4.0 out of 5 stars very nice camera
the important for me is to taking photos and video with just one button, no need to go to the settings to change mode, 1080p is perfect, easy to use, very good photos.
Published 18 months ago by Aris Zenonos

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, Didn't Meet My Expectations!
1 - the correct time and date won't stay on the camera.
2 - the camera doesn't always record when you turn it on. Very frustrating! NB despite vibrating as in the instruction.
3 - needs reset button every time it is connected to a Mac
4 - I don't rate the mounts for use with a motorbike.
5 - Doesn't auto rotate as it's supposed to...
Published 13 months ago by GH Derbyshire

4.0 out of 5 stars very nice camera, 20 Jan 2013
This review is from: Polaroid XS100 Extreme Edition HD 1080p 16MP Waterproof Sports Action Camera (Camera)
That i don't like is the battery. It is very good battery (2-2,5 hours), better than others cameras but the problem is that, it's inside the camera and you cant change it, so if you run out of battery your trip ends. You can't have extra battery to change it and there is not other way (battery pack) but to put the camera for charging

4.0 out of 5 stars Good camera, 23 April 2014
I bought this as wanted a decent camera to mount in my car - couldn't really justify the cost of a go-pro and after comparing videos on YouTube, the picture quality seemed comparable. I purchased a 32gb micro SD, which simply slots into the camera. The instructions I received were actually quite comprehensive - you will need to read them to understand both the software and TV menu, but I'll give you a summary of how to set-up.

Firstly, you need to format the SD card by connecting the camera via the supplied HDMI cable to your TV. Insert the cable, the SD card and then turn the camera on. This will load the menu, which isn't the most user friendly menu you'll ever see, but if you read the instructions you'll be fine. Using the power button (by clicking once or twice to move and select), move to the format section and the SD card will be formatted. Unplug the HDMI, turn the camera off and then plug the supplied USB cable into your computer and then turn the camera back on. This will access the software menu and files on the SD card. In the software menu, you can choose image quality (Full HD or FHD), as well as the camera settings. It's important to note that to access either the TV or software menu, you need to plug the cable in and then turn the camera on - mine would not detect either if the camera was already on.

The XS100 in video mode records two separate files - one in the higher quality setting and another in low quality setting. Some reviews stated that the audio was only available on the lower quality setting, but this isn't the case. The higher quality video setting has no audio when played through Windows Media Player, but when I changed to Quicktime I had both Full HD image and audio together. The picture quality is very impressive, but the audio is not the best. I mounted this on the rear window in my car and whilst there was audio, there was an annoying crackling noise under acceleration. This could be the suction cup wasn't fully attached, a sponge was needed between the camera and mount or that it's just poor audio. I need to play about a bit more to really figure this out, but if you're after sharp audio quality I don't think you'll be impressed with this.

A number of reviews have also highlighted that the camera just doesn't work (switching itself on/off or just not operating at all). So far, I've encountered no such issues and seems fine. You can either turn the camera on using the power switch, which puts the camera into standby - you can then take pictures (by pressing the power button, which will vibrate slightly upon capturing), or move the recording switch from off to on to capture video. Another option to capture video when the camera is off is to simply move the recording switch from off to on, which will then power the camera on and begin recording video.

I've now moved a number of video files into a folder I use for my XBMC media player and the image quality really is good for a camera at this price point. In summary, if you are going to use an action camera frequently and really are after excellent audio/image quality then you need to fork out for a go pro black. I see little to no difference between this and the lower go pro models bar the audio, which whilst not great is still acceptable. For the camera, 32gb micro SD and a suction mount at under 150 (even the lower go pro would be nearly 300 with these included), this is a bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Little Camera, 18 Jan 2013
Harry Beasant (England) - See all my reviews
I had been looking for a good value 1080p action camera for a long time, and then I cam across this one.

First off, the camera was very nicely and neatly packaged, had everything that was advertised and no issues with packaging.

The manual for the camera was easy to read and had all the required information in multiple languages, There were no issues with the documentation, so I am not sure what the other 1 star review was on about.

I had purchased a 32GB Micro SD card for this and it was definitely necessary, the camera records very clear and crisp footage, but takes up a lot of disk space, around 100Mb/1min, so you will need large storage, however, this is normal.

The camera is very light and ergonomic, it has many fittings and mounts so that you can either have the camera on the top/side of your head or on handle bars/ski poles. This proves to be a very handy thing, as with other action cameras, I noticed you had to buy them as extra, some being 30+. So very good extra!.

Overall, the action camera has proven to survive falls on ski ramps and has not been effected at all. Definitely recommend this camera to anyone wanting to record an action sport!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great full HD (1080p) /HD (720p) recording, 9 Mar 2013
I bought this being a little bit cautious not knowing what to expect considering everybody else is buying GoPro, Contour or Drift cameras. However after I received the product and played with it for a few days I am convinced I made a great choice.

Make sure you buy a good class 10 Micro SD card and 32GB. 20min of 720p video is about 1GB. Double if you want 60fps or 1080p.

This is less then half the price of the established brands and does the job better in some respects. Video quality brilliant and you have the slide record button you can use with your gloves on and also it vibrates for confirmation when switching on/off, start recording, etc.

Search 'yamaha polaroid xs100' on youtube to see 720p video quality (the video is about 6min long).

Hope this will help someone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic camera for windsurfing!, 17 Mar 2014
I recently bought this for windsurfing and it is fantastic with excellent video quality and is able to withstand some severe crashes. I found it best to disable the auto rotate and mount the camera in the right position for the shot you want. Water clears from the lens amazingly well and the battery seems to last for ever. The free mounting kit included with the package works great for mast/boom/headcam use.

Setting up the camera was a doddle and file transfers are easy with the supplied SD card adapter.

The only draw back I have found so far is that it auto shuts down after 35' 40'' (3.844 Gb) so I am hoping someone from Polaroid can tell me how to disable this or it may just be there is a maximum file size. It's not a big problem once you know as you just switch it off and start again at 35 minutes.

I would highly recommend this camera to anyone who wants to record a good day of blasting in the wind and now my wife can see and understand why I spend so much of my time doing it. This could save your marriage!

A lot cheaper and less bulky than a GoPro and no need for the waterproof case which is a real bonus.

5.0 out of 5 stars GoPro alternative ?, 1 Nov 2013
I wanted a HD action camera and a GoPro Hero was the first choice but the price is a bit steep for what I was wanting to pay so I googled around for alternatives and this is what came tops. I checked the results on You Tube and was impressed with the quality. The only downside for some people may be the attachment devices which are not as numerous and flexible as the GoPro, I only wanted to make onboard footage from my motorbike so the suction mount kit was perfect for my requirements. There are other indepth reviews on the camera here which I will not repeat the details of here but suffice to say that the actual quality of the output is most satisfactory.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the money, 27 Sep 2013
K. Nicholl "Mr. Meticulous" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Great wee camera - remember it's waterproof so the sound is pretty poor (thats the trade off for waterproof, all waterproof cameras have poor sound). Low light performance is very good. Had a few problems with recording (shortened recordings, failures etc) until I formatted the SD card via the TV interface which seems to be the most reliable (just plug it into your HD TV with the supplied HDMI cable). Futzing around with the SD card via PC is not going to give good results - format once via TV then you're fine.(you can copy & delete the recordings via your PC but don't wipe the whole card or you'll need to reformat again). The automatic orientation can be a pain if you don't expect it - be sure to disable it if you don't want it. Pretty decent quality pictures, in good light it's on a par with Contour or GoPro and I think it's got excetional lowlight performance. For the money I think this is unbeatable.

4.0 out of 5 stars The almost perfect action camera in this price range, 17 July 2013
Paulo Abreu - See all my reviews
In one sentence: you can't get anything better for this price! (120)

I bought this specially for motorcycle riding, and as an extra to swim in the ocean. It fulfills these objectives perfectly!

It is very easy to operate, the vibration is a good feedback when it is mounted on the helmet or while on the beach. It is waterproof, no problem in jumping in the waves with it. Remember to wash it in the basin afterwards, the salt may make it malfunction.

The sound is ok, there is some attenuation which is great when you get going on the bike (cuts off the wind). Night sensitivity is also ok.

I am convinced that the image quality is even better then the GoPro 3 White.

So I am quite satisfied with the product and would buy it again.

The reason it is 4 stars instead of 5:
* The connection is mini-usb instead of micro-usb. I think the last electronic device I bought with micro was about 3 years ago. I don't need another extra cable to carry around :(
* You can't turn the vibration off. Although I find it very useful, I would like to turn it off it I am taking timed photos (say every 5 secs) with the camera on my helmet. Having the helmet vibrate every 5 secs is too annoying.

5.0 out of 5 stars A versatile sports camera to record all of your high action sports to share with your friends or on YouTube!, 8 April 2013
jjceo (Greenwood, Indiana) - See all my reviews
Length:: 9:56 Mins

This is a great sports camera that takes photos and videos with sound of your high action sporting events. It comes with a massive amount of accessory hardware for mounting the camera on your bike, motorcycle, skate board, helmet and many other locations. I have put together a video showing the features and the hardware of the camera. At one point it was 15 minutes long and I had to reduce it to 10 minutes (still long) and I had to delete a lot of video regarding the mounting hardware and how to assemble it.

The unit comes with a user manual but it is very brief. You can go to the Polaroid (Polaroidaction) web site and download a larger manual and I suggest that you do this. In addition you can download software at the same website for Windows or Mac to allow you to interface with the camera's firmware and set up the photography, video recording and TV playing features. You can also set the date and time in the camera. Just a note that the software I downloaded for a Windows computer did not operate and I found out that when you install a Micro SD memory card into the camera the firmware burns a copy of interface software onto the SD card. When you connect the camera to your computer you can click on that interface software and it will allow you to change the internal settings of the camera to fit your needs. That software worked perfectly.

The photos and videos taken by the camera are really quite good. The photos do have a sort of fisheye effect on objects that are very close to the lens due to the 170 degree filming angle but they are still good resolution photos. The video was excellent and high quality. The sound was a bit muffled but you have to remember that the camera is submersible to 30 feet in water so it is natural to have a more muted sound recording due to the protection of the microphone from the water. I could only hear the audio portion of the video recording by playing the video using Quicktime software. I won't repeat the photography and video specifications as they are all listed in the specs on Amazon but it is a long list of features that you can set up.

You will have to insert a Micro SD Memory card to record your photos and videos on. I would recommend a 32 GIG card, Class 6 speed or higher, to allow you adequate recording space and speed. You should format the card before use using FAT32 format. You also have to charge the camera for about 3 hours using an external USB charging adapter before you use it. You can also charge it with your computer USB port but it will take longer as the USB 2.0 port only provides 500 mA of current for charging. One charge allows you to use the camera for about 2.5 hours.

The camera is water proof to 30 feet of water so it is good for water sports as well as action sports. I like that the control buttons are simple to use and they have highly unique shapes and surfaces so you can learn to control the camera by your sense of touch. The camera also vibrates so you can feel the vibration when you have activated a feature. The camera is also shock proof and it mounts in many different ways. It even comes with a thin safety string that acts as a backup to your camera mounting just in case you don't mount the camera properly and it comes loose. This prevents you from possibly losing the camera or damaging it.

While you are recording video the camera records two files for your future use. One is the file recorded in the definition that you have set up and the second is a smaller lower definition version that you can easily post onto YouTube for example. In my tests an 18 second video was recorded in 1080P and it was 33.5 MB while the reduced resolution version was 1.88 MB.

The camera was simple and easy to use and the amount of mounting hardware that was supplied was impressive. It makes the camera a versatile device that you can use many different ways and record your exciting moments so you can share them with your friends or just remember them yourself. It even comes with belt holster so you can just carry the camera to the beach or on a hike. Here are some of the sporting events that you could use this camera on:
* Skiing
* Ice skating
* Roller skating
* Rock climbing
* Street luge
* Scuba diving to limited depths
* Snorkeling
* Wind surfing
* At the beach just swimming
* Surfing

This is a very good camera and I was impressed with its features and capability. Please take the time to look at the video and if you have any questions I would be happy to try to possibly answer them for you. Have you ever said to your friends, I wish you could have seen how cool that was! Now you can show them on video! I rated this camera as a 5 star item.

I was supplied a sample of the product for test and review and I promised to provide a fair and honest review.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, Didn't Meet My Expectations!, 22 Jun 2013
1 - the correct time and date won't stay on the camera.
3 - needs reset button every time it is connected to a Mac
4 - I don't rate the mounts for use with a motorbike.
5 - Doesn't auto rotate as it's supposed to.

PERSONALLY I WOULD AVOID!

DOES ANYONE TEST ACTION CAMERAS BEFORE MANUFACTURING THEM!