and as for the cover she is better off going to the Gym instead as that weird looking guy looks like he is anorexic so she ain't that tough.
Total Pap!!! of the Highest Order by a pretentious weird wannabee!!!!!

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

The Haunted Man
The Haunted Man by Bat for Lashes (Audio CD - 2012)