The folk scene in Britain is incredibly strong at the moment, and Celtic influenced folk in particular is enjoying quite a renaissance with many great artists from Scotland and Ireland making some absolutely stunning music. Irish songbird Heidi Talbot is right up at the forefront, making some really gorgeous music with her sweet, lilting and emotive voice.

This...
Published 13 months ago by Victor

3.0 out of 5 stars Great tracks but a voice too sweet
I love many of the tracks and much of the musicianship on this album but I struggle to get on with Heidi's voice. It is surely sweet but to my ear this becomes sickly and slightly shrill, lacking warmth, depth or edge. I'll have to accept that Heidi's voice is not for me and stick to others for my folk fix.
Published 13 months ago by Emma

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Angels Without Wings: Heidi Talbot - I'm not sorry for listening to this delightful record, 14 Mar 2013
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Angels Without Wings (Audio CD)

This album gives us a set of Celtic folk influenced songs, telling tales of love and the tangled messes that it can cause. Lyrically it is a delight, and Talbot's voice is so clear you can hear every word. It also benefits from a gentle production, that accentuates Talbot's voice and pushes it centre stage.

If I have one criticism, it is that for me the album lacks a little in bite. The tone is, through out, very sweet, and I felt there was room for a darker edge to some of the tracks that would have given the album a little more contrast and made it more interesting. But for all that it is still a gorgeous album.

I had the pleasure of seeing Heidi Talbot, her husband John McCusker and Ian Carr in concert in Pocklington very recently, as part of their tour to support this album. It was a delightful night and I can really recommend seeing her live, as when she has an audience to interact with there is an added layer to her music. And there was a good natured, warm hearted banter between her and her band mates that made the audience feel very welcome.

4 stars for this album. It's got some real high points and is generally a suite of beautiful sounding music, but it does suffer a little from the lack of contrasts, hence losing a star.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really beautiful, 21 Feb 2013
A wonderful album by Heidi Talbot, formerly lead singer with the American/Irish all girl band, Cherish the Ladies. Mostly penned by herself but some collaborations including Boo Hewerdine, John McCusker (her husband), Tim O'Brien and King Creosote (Kenny Anderson). Also some fine duets with the aforementioned Tim O'Brien on When the Roses Come Again - (my personal favourite), Louis Abbott on The Loneliest & Kenny Anderson on Button Up & Will I Ever Get to Sleep?

Simply a joy to listen to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Record, 19 Feb 2013
This review is from: Angels Without Wings (Audio CD)
This is the first albulm bu Heidi Talbot I have listened to, but many of the songs are real gems. The whole record is beautifully played and sung. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT ARTIST, 13 Mar 2014
This review is from: Angels Without Wings (Audio CD)
AFTER HEARING THIS ARTIST ON THE RADIO I BOUGHT THIS ALBUM AND CONTINUOUSLY PLAY IT IN THE CAR.

GRRRRRRRRRRRREEEAAAAAAATTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TOP BUY

5.0 out of 5 stars A joy to listen to., 20 Feb 2014
This review is from: Angels Without Wings (Audio CD)
I had never heard of Heidi Talbot until I heard "Wine and Roses" played on the radio. On the strength of that one listening I ordered the cd from Amazon. The album is a joy. Heidi Talbot has a wonderful voice that we do not hear enough of.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 17 Oct 2013
This review is from: Angels Without Wings (Audio CD)
Heidi Talbot has a beautiful voice. This CD is lovely and has some very good songs on it. Worth a listen

5.0 out of 5 stars Heidi Talbot, 5 Oct 2013
Quentin M. Sayer (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angels Without Wings (Audio CD)
What a great CD. This lady has a great voice and one I heard by chance on the radio. A great addition to my collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heidi sings like an angel, 15 Aug 2013
This gets better every time I listen. Have now heard some of her earlier albums and standard is great throughout.

5.0 out of 5 stars Angels Without Wings CD, 31 July 2013
This review is from: Angels Without Wings (Audio CD)
A brilliant CD with a fabulous compilation of songs, beautifully performed by Heidi Talbot and superb backing from world class musicians. I really enjoyed Heidi Talbot, with her husband John McCusker and Ian Carr in concert at Kirkgate Centre, Cockermouth in February, as part of their tour to support this album. It was a briliant "BIG GIG" and I recommend seeing her live, as Heidi and her songs charm the audience, so much, that you feel you have known her for years .

5.0 out of 5 stars Angels, 13 May 2013
M. Thompson "Music Lover" (Northumberland, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angels Without Wings (Audio CD)
Never heard of Heidi or her music until
I heard her song on Radio 2. What a lovely
sound. I play it often now

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xaafdef9c)

Angels Without Wings
Angels Without Wings by Heidi Talbot (Audio CD - 2013)