4.0 out of 5 stars Good camera
Published 11 months ago by Andy Craven

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Bit of Kit let down by wind noise though!
Published 13 months ago by wtommo

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Bit of Kit let down by wind noise though!, 8 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Polaroid XS100 Extreme Edition HD 1080p 16MP Waterproof Sports Action Camera + Mounting Kit Included (Electronics)
I bought this kit for use on my motorbike / helmet and i am happy to say (looking at some of the other reviews) that i have so far not suffered all the issues other people seem to be having. (Had mine for about 1 year now) I used it many times throughout the year and on a number of occasions had chance to compare directly with my brothers GoPro whilst we were out on our bikes together.
Here is what i found.
1. Side by side picture quality wise there is very little difference and certainly nothing to write home about. The GoPro seemed a little brighter in dull days, but the night time quality I believe the Polaroid to be better.
2. I have a USB charger cable installed on my bike and only had to recharge the battery on the Polaroid once during the day, and normally towards the end of the day. i would say that the battery lasts around 4 -5 hours of running time. My brother carried a number of batteries around with him for his GoPro which i thought seemed to run out quickly
3. As the Polaroid gives a vibration signal you know when it is on your helmet, if it has stopped recording when the battery is running out whereas there is no similar signal on the GoPro.
4. The Polaroid does not have an external microphone connection, primarily due to the waterproof capability whereas the GoPro does and as my brother has run a microphone into his helmet, i found the wind noise by comparison a fairly substantial difference. This is definitely a major negative for the Polaroid, if you are using it for high speed. Due to a dark patch on the bottom of my motorbike screen i cannot mount it on my handlebars to try and get it out the wind.

Being honest the high wind noise is the only part that has really disappointed me about the Polaroid, and probably for motorbiking would not make me buy one again. However this is the only negative for me with this unit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good camera, 23 April 2014
Andy Craven - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I bought this as wanted a decent camera to mount in my car - couldn't really justify the cost of a go-pro and after comparing videos on YouTube, the picture quality seemed comparable. I purchased a 32gb micro SD, which simply slots into the camera. The instructions I received were actually quite comprehensive - you will need to read them to understand both the software and TV menu, but I'll give you a summary of how to set-up.

Firstly, you need to format the SD card by connecting the camera via the supplied HDMI cable to your TV. Insert the cable, the SD card and then turn the camera on. This will load the menu, which isn't the most user friendly menu you'll ever see, but if you read the instructions you'll be fine. Using the power button (by clicking once or twice to move and select), move to the format section and the SD card will be formatted. Unplug the HDMI, turn the camera off and then plug the supplied USB cable into your computer and then turn the camera back on. This will access the software menu and files on the SD card. In the software menu, you can choose image quality (Full HD or FHD), as well as the camera settings. It's important to note that to access either the TV or software menu, you need to plug the cable in and then turn the camera on - mine would not detect either if the camera was already on.

The XS100 in video mode records two separate files - one in the higher quality setting and another in low quality setting. Some reviews stated that the audio was only available on the lower quality setting, but this isn't the case. The higher quality video setting has no audio when played through Windows Media Player, but when I changed to Quicktime I had both Full HD image and audio together. The picture quality is very impressive, but the audio is not the best. I mounted this on the rear window in my car and whilst there was audio, there was an annoying crackling noise under acceleration. This could be the suction cup wasn't fully attached, a sponge was needed between the camera and mount or that it's just poor audio. I need to play about a bit more to really figure this out, but if you're after sharp audio quality I don't think you'll be impressed with this.

A number of reviews have also highlighted that the camera just doesn't work (switching itself on/off or just not operating at all). So far, I've encountered no such issues and seems fine. You can either turn the camera on using the power switch, which puts the camera into standby - you can then take pictures (by pressing the power button, which will vibrate slightly upon capturing), or move the recording switch from off to on to capture video. Another option to capture video when the camera is off is to simply move the recording switch from off to on, which will then power the camera on and begin recording video.

I've now moved a number of video files into a folder I use for my XBMC media player and the image quality really is good for a camera at this price point. In summary, if you are going to use an action camera frequently and really are after excellent audio/image quality then you need to fork out for a go pro black. I see little to no difference between this and the lower go pro models bar the audio, which whilst not great is still acceptable. For the camera, 32gb micro SD and a suction mount at under £150 (even the lower go pro would be nearly £300 with these included), this is a bargain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the money, 27 Sept. 2013
K. Nicholl "Mr. Meticulous" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Great wee camera - remember it's waterproof so the sound is pretty poor (thats the trade off for waterproof, all waterproof cameras have poor sound). Low light performance is very good. Had a few problems with recording (shortened recordings, failures etc) until I formatted the SD card via the TV interface which seems to be the most reliable (just plug it into your HD TV with the supplied HDMI cable). Futzing around with the SD card via PC is not going to give good results - format once via TV then you're fine.(you can copy & delete the recordings via your PC but don't wipe the whole card or you'll need to reformat again). The automatic orientation can be a pain if you don't expect it - be sure to disable it if you don't want it. Pretty decent quality pictures, in good light it's on a par with Contour or GoPro and I think it's got excetional lowlight performance. For the money I think this is unbeatable.

4.0 out of 5 stars very nice camera, 20 Jan. 2013
the important for me is to taking photos and video with just one button, no need to go to the settings to change mode, 1080p is perfect, easy to use, very good photos.
That i don't like is the battery. It is very good battery (2-2,5 hours), better than others cameras but the problem is that, it's inside the camera and you cant change it, so if you run out of battery your trip ends. You can't have extra battery to change it and there is not other way (battery pack) but to put the camera for charging

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need for camera cleaning, 21 Jan. 2011
I bought this product for my partner as he has recently purchased a digital SLR camera.
He is very fussy about keeping his equipment clean and dust free.
This pack contains everything (and I mean everything) that you could ever need for your camera cleaning needs. Because there are so many pieces you can take all or just a few items in your bag and away you go.

Bonus is that the seller dispatched the item very quickly too. No compliants from me, or my partner about this product or the service. Thanks :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great full HD (1080p) /HD (720p) recording, 9 Mar. 2013
I bought this being a little bit cautious not knowing what to expect considering everybody else is buying GoPro, Contour or Drift cameras. However after I received the product and played with it for a few days I am convinced I made a great choice.

Make sure you buy a good class 10 Micro SD card and 32GB. 20min of 720p video is about 1GB. Double if you want 60fps or 1080p.

This is less then half the price of the established brands and does the job better in some respects. Video quality brilliant and you have the slide record button you can use with your gloves on and also it vibrates for confirmation when switching on/off, start recording, etc.

Search 'yamaha polaroid xs100' on youtube to see 720p video quality (the video is about 6min long).

Hope this will help someone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good as a video recorder, not so much for an editing point of view., 2 Jan. 2015
I have to admit, I absolutely love the product, the design is awesome and the fittings which come with it are perfect, I have used this on my motorcycle helmet, motorcycle handlebars and other places on the bike, my bars on my pushbike, I fitted it to my car and the results have all been amazing. The only downside is the still photo's, as you can't preview them at the time, they tend to be quite blurry unfortunately, although the video quality is great.

The sound quality is very good but you do get quite a bit of wind noise, not particularly great if you was to try and vlog on a bike, great for vlogging in the car though.

The ONLY reason which I gave this 4 rather than 5 stars, is due to the playback/editing features. Playback on the TV is good, the quality is spot on however there is no ability to fast forward or rewind, therefore to see something which happened near the end of your clip, you must watch the whole way through. With regards to playback on a computer, I found that Windows Media/Movie players only give the visuals and do not play back the sound. I would really like to find a free video editing software which I can use to edit this video type. *Any tips are welcomed*

2.0 out of 5 stars Very heavy, 18 Jan. 2013
Harry Beasant (England) - See all my reviews
Please note that the camera is quite heavy and trying a gopro, I no longer recommend this camera.

I had been looking for a good value 1080p action camera for a long time, and then I cam across this one.

First off, the camera was very nicely and neatly packaged, had everything that was advertised and no issues with packaging.

The manual for the camera was easy to read and had all the required information in multiple languages, There were no issues with the documentation, so I am not sure what the other 1 star review was on about.

I had purchased a 32GB Micro SD card for this and it was definitely necessary, the camera records very clear and crisp footage, but takes up a lot of disk space, around 100Mb/1min, so you will need large storage, however, this is normal.

The camera is very light and ergonomic, it has many fittings and mounts so that you can either have the camera on the top/side of your head or on handle bars/ski poles. This proves to be a very handy thing, as with other action cameras, I noticed you had to buy them as extra, some being £30+. So very good extra!.

Overall, the action camera has proven to survive falls on ski ramps and has not been effected at all. Definitely recommend this camera to anyone wanting to record an action sport!

5.0 out of 5 stars A versatile sports camera to record all of your high action sports to share with your friends or on YouTube!, 8 April 2013
JJCEO (Greenwood, Indiana) - See all my reviews
Length:: 9:56 Mins

This is a great sports camera that takes photos and videos with sound of your high action sporting events. It comes with a massive amount of accessory hardware for mounting the camera on your bike, motorcycle, skate board, helmet and many other locations. I have put together a video showing the features and the hardware of the camera. At one point it was 15 minutes long and I had to reduce it to 10 minutes (still long) and I had to delete a lot of video regarding the mounting hardware and how to assemble it.

The unit comes with a user manual but it is very brief. You can go to the Polaroid (Polaroidaction) web site and download a larger manual and I suggest that you do this. In addition you can download software at the same website for Windows or Mac to allow you to interface with the camera's firmware and set up the photography, video recording and TV playing features. You can also set the date and time in the camera. Just a note that the software I downloaded for a Windows computer did not operate and I found out that when you install a Micro SD memory card into the camera the firmware burns a copy of interface software onto the SD card. When you connect the camera to your computer you can click on that interface software and it will allow you to change the internal settings of the camera to fit your needs. That software worked perfectly.

The photos and videos taken by the camera are really quite good. The photos do have a sort of fisheye effect on objects that are very close to the lens due to the 170 degree filming angle but they are still good resolution photos. The video was excellent and high quality. The sound was a bit muffled but you have to remember that the camera is submersible to 30 feet in water so it is natural to have a more muted sound recording due to the protection of the microphone from the water. I could only hear the audio portion of the video recording by playing the video using Quicktime software. I won't repeat the photography and video specifications as they are all listed in the specs on Amazon but it is a long list of features that you can set up.

You will have to insert a Micro SD Memory card to record your photos and videos on. I would recommend a 32 GIG card, Class 6 speed or higher, to allow you adequate recording space and speed. You should format the card before use using FAT32 format. You also have to charge the camera for about 3 hours using an external USB charging adapter before you use it. You can also charge it with your computer USB port but it will take longer as the USB 2.0 port only provides 500 mA of current for charging. One charge allows you to use the camera for about 2.5 hours.

The camera is water proof to 30 feet of water so it is good for water sports as well as action sports. I like that the control buttons are simple to use and they have highly unique shapes and surfaces so you can learn to control the camera by your sense of touch. The camera also vibrates so you can feel the vibration when you have activated a feature. The camera is also shock proof and it mounts in many different ways. It even comes with a thin safety string that acts as a backup to your camera mounting just in case you don't mount the camera properly and it comes loose. This prevents you from possibly losing the camera or damaging it.

While you are recording video the camera records two files for your future use. One is the file recorded in the definition that you have set up and the second is a smaller lower definition version that you can easily post onto YouTube for example. In my tests an 18 second video was recorded in 1080P and it was 33.5 MB while the reduced resolution version was 1.88 MB.

The camera was simple and easy to use and the amount of mounting hardware that was supplied was impressive. It makes the camera a versatile device that you can use many different ways and record your exciting moments so you can share them with your friends or just remember them yourself. It even comes with belt holster so you can just carry the camera to the beach or on a hike. Here are some of the sporting events that you could use this camera on:
* Skiing
* Ice skating
* Roller skating
* Rock climbing
* Street luge
* Scuba diving to limited depths
* Snorkeling
* Wind surfing
* At the beach just swimming
* Surfing

This is a very good camera and I was impressed with its features and capability. Please take the time to look at the video and if you have any questions I would be happy to try to possibly answer them for you. Have you ever said to your friends, I wish you could have seen how cool that was! Now you can show them on video! I rated this camera as a 5 star item.

I was supplied a sample of the product for test and review and I promised to provide a fair and honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars GoPro alternative ?, 1 Nov. 2013
I wanted a HD action camera and a GoPro Hero was the first choice but the price is a bit steep for what I was wanting to pay so I googled around for alternatives and this is what came tops. I checked the results on You Tube and was impressed with the quality. The only downside for some people may be the attachment devices which are not as numerous and flexible as the GoPro, I only wanted to make onboard footage from my motorbike so the suction mount kit was perfect for my requirements. There are other indepth reviews on the camera here which I will not repeat the details of here but suffice to say that the actual quality of the output is most satisfactory.