4.0 out of 5 stars what a shame its come to an end!
I enjoyed this book although not as action packed as the others, you can tell its her closing book. Despite the debate about who she ends up with, I didn't mind the ending as it seemed to fit really.
Published 9 months ago by Sara Cookney

1.0 out of 5 stars Why...just why!!!
Oh the sinking disappointment as I read the final page! What the hell were you thinking! I agree with so many previous reviews, it was almost as if Harris just lost all interest in her characters & she had to bash out one more book as a contract filler, but even still she could have gone out with a bang...why make it so damn predictable! Almost from the beginning the...
Published 11 months ago by JSeal

‹ Previous | 1 2 367 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Careless end to a decent series, 11 May 2013
This review is from: Dead Ever After: A True Blood Novel (Sookie Stackhouse) (Kindle Edition)
Utterly annoying, to discover at the end of a long book series, that the author has not taken good care of the characters. There are quite a few options. And no, I'm not angry that Sookie and Eric do not get together. But instead of ending the whole thing on a high there is ... this? A wet towel of a finale? *blows a raspberry*

Even if you're a proper fan of the series, there is no need to read this book. More's the pity.

1.0 out of 5 stars disapointing, 12 May 2013
I've never really felt compelled to write a review of a book before, believing everyone should form their own opinion but I'm so disappointed with this book I had to say something. It was as if I was reading a book that had no bearing on the previous stories in the series. The characters did not behave true to form, their interaction was all wrong. As I couldn't believe the way the story was panning out I kept expecting a big twist at the end which didn't come. I won't even get started on what a let down the ending was. I have thoroughly enjoyed the previous books in this series, eagerly anticipating each new one but this last book has tainted the whole series. I would have to seriously question whether I would read anything else by this author.

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm quite devastated.. :'(, 12 May 2013
Many have summed it up quite eloquently before me. But I felt I needed to leave my little review. Years and years of falling in love with characters. At least 170 spent. Hours of my life. I've laughed so hard I've almost peed. I've cried so hard I felt my heart was breaking. I LOVE these people. I feel for them. They have become a huge part in my life. My whole family knows about these books and count down the days with me and then say bye bye whilst Mummy retreats into her bubble for a day or two.. So here it is - the last in the series. So much dread and anticipation. Dread as in that familiar feeling at the end of a series of books you have come to love - what am I going to do with my life once this is over?! ;) Anticipation because we will finally finally know what happens!!

Well that was the biggest let down of my life. It's like she got her husband to quickly finish off the series for her. Did the person who wrote this actually know the characters? I know some are die hard Eric fans.. I know Ms. Harris could say this has been coming all along. I know there have been references to this happening. We have been warned that in the end he would choose power over love. I can understand the decision he made and I think Ok that was believable. But the fact that we seem to have a totally different person in Eric.. Absolutely pathetic!! He did love Sookie. He would not just switch off his emotions like that!! There would be scenes where they had it out, there shouted, they had amazing break up sex.. It would be epic.. But there wasn't even a goodbye. Hmmmmm! What about Bill!?!? He's been waiting years for a bit of action but nope she just went over to Sams in her bikini and had boring bed sex. Wow. Sizzling!

That is not to mention the epic fail of the storyline itself. All the baddies get together and kidnap Sookie. Wow. Devil? Genius. Boring boring boring and unnecessary. The last book should have been about the love life of Sookie. There was absolutely no need to waste 3/4 of the last book having another who dun it mystery in there. Ugh!!!!!!!

Not to mention the whole Jason / Michelle / Terry / Tara all married and living happily ever after thing.

BORING!!

I think in a few years she will REALLY regret what she did and the least she can do is re-write it and publish it on her website for free!

I think there should be a disclaimer to anyone starting to read book one. "Please note although the first 9 books are amazing the series goes rotten and ends terribly. You WILL be disappointed".

2.0 out of 5 stars Left dissapointed after many years :(, 8 May 2013
I love these books so so much but have been more and more disappointed with the last few. I have given this book 2 stars because I do think CH does well to wrap up loose ends and explain some oddities however the romantic side of the novel has left me feeling very unhappy!

While it was predictable since the beginning who Sookie would live out her days with I found that after building a relationship up over 8 or so books to shoot it down dead and replace her relationship with a new one in the last 20% of the final book a real let down. The writer intended that during those many previous books their evolving relationship would capture us and draw us in which it most definitely did. This is why I feel disappointed with the frankly rubbish way it was binned off and replaced with someone who despite the consistency it seems hard to believe would evoke such a reaction from our heroine in the space of a few days.

Am feeling very frustrated by this book today!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful!, 13 May 2013
I've just finished this book and I feel so deflated and depressed. Charlaine Harris obviously had no interest in finishing off this series but she should at least have tried for the sake of her fans who have followed Sookie for years!

*Spoiler*

I'm devastated by how the main and favourite characters were portrayed, especially Eric. He only has about 2 lines in the entire book and there is no emotion in the break up! In fact, there's hardly any emotion in the book at all. It's flat and it's boring and most characters don't act like themselves. It got to the point where I couldn't care less who died and who didn't, even Eric. Infact, I would have prefered it if he was Dead Ever After if he had stayed the same engaging, funny and strong character and went out in a blaze of glory.

Sam and Sookie getting together was pretty much inevitable and while that isn't the choice I wanted her to make but I could have lived with it if Sookie and Eric had came to some kind of emotional climax but neither of them seem to care they've broken up! Even the sex scene between Sam and Sookie is awful, flat and cringeworthy.

Don't even get me started on the bad guys. Pathetic.

Plus, HARDLY ANYTHING HAPPENS!

My advice would be not to read this book and just make up your own ending as you see fit. Gutted.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 12 Mar 2014
A bit of a disappointment for the last book seemed to go out in a bit of a fizzle no where near as good as the earlier books

2.0 out of 5 stars Lazy last novel!!, 19 Nov 2013
I'm a great believer that a book is always better than the film/TV series made from it! So a couple of years back a good friend of mine introduced me to True Blood. Loved it! Big time. I decided to read the books. I have really enjoyed them, they are different to the series so I didn't feel like it was all too repetitive! So far so good! Until this book! Uggghhhhh! So very disappointed.

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!

The whole book was just silly, like someone else said, bringing back old characters which had tried to kill Sookie, I mean what was even the point of Copley??? Steve Newlin? Just all of them!! Then as someone else has mentioned in their 1 star review, no sexual chemistry EVER between her and the one she eventually settles down with!! Then all of a sudden it's like "yeah, you'll do"

And mainly. ERIC????? I mean, we don't even get a goodbye, no lingering looks, no break downs, no devastation, no final words of wisdom. NOTHING!!!!!!!!!! We get nothing????? After 12 books, we end up with nothing?! I just couldn't comprehend it. I didn't even cry myself, it was all so emotionless! I've read books before by unknown authors that have made me sob at the end with happiness/sadness! This left me, well, sorry Ms Harris, dead ever after left me dead ever after.

I feel like starting a petition to make her re write the whole thing!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Dead, certainly is now., 21 Sep 2013
I have been an avid and enthusiastic reader of the whole Sookie Series, I mean who wouldn't be? The start of the book series brought us an original idea, a great cast of characters, and enough steamy scenes to make a dominatrix blush. Although I've found the book series pretty repetitive and predictable, I still enjoyed reading the books, as we all know life can be a little like that. That's where I thought Charlaine was going with the series, make the characters tick over nicely, and then BAM! End the series with a huge climax!

I think its pretty safe to say I was disappointed with it. I couldn't wait to get to the end, and not in a good way. I was bored with reading about Sookie's garden, her tomatoes and pretty lettuce. If she wasn't talking about that, she was dribbling on about housework. I felt the start of the book dragged, and then suddenly all the action was rushed and shoved into the last thirty pages. However, unlike other readers I thought the relationship between Sam and Sookie was justified, and I totally understood why Harris ended the series with that development in their relationship. I just really hoped the last book would reveal something amazing, either about Sookie or the whole plot in general. I felt like we didn't really say goodbye to Bill, Eric, Quinn or Alcide. It was kind of like they were forgotten about and as a reader you have a certain relationship with them too.

At the end of the book I felt a little cheated. I mean thirteen books for an ending like that! I wanted to throw my kindle out the window, but then realised I still have my wonderful Game of Thrones to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars what a shame its come to an end!, 20 July 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fitting Ending, 4 July 2013
SPOILER ALERT!!!!

This final outing for Sookie Stackhouse has received a high number of negative reviews, mainly from Eric fans, however whilst it is by no means perfect, I still thoroughly enjoyed it. Here's why: Charlaine Harris has spent 13 novels creating a character who never wished to be a vampire, never wished to be immortal, would have loved to have been normal, but found peace with herself that she was not. She wanted friends, and acceptance and a family. That was never going to happen with Eric or any vampire. The author always portrayed the vampires as ruthless and 'other'. They were an entirely different species. For me personally, the ending would have felt like a let down if Sookie had ended up with Eric or Bill, because how could her character ever be happy with that? Dead Ever After gave Sookie a happy ending. I felt as though she would end up with Sam very early on in the series and have enjoyed watching their relationship grow.
There are some criticisms I have, as I said before, this book isn't perfect. The parade of past characters is odd to say the least, and the Claude plot is, to use Sookie's own word 'convoluted'. Plus, ultimately these were vampire novels, therefore I would have liked to have seen more of the vampires feature in Dead Ever After. Eric was a great character - he should have had a better last hurrah. Sure, I didn't want to see him and Sookie end up together, but I sure liked him as a character and would have liked him involved in more ruthless, daring plotlines, then simply sloping off to Oklahoma. (Also what was the point of Karin???)
Overall I am happy with the ending Sookie received, and I shall miss these books and these characters.

‹ Previous | 1 2 367 | Next ›