4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable ending!
I quite enjoyed the predictability of the book but there are a few surprises...I have to say I am a little sad about Eric just disappearing and having little input but understand as to why!
Good ending and will miss my vamp fix from Bon Temps!
X
Published 6 months ago by jojomozz

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing end to the series
'I had a fleeting second of incredulity that there'd ever been a time I hadn't known the extent of the supernatural world. And here I sat in Lucky Bar-B-Q with two witches, two part-demons, a telepath, and a weretiger.'

---My Thoughts---

Published 10 months ago by Rebecca

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing end to the series, 11 Sep 2013

---My Thoughts---

Since I bought the first Sookie Stackhouse book on a whim, I've been hooked on the series. I read the first few within a few months, and got really impatient waiting for the next one's to be delivered. I've always loved Sookie's character and was always worried for her when more and more danger was thrown her way throughout the series. I've followed Sookie through several relationships and attempts on her life and have always find myself wanting more.

It's my understanding that thirteen books were always planned for this series. I have to say, as much as I love the series as a whole, the last few books started to lose the magic for me. There's only so much that can happen during a series, so at times the last few books felt more like a story was being dragged out and I didn't enjoy them as much.

The way this book is written is different to the other books in the series. The story is told from different points of view; mostly from Sookie's point of view, but also from that of the people out to get Sookie. At the start, you have no idea who the people are, since all that you're given is a vague description. As the story progresses a few familiar names emerge, and this was a nice twist since I thought Sookie had seen the last of them. Some of the names are kept a secret until the end, and I really enjoyed the twist of who was behind it all. I liked how this was done, it kept me guessing who the people were, as they were people that I'd met in previous books. All is revealed towards the end, and the different narratives tie together nicely.

A big part of the Sookie Stackhouse series is the Romance. Sookie has had a few different boyfriends during the series, and I'm sure everybody enjoyed this aspect of the story, especially Sookie's relationship with Eric. I'm sad to say that there wasn't really a lot of Romance going on in this book. There is a lot going on in Sookie's life, so I suppose she's too busy for a relationship, but this could be what was missing from this book for me.

I did enjoy the story, but compared to the previous books in the series, particularly the first few, this book was disappointing. It's never taken me more than a few days to read a Sookie Stackhouse book, and this one was no different. The only difference is that I read this quickly because it was an easy read and uncomplicated page turner, and the previous books really gripped me and left me wanting more. I've seen a lot of reviews for this, and most of them are similar to my rating. I've also seen a lot of people that weren't happy with the way the series ended, and I have to agree to some extent. The ending seemed quite abrupt to me, stopping in a strange place. I was happy with Sookie's choice of men at the end of the book though, since she ended up with who I always wanted her to be with, but I'll leave it at that.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rushed & disappointing, 9 May 2013
I have been a fan of the books long before the TV series, and along with other readers have also felt the last couple of books weren't living up to expectation. I was hopeful though, that as the last book, it would end with a bang - a gritty, gripping page turner but sadly have been let down.

The plot felt rushed & erratic. It seemed watery at best & took second stage to the characters - allowing some that have been long gone (with story lines at the time that wrapped up their own parts in the series) to return with cameo appearences. It was clear that the book was heading in a certain direction from the start. While many would be happy at the return of many of the faces, it felt like a poor ending to a mediocre TV series with cameo's of famous characters rather than a compelling emotion ridden book.

Characters that we have been led to love have been left out almost entirely for reasons that do seem to not fit in with their previous nature.

Harris has stated that she has known the ending since almost the beginning, but if true then the series has been planned poorly. We readers have been swept up in the romance of Sookie/Eric & even her pasts relationships (Quinn/Bill/Alcide) would have held more credibility than the one that have been given. It does unfortunately seem that Harris has become very bored of the Sookie series & rather than be inventive with her plot & ending. She has not stood true to the characters that she has written & created, nor has she moved with the direction her series had taken, and when the ending which she anticipated so long ago no longer fit - she forced it upon us anyway.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dead ever after, 8 May 2013
This review is from: Dead Ever After: A True Blood Novel (Sookie Stackhouse Book 13) (Kindle Edition)
Quite disappointed, the book could have been so much better.I know people were upset about the ending, but I was more upset about the actual storyline.it was very weak and felt "jerky". I'm not jumping on the bandwagon about the ending,I'm just disappointed with the whole thing.

1.0 out of 5 stars An awful ending to Sookie's story, 12 May 2013
**Review contains spoilers**

Not sure where to start, except to say in over 30 years of reading I have never felt the need to warn other potential buyers just how completely horrible a book is. After 12 books of adventures with vampires, they are most notable by their limited page time in this terrible tale. Sookie is unlikable and most of the time, acts like she doesn't care about anything any more (maybe that is a mirror to how Charlaine Harris feels about this world she once lovingly created - let's face it she only wrote the last 3 books to make money and capitalize on the success of the TV show).

My biggest gripe is how the writer chose to end the character arc of Eric Northman. A character that for some inexplicable reason Ms Harris has decided she hates (but could have, if given the correct ending, become one of the greatest vampires of modern literature). She used him to sell 12 books and then shafted him and his fans, fans who have invested a lot of time and money in these books, and have become emotionally invested in his relationship with our heroine.Now Ms Harris is moaning about the back-lash from Eric fans. Really? Did she not see it coming? (I've seen interviews where she talked about the number of fans who want their books signing to Mrs Eric Northman) and now Ms Harris is surprised by the back-lash? I get it that he may not have been Ms Harris' original HEA, and she knew who that was going to be all along, so why did she use Eric so unscrupulously to sell truck loads of books? Why not the Southern Shifter Mysteries? Why did she even bother to write "Dead to the world" if apparently she already knew who the HEA was 2 books before that?

I absolutely believe that all the disgruntled fans have every reason to be angry and upset as we have all been completely used and played by a writer who has no empathy for her readers at all. She did not have to turn Eric's character as badly as she did or give him such an undignified ending (Just look at Bill - the ex-rapist who gets to stay and live next door).

I urge anyone who becomes emotionally involved with characters and relationships (and let's face it that is what good books are all about) not to buy anything Charlaine Harris writes in the future as there is a strong likelihood she will stomp all over everything you hold dear with character assassinations and inconsistent and lazy plotting. (Claude again? Really?) (Sookie's problem with reading Sam's thoughts suddenly not a problem after all? Really?).

"Dead Ever After"is a truly awful book.

1.0 out of 5 stars What A Disappointment, 14 May 2013
Such an epic disappointment. Not that I expected much after the last couple of books, but I thought CH might bring out the big guns for the final book. Looks like she dragged out a water pistol.

*****SPOILER ALERT******

Yes, I'm an Eric fan and I would have liked to see them somehow have their HEA...But...I am reasonable enough to realise that that probably wasn't going to happen. First, let me say that I've read hundreds of these reviews. I truly wanted to see if the way I was feeling was just me or the general feeling amongst the fan base. What I've found and what really annoys me is the presumption by some of the 5 star fans (and they've actually mentioned it) that we're all bitching about Eric. NO, we're not. Again and again (ex)fans are saying the same thing...the gist of which is that while it's disappointing that Sookie didn't end up with Eric, we could have accepted it if there had been ANY logical build up to Sam. We're saying that the book was sloppily thrown together; that CH had an ending in mind at around book 2 and so-help-her she was ending it that way even if the story and characters had really found a voice of their own and diverged from that ending...she was going to finagle, forget continuity, change lore, anything to get her ending; that the premise/mystery was poorly thought out and that CH threw anyone that had ever been in the books into the mix to act as filler with no real need for them to be there (especially as she's supposedly letting us know all that in the coda out in October).

I'm incredibly disappointed that there was no real, mature and emotional "ending" for Eric and Sookie. OK, so they couldn't be together...so let them have a mature discussion and have them realise that, say their goodbyes, voice their regrets...goddamn it...just a bloody hug would have been nice....but noooo, we have an emotionally immature reaction from Sookie (and a totally out of character threatening, sulky attitude from Eric) and a slamming door. Real mature *snort*. Oh yes, I can certainly see how Sookie has matured through the series, NOT! And no, I'm not saying Eric doesn't have his faults, and realistically Sookie probably needed a "man" who could live with her in the sun, father children etc, but I'd rather have seen her alone than settling for Sam. Because settle she did. Nice safe, boring Sam.

CH has made no bones about the fact that she's never understood the fans love of Eric. What I can't understand is that she created and wrote him as a heroic, but flawed, bad-boy character, with dazzling good looks, a ready smirk and grin, a sense of humour, a real presence, and a habit of taking bullets for Sookie. Yes, he hid things from Sookie but at least he always told her the truth. And lets not forget the "gracious plenty" and what he could do with it. What did she expect us to do? What's not to like? Sookie fell in love with him, why wouldn't we?

After the promise of the first 8/9 books, the progress Sookie made in accepting herself and making an effort to grow and learn, it was sad to see such a promising heroine close herself off to possibilities. To slide back into her mundane little existence and her mundane little job; to a relationship with someone who never gave her the credit due her intelligence, treated her like a child and generally took her a bit for granted. But in saying that, I never really liked Sookie all that much anyway. I never saw what ever Eric, Alcide, Quinn and Bill did. I found her childish, self-centred, whiney, ungrateful, self-righteous, hypocritical and sanctimonious. I could go on...and on. And I have to wonder about CH's ideas on rape. How could she have Sookie forgive, be friendly with and even kiss her rapist????? Bit of a slap in the face for victims everywhere. Just saying!

I only continued reading the series because of the developing relationship with Eric. He's the one who enticed me to keep reading the series. He's probably the greatest character she'll ever create and she destroyed him (and in my mind Sookie as well). So a big boo to Ms Harris for her treatment of him in the last book and for the piss-poor writing effort that she obviously didn't care about after book 8 or so. Never picking up another book of hers again. Wouldn't risk having another series of hers end in the same disappointment. Find your HEA in fanfic. There's some fantastic, well written stories out there.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead Ever After, 10 May 2013
This book was a huge disappointment. I was a huge fan of SSN and felt really let down by what was done in the last book. Here is my feedback to the author:

Dear Ms. Harris,

First to say that I have never written a feedback to the author before but after reading SSN for years I felt that I had to share my thoughts with you and the rest of the readers. I apologize in advance if my writing is all over the place as English is my second language and I have to say that many posters explained very eloquently elsewhere their feelings after the final book - be it positive or negative. I will do my best. Also I wanted to say that I am sad to hear that you had personal and serious threats by some psychos - that must be terrible but thank God that these people are just a very tiny, tiny minority of sad cases. I will not talk about your style of writing, how you wrote this or that, errors, etc....I am not a writer and it's not my place to analyse - leave that to the professional reviewers. But what I will write about is what comes from my heart and what I felt as a devoted reader of this book series, so here it goes...*** SPOILERS***I am just so sad and gutted after I read it and I can safely say I have never been more disappointed in a book in my life so far. Before I go on I just want to stress that my huge disappoitment is not about HEA, or Sam, Sookie's choice to live her life in the sun, have kids and normal life - well I must confess I wanted something else at the end - fireworks of true love winning over any obstical , trip to some fantasy land where everything is possible, This is why I got into these kind of books after all (I used to be big into classics but not sure how I ended up in fantasy/paranormal stuff)- but as many said - it's your story and characters and I respect your decision in terms of Sookie's HEA -whatever that means...
I have been of course disappointed in many books...many times things happened in the end that I didn't like, my favorite couple didn't work out, characters died tragically - oh how much my heart bled for Anna K my favorite heroine of all times...but I was always able to close to book down and say, well 'cest la vie'....so it's not that....
My disappointment lays in a sinking feeling that you wanted to hurt and punish - for reasons I cannot understand at all - a group of your readers (and may I say quite a large group) who grew to love Eric's character...Why do that? Why write him in such a way in the last book...I kept wondering who was that man on the pages of my book...and please don't tell me I read all along what I wanted to read...no way...I was wondering at some point what the heck I missed for some many years....I was almost beginning to question my own reading comprehensions skills...but then I figured I wasn't alone...many, many readers felt the same way...so something was off and just not right...it must be that the writer did something totally different this time.....I can think of 10 different ways that E/S could have parted forever without destroying everything they had... even a simple 'I wish you the best Sookie Stackhouse' would be enough for me....but it seems you wanted to crash his character so hard that Sookie cannot even think of him any more....and boy how she let go of him ..so so fast, without any reflection or heartbreak.....so now for any reader who for so many years enjoyed Eric or Eric and Sookie together, everything is totally pointless. I cannot ever read my favorite parts and enjoy them any longer - not after what you gave us at the end... And this is what hurts me the most as a reader..You knew how many hearts you would break and you went ahead with it - and again keep in mind I am not talking about Eric and Sookie staying together - not that at all.... it is total destruction of Eric ....I thought it was really unnecessary, unconvincing and unbelievable....just to give a concrete example - why have Pam make that point to Sookie that Eric didn't organize all that protection for sentimental reasons...am I supposed believe that about Eric a man (well vampire really) who truly loved Sookie and showed it throughout 12 books, whose core self we clearly saw in book4, who cried those bloody tears on her pillow feeling helpless at the thought she suffered in book 10 ...man who was always there, who brought out the best in her and loved her for who she was, who was so thoughtful, fun, sexy uber lover ....who GOT her (in Sookie's own words, think it was book 3)...who noticed she changed her nail polish :)
You keep saying you don't understand why people even like him...but this is what I don't understand...you wrote him that way for so long...you said that you wanted him to be appealing ...and my oh my - wasn't he just appealing ...and when TB got into the picture with Skars as Eric...oh dear...I can see why so many ladies lost their heads...but lets be honest he was far from a typical romantic hero - he had many flows and I saw them clearly - but this is why I loved him as well....one thing is sure...Eric Northman from book 1-12 was HONEST no matter what...so I am sorry but I cannot see how suddenly Eric planned to turn her against her will all along, how this 1000 old Viking cannot summon enough energy to fight for his independence he held so dear...never mind Sookie ....was he forced??? would he and sooke paid with their lives if he refused...don't know, you didn't write anything about that..and our dear heroine thinks he did indeed have a choice...so he chose what's best for him...why was this deal good for him personally is beyond me...he lost everything he held dear...and as far as I know Eric loved being a big fish in a small pond...or did I get that wrong as well??? ....Some power hungry and selfish Eric was not Eric I read about for so long...this guy appeared out of nowhere in the last book...at least that's how I interpreted from what I read...
I am not sure if any of this will make sense ..but I hope it does bring across my point as to why I found this last book so disappointing and in a way hurtful. I thank you Ms Harris for creating this world which I really enjoyed for so many years and I am really sad that I am parting with this series in such a way. I don't intend to read Code - not interested to hear about this new Eric who will most likely thrive in Oklahoma and Sookie with bunch of puppies, no thank you....and also no thank to any of your future books since I feel that you purposely hurt part of you fandom beyond repair.

1.0 out of 5 stars piss poor ending of a great series, 9 May 2013
Can't believe what a let down the final book was.
Was a huge fan of this series and couldnt wait for each new installment but save ur money it's not worth it !!
Its such a shame that Charlene Harris couldn't be bothered to end the last book of a series that made her who she is today as a writer.
the phrase " milking" comes to mind
So disappointed

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible ending to a once amazing series, 12 May 2013
This review contains spoilers
Let me start off by saying that I have NEVER a) felt so obliged to write a bad review or b) been so gutted with the ending of a book series (and I've unfortunately read Twilight).
Lets be honest, we all knew Sookie wouldn't end up with a vampire, regardless of who that vampire would have been as she never shuts up about how she loves the sun and tanning etc but Sam? Really? How many times has CH reiterated that Sookie felt no chemistry/no sexual feelings towards Sam? And now she expects us to believe that Sookie would just happily settle down with him because she couldn't HAVE Eric?
Which brings me to Eric. Yeah ok so they weren't going to live the rest of her natural life together and he wasn't going to turn her because she didn't want that, but what a lame cop out this book was. After loving each other 'so passionately' there was no fight, no effort, no anything on either of their parts. Sookie, who once risked her life to rescue Eric from an exploding building, didn't even shed a tear? Didn't even moan about it that much? Didn't even sulk? Ok then CH, sure, we believe that.
I have never been a Bill fan but I will say this. For his character to have fizzled out as quickly as he blew in was an insult, but for CH to just palm us off with a half sentence explanation of he might possibly have a relationship with Karin but who really gives a crap, is just plain old ridiculous. I didn't like him but come on, he should have been given a bit more of an end.
And just a future tip CH, bringing back various characters from past books and making them ALL want to kill Sookie at once is not going to make us ignore the fact that you clearly didn't give a damn about this last book, you wrote it to see out the end of your contract and make a bit of money. Its quite clear that you stopped caring about these books a while ago. I'm sure im not the only (ex)fan that is unhappy with this finale after seeing other reviews, and I will go as far as to say I would rather have seen Sookie killed off than end up with Sam. Its like she came full, crappy circle. Telepath waitress with boring life- telepath waitress with slightly more interesting life now that she has vampire boyfriend - telepath waitress breaks up with said boyfriend and a truck load of stuff happens - telepath waitress sleeps about a little bit - telepath waitress falls in love with different vampire - telepath waitress is forced to break up with vampire boyfriend and hardly seems to care - telepath waitress with boring life.
Oh and next time you write a vampire novel series, be sure that they have more than a combined 15 pages spent on them in the last book.
I never thought i would see the day where i thought the tv series/film is better than the books.
And just before i go, you got one star because i had to give something. This book shouldn't even get that.

Rushed and disappointing.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a good distraction!, 16 Jan 2014
Valentina Marangoni (Barcelona, Spain) - See all my reviews
I've read the complete True Blood Series not because the writing is amazing or because I consider it will be a "classic" but simply because it's easy to read, entertaining and just fun! It's a good distraction and after Reading 13 books you become attached to some of the characters (like Pam, love her!). Charlaine Harris ended the book just as I expected it - which doesn't mean that it’s how I actually wanted it to end - but I think that overall it wasn't at all bad.

1.0 out of 5 stars Would have rated "0" but it wasn't an option, 7 May 2013
I sincerely suggest no one buy this book unless they want to be severely disappointed in the ending, which makes no sense and in no way ends the series in any satisfactory or logical way.

A group of half-drunk psycho ghost-writers would have done a better job of ending what had become a well-loved series but will now remain proof that greed does not in any way equal talent.

I mean, seriously, why else would Eric have been forced to endure what amounts to 200 years of enforced slavery for absolutely no good reason whatsoever?

Save your money. Try out the Black Dagger Brotherhood instead.