Jam

3.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to the jampocalypse! A good second novel
Published 21 months ago by Shel

4.0 out of 5 stars The Apocalypse smells of Strawberry, 2 Dec 2012
This review is from: Jam (Paperback)
'Jam' reads like an hilarious cross between a zombie apocalypse story, The Blob and a slacker comedy. If you've ever read or watched any of Ben Croshaws internet material or his first novel 'Mogworld' you know what to expect. Black humour and an atmosphere of cynicism that hangs in the air like a toxic vapor. Fortunately it all works really really well (for the most part). This book is funny, has likable (or very deliberately annoying) characters, insane cults of bag wearing hipsters and obviously the whole 'death of the world by strawberry jam' thing. If you've ever enjoyed books like 'Red Dwarf' or 'The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy' then this will be right up your ally.

Unfortunately it isn't all perfect. I was ready to give this a full five stars right up until the very ending. The last few chapters manage to solve a couple of plot threads that didn't really need answering, but leave a few you would like to see closure on dangling. The pace also becomes a bit too frantic, the lead monster gets to re-appear with no good reason, and the tired old 'Eeeeeevil Americans' plot gets dragged out (some of the logic is also a little questionable). Its not nearly enough to ruin the book, but it leaves it a little bit flat.

Still this is a solid book, you'll have a blast reading it and it has a ton of funny moments and memorable characters. Hopefully Croshaws next book will be earn the full five stars this one was close to getting.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm Not Doing Another Bloody Jam Pun, 3 Feb 2013
This review is from: Jam (Paperback)
I have just finished Yahtzee Croshaw's book, Jam, and I can honestly say that it is one of the best books that I have read for a very long time, even amidst a lot of Terry Pratchett. I didn't eat jam at all during my time reading it. It is a survival-horror about a thick layer of jam that attacks the Australian city of Brisbane, and four every-man characters who have to deal with it, along with other problems that arise in their fellow survivors.

The pacing is just fantastic. Literally every time my dad told me to stop reading and go to bed, something massive had just happened in the story. The plot was easy to follow, but not simplistic and doddery, which are the kind of plot problems that are addressed in Croshaw's reviews, but incidentally, for people who are fans of Zero Punctuation, I would say that it is not as farcical as them, but it would be very difficult to transplant all of the review humour into this book, and it definitely wouldn't feel right either, as, realistically, the jam is still very dangerous. Don't worry though, there's still a generous helping of laughs.

One of the main reasons why me (and my dad) love this book so much is because of the ordinary-ness of the characters. The fact that they are not humongous action-hero-mary-sues is actually what makes them such a breath of fresh air in a genre otherwise dominated by them in every form of media. I felt great to know that there were main characters in a book who aren't really good at much, like me, but are still not dead. The systematic smashing of clichés was also warmly accepted (NO stupid, over-dominating romance sub-plot that makes the story stop every 5 seconds! Thank the lord!)

Lots of people say that the first-person narrator is flat, and I'm not saying that he isn't, but this is an intentional decision, as you can see from how the other characters talk to him. I personally really liked him, and the "flatness" helped me to sort of project myself onto him and engage myself even more with the story than if it been told from a third-person POV, or even from the perspective of a character with more depth. I feel sort of bad for making good out of a flat character, something which is frowned upon in literary circles, or whatever they're called, but these are exactly my opinions, and I think that it works really well.

I do agree with others that the ending needed a bit more oomph, and it would have been nice to see a little more character development in some characters, but those are really my only criticisms.

In conclusion, if you like dramatic characters, oozing with pages and pages of pained backstory and traumatic childhoods, then this is probably not for you, but if you prefer just getting on with a good story, are not intensely bothered about character depth, and like the sound of plenty of Charlie Brooker-esque satire to go along with it, then you should definitely pick up this book, as it certainly needs more recognition.

3.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to the jampocalypse! A good second novel, 23 Oct 2012
Shel (North East England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jam (Paperback)
Zero Punctuation's Yahtzee (I wonder if he's sick of being introduced with that association yet) returns to print form with a worthy follow up to [the now out of print ?!] Mogworld. This time around it's set in Brisbane, Australia during a apocalypse of jam. Without going too much into the plot (I wouldn't want to spoil a smudge of it) the story contains the expected spattering of the usual apocalyptic tropes, warring factions, ragtag group of survivors (one of which makes an appearance in Yahtzee's début book) all of which feature a spin you've come to expect from Mr Crowshaw which, to be honest, isn't always a good thing. I know it's a novel set during an "jampocalypse" but the mood wanders just a bit too much on the side of slapstick for my liking which stopped me caring too much about any of the characters that get devoured by the flesh hungry jam. Yes I know the premise is all a bit silly but none of the characters act anything close to normal people so it all feels a bit like reading a cartoon and not like the disaster parody that Yahtzee was probably aiming for here. That said it's a good read and offers plenty of laugh out loud moments, of which I'll end with my favourite:

"This is how I would die. Strangled by an attractive, semi-naked woman inside a fridge with a giant tarantula in the middle of the sea of carnivorous jam. As I blacked out, all I could think of was fortune-teller I'd spoken to a few years ago, and how full of s%*t she'd turned out to be."

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, witty and surprising. Highly recommended, 18 Nov 2013
This review is from: Jam (Kindle Edition)
Jam is most definitely one of the best books I've read in some time. It's humor is laugh out loud funny, such clever use of wit that makes it a delight to read.
I would compare Yahtzee's comedic sense to that of Douglas Adams' in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (but with jam instead of space and stuff).

I would recommend this for anyone looking for a light and witty read.

5 Stars

5.0 out of 5 stars fantasy, realism, and jam, 11 July 2014
This review is from: Jam (Kindle Edition)
amazingly realistic sounding idea of how civilisation would collapse in post apolalyptic circumstances! And yeah, lots and lots of jam!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but Mogworld is better, 11 July 2014
This review is from: Jam (Kindle Edition)
A good number of laughs in here, but it is not as captivating as his previous book. Still worth a read though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: Jam (Paperback)
Great book, a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars truely unique and madder than a box of frogs, 21 Jun 2014
This review is from: Jam (Paperback)
Too try and explain this book wouldeither be so short as to be pointless or too long as too ruin it.

Buy it and find out why it will blow your expectations

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 8 April 2014
This review is from: Jam (Paperback)
What a great story. Yahtzee has a fantastic unique way of writing that makes the experience even better. Interesting and funny from cover to cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE IT!!, 8 April 2014
This review is from: Jam (Kindle Edition)
Now, sorry if I sound a little biased here from the title but I have just finished the book and I must say I haven't enjoyed a book as much as this in a LONG time (not since I first read hitchhikers). Regardless of the Jammy concept the story and the characters are really well put together. I considered deducting a star for the, as I felt, rushed ending but after thinking about it regardless of that I really did enjoy the book immensely, the last 3rd of the book I ended up reading in 1 sitting and I NEVER do that unless I am COMPLETELY drawn into a good book that I am enjoying very much, so, the 5 stars still stand.

I've now read Mogworld and now Jam, i look forward to a 3rd book from the author who's prior works and status in the gaming world I am still completely oblivious to and quite honestly I don't care about, these books are fantastic.

If you're a fan of Hitchhikers in any way then read this NOW.

I can't recommend the book enough.

Jam