This ebook reminds me of an album that's got 15 songs on it. Most of the songs you like and there are a few that you either don't "get it" or just flat out don't like. But, since 10 out of the 15 songs are great, you don't complain because you can say to yourself "I've got a 10-song cd that I really like" as opposed to a 5-6 song on a good album for the same price...
Published 19 months ago by Andre Lawrence

3.0 out of 5 stars Moderately useful
Does what it says on the tin. While a lot of the advice will probably already have occurred to you (don't have a horrible cover, sexy titles = good etc.), the chapter on Twitter marketing had some info that was new to me, and prompted me to do further research on my own.
Published 14 months ago by D.Z.C.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Resource With A Few Minor Issues. THE KINDLE PUBLISHING BIBLE: A Critical Review., 4 Feb 2013
Andre Lawrence (Miami, Florida) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Kindle Publishing Bible: How To Sell More Kindle Ebooks on Amazon (Step-by-Step Instructions On Self-Publishing And Marketing Your Books) (Kindle Bible Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

*** ***

The challenge when ANY author makes a dramatic statement like adding the word "Bible" to the title suggests a lot of things about expectations and authority.

As someone who know a little bit about publishing, editing and designing, I can verify that MOST of Tom Corson-Knowles words about ebook publishing is accurate.

Mr. Corson-Knowles is a self-made author and a ebook publishing whiz when it comes to the Amazon eBook Eco-sphere. And, in this book (a very thorough and well-explained book) are some important discussions from HIS perspective of what would make a successful and profitable eBook.

The Chapters include:

How To Choose Your Best-Selling Book Title
How To Master Kindle Categories To Sell More Books
How To Sell More Books Using The Right Keywords
Designing A Best-Selling Book Cover
How To Get More Reviews (The Ethical Way) and How To Handle Bad Reviews
What You Need To Know About International Kindle Sales
Writing More Books, A Guaranteed Way To Sell More Kindle Books!
KDP Free Promotion Launch Formula
Writing Productivity Tips, Strategies and Resources
Bonus Interviews With Best-Selling Authors

*** ***

The first thing to know with ANY venture is this: NOTHING is guaranteed. Some strategies (and this is exactly what this book is) will work but the same strategy won't work for the next author doing the exact same thing.

The upside is... serendipity is ALWAYS possible. The combination of many things have to work in your favor including the timing of the release of your work.

There's also the relationship that readers have to digital devices that is far different than the relationship they share with the physical printed page-- in whatever flavor meets their fancy. (I Love my The Lord Of The Rings 50th Anniversary hardcover-- the digital version doesn't excite me the way the physical book does.)

This is also not to mention that the bar is much, much lower for eBook-only authors. A person can lose $5 on an eBook and quickly forget about it but won't forgive a terrible $25 book as fast.

*** ***

Two of the standout chapters in Mr. Corson-Knowles' book are his chapter on
"How to Get More Reviews (The Ethical Way)... [Ch. 6] and
"How To Choose Your Best Selling Book Title [Ch. 1]

Ch. 6--
He is exactly right. Most recently we (the Amazon Vine Reviewers) have been mercilessly maligned for manufacturing 5-star reviews for unread or generous servings of unmerited praise for book reviews. As someone who's been writing public reviews for 12 years, long before this marketing program started, this is an absolute exaggeration for the lion's share of Vine reviewers.

There are people who approach us-- sometimes my email account gets hit with 5-10 review requests a day. I personally don't have the time to accept all of those offers in addition to my busy life but the ones I do accept-- I respond very explicitly to the requester that if I accept, I'll publish a review if it's 4 or 5 stars, if it's not I will give you my reasons why such an item does not meet my minimum standard. But under no circumstance does anyone get a free-ride because they're offering me their product for free.

There are authors who do solicit certain reviewers because they're very liberal in their praises. This doesn't do you, as the author, any good, because when paying customers start to post negative reviews-- it will be an avalanche.

Ch. 1--
He is wrong. When Mr. Corson-Knowles' writes:
"Choosing the title of your book is probably the most important decision you'll make...[The] title of the book will do more to increase sales than any other single decision you'll make about your book."

He is greatly mistaken.

If I had to list the essential things to score a sale, it would be:

1. The Cover Design. If your cover design doesn't catch people's eyes, the title of the book doesn't matter. It is the proverbial "First Impression." That has to be right.

2. (a Tie) The book's title and the book's content

The first represents the style and latter represent substance. The author is correct when he went down a list of books who's sales numbers increase with a change of the title or marketing the same content to a different population with a different title.

But, before you get to marketing and sales figures-- if the title doesn't accurately entice you (once the cover design catches your eye) and if the content is not informative or memorable-- your work will quickly sink.

Having a career in this field means having the goods and mastering the marketing aspect.

Everything else in Mr. Corson-Knowles' eBook checks out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of useful information for the Kindle author, 18 Dec 2012
This is one of those books every budding Kindle author should read. It won't tell you how to format an ebook (and it has a couple of small formatting issues itself) but it will give you the best possibillity of making sales and increasing those sales. It is packed full of really useful information you need to know before you take the step of hitting "Publish".

Thanks for all this Tom!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for novices like me, limited use for fiction writers I think., 13 Dec 2013
I uploaded my first Kindle ebook early this year and sat back..... nothing!!
The Dragon Dilemma
I then did a Kindle free offer & told all my friends..... 120 "sales" (mostly free).... £3 royalties.
My first profit!
Had I read this book first then I could have done it differently and quicker and maybe more profitably but hey....
I could have benefited from more info for fiction writers as it's heavily biased towards non-fiction books.
But no complaints for the money - a good intro (but not really the Bible of everything).

3.0 out of 5 stars Moderately useful, 30 Jun 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Done Tom, 29 Nov 2012
It is refreshing to find a self help book that is easy to follow and that clearly explains its subject matter to the reader.
It's also refreshing to read a self help book where its author is NOT just using it as a base to market a whole load of other products. Well done Tom - it's another great addition to your portfolio of books. I highly recommend this book to any aspiring Kindle publisher.

5.0 out of 5 stars Telling It As It Is, 2 Sep 2013
With so many "how to succeed" books available on the Kindle marketplace, the mind tends to boggle and wonder just where it will all end, will any one book be better than another, do I buy this book or should I try another? I will admit to already having bought a few similar books but, and let's put my view right in the first paragraph, had I bought this one first then I need not have bought the others.

Having published (for real!) in paperback, magazines, newspapers throughout the world since I was a young teenager, I was reluctant to move into the self-publishing arena, and even more reluctant to try my hand at the eBook market. What convinced me was my beloved iPad which, shamefully, I do not use as much as I should but which is the best way of reading a book I have ever come across - coupled with having read books on my pc for some years, of course.

It seemed mind-boggling ploughing through all the instructions on the Amazon help pages but, and this is important, those pages are designed to assist new publishers in the eBook field and so are quite comprehensive. As Tom tells us in this book, being able to write using Word (or similar software that will provide a comparable final file) is all that is actually required. Sure, it is good to be able to convert to the required web file, even better if we are able to address the HTML code that results and tidy it up (which, thankfully, I can do), but, and as Tom points out so markedly in this book, what is most important is that a writer writes and gets the book online and live. Revisions and full edits can come later - although, for my part, I do spend many days on the edit process before I upload the file, but that is just my way of doing things and I do have the time available to do it.

Over the past 3 months I have been able to upload 13 books (fiction, poetry and non-fiction) to Amazon Kindle and have been pleased with the initial sales. The poetry was the most difficult to format but, thanks to some excellent blogs that I could use and using my own small HTML knowledge, I was pleased with the end result which at least looks like poetry on the page (and not one word per line as I came across with one volume of Whitman!). I even discovered a completed manuscript, Kissing The Train, which I did not even remember writing! Reading through it, I have decided it is my best fiction but also the hardest to read and understand. But no one said reading should be easy either. We all need to get something out of the reading experience and provided we don't have to reach for a dictionary every 5 minutes, a book that makes us think will live with us far longer than a book that we skim through and toss aside.

And what did Tom do for me with The Kindle Publishing Bible? He made me think, and that is not as easy as it might sound. I had already revised some of my covers from the initial uploads, especially Kissing The Train, so I was pleased to find that Tom discusses this in his book and it added to my own confidence that I had done the right thing. Considering changing titles, that was a very thought-provoking section. Would I do it? Damn, it was hard enough finding the titles in the first place, and for fiction that is never easy. But, and this is where we come to the absolute essential part of Tom's book, but should I not at least consider that my titles are not good enough, at least for search engines?

This review might seem like rambling, I enjoy rambling, I am famed for it... although anyone reading this will see instantly that I have already led to the point of Tom's book. He has made me think, he will make you think. Rather than writing and publishing, he will make you wonder if there really was more that you could do. Remember, when self-publishing there is no benefit of a publisher's editor to review the work and offer suggestions, there is no one else who even looks at the cover as a rule until it is uploaded. Tom, and others, are not sat with us but reading through his book has made me wonder just what little tweaks I could do, even on simple things like covers and titles.

Yet Tom's advice does not end there. His examination of KDP Select and of using the free promotion days is particularly helpful and I can see that I wasted my own promotional days during the first three months. My next 90 day period will be due shortly and I will be sure to employ Tom's advice this time. Had I bought this book a few months ago instead of buying other (cheaper) titles, each of which were very helpful in their own way, but Tom's book would have saved me time and given me a better direction.

It was Tom's use of the word Bible in his title(s) that actually put me off buying this book first. That, though, is my subjectivity because his book is not a bible, it is not fully comprehensive, it does not spend endless pages examining all points minutely. Even so, what IS contained in these pages is a fluent, easily read series of notes with information that can be applied to every eBook that we upload. Tom is also not afraid to remind us that as writers we should not be precious about our work and that we should always remember that, when self-publishing, we are running a business where the craft of writing the text is only one part of the process. We have to be both artist and businessman/woman otherwise we will just flounder.

I have totally ignored the occasional formatting error in this book, it did not detract at all from the reading and that is what is important. I wish I had bought it first but I have not lost anything really since the last 3 months have been spent getting my work prepared and uploaded. Sure, I have other manuscripts ready, sure I have a novel that I really need to get back to because 50,000 words already written should not be wasted, and sure I have lots of ideas in notebooks. But with 13 of my books already on Amazon Kindle and all of them selling, now I need to apply some of the ideas that Tom proposes. It will cost me nothing but a little time and effort.

Who, then, is this book for? Is it for the beginning novelist? Is it for those who have already published? I would suggest that it is for everyone who is in the business of writing and of self-publishing, especially those who use the Kindle platform. I am therefore giving this book a 5 star review because of the fluency of the writing and the ease with which Tom has imparted the information he wished to say. Far better to have 100 pages of text that is useful than 400 pages where 75% is just waffle.

Therefore, if you are hesitating over spending your hard-earned pounds (or dollars if you are in the US) just click the Buy Now button, you really do have a lot to gain and, after reading just the first few chapters, I knew that the information in this book was worth every penny (cent). Before I close I will add that I am not related to Tom, I am not one of his friends and I have not been approached to write this review for him.

Stephen Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful for Beginners and Seasoned Writers, 14 Aug 2014
This can be a very useful book for beginners as well as seasoned writers. With the wealth of information, there should be a few new ideas even for the old timers. With over 20 books published, I still find some quality ideas in this book. I have already applied those tips and they are paying off. If the mark of a "how to" book is how affective it is when the information is utilized, then this is a winner for me. Tom covers just about all the basics from start to finish so I am sure there is something here for just about everyone. With that said, I do believe this book is of benefit to writers and worth the time to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great help, 3 April 2014
I need all the help I can get and this was easy to read and to apply. This is staying on my kindle and I will constantly be referring to it to guide me through the self publishing promotion. It is easy to understand with no big fancy tech words!

5.0 out of 5 stars START HERE!, 24 Mar 2014
Thinking of following your dreams and self-publishing a kindle book? Sounds a lot easier than it turns out to be but Tom really guides you through the process. The worst thing you'll find discover is that it isn't just a case of pressing the button and magically creating the perfect book, you need a lot of patience and a few technical skills. With Tom in your corner you'll get there faster and easier.

Mark Watson - Author of "The Shark in the Park".

5.0 out of 5 stars Hayse, 27 Nov 2013
Contains excellent tips and provides great insight into self-publishing. Guiding you through the process. It's helped to give confidence and help a writer with a completed book on his laptop to self publish on Amazon. Thank you.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›