I bought this book as a bit of a gamble really, trying to broaden my horizons a little with what I read. Anyway, sat down and thought "yeah this is pretty good" so, come home from work the next night and think "I'll carry on with that book".... anyway about 4 hours later I've finished it and looking for the next in the series.

If you're like me,...
Published 2 months ago by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh, just me then.
I'm being pretty systematically disappointed by the kindle books I've bought written by self-published authors.

Published 8 months ago by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh, just me then., 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: Project Nemesis (A Kaiju Thriller) (Kindle Edition)

Project: Nemesis is not as badly written as some others. The prose is clean, and on the surface the action moves at a pretty fast rate. After the initial set up, though, it's a fairly unremitting dull and cycle of chase-shoot-capture-escape-chase-shoot.

There's a debt to Stephen King, with his crafty approach to collateral damage among minor characters. When the story's run in a rut for a while and needs a fresh kick, there'll be a scene change and a couple of new walk-on characters. Don't get attached. In a King novel, in half a dozen pages they'd be fed to a garbage disposal. Here it's to a Kaiju.

Project Nemesis is told in an obviously deliberate but awkward style. It kicks off in classic third person past tense, but when the main action starts switches to first person present. Then whenever we need an info-dump or a couple of sacrificial supporting characters, it skews back to third person. It's an uneven gear change between the chapters that look back on a done deal, and the main story in the right here and now, and a bit of a cheat. Not the deal-breaker, though.

Where Project Nemesis really trips up is in what seems to be the main pitfall of self-pub fiction.

I read a lot of comics, so I'm prepared to forgive shallow, samey characters if something else sweetens the deal. Bright drawings of impossible people in spandex punching each other always works for me.

Project Nemesis has nothing to distract from the sketchy characters. The hero is a shorts-wearing, beer-swilling skater-boy doofus, who is also a Homeland Security one man army. The villains are a real oh-no-not-again stereotype Japanese ninja, and a cartoon Army general gone to the bad. Most embarrassing is the hero's sidekick, a set of constant references to buttocks and breasts padding out a police uniform.

So what do you get if you mix a relentless present tense cycle of chase-shoot-capture-escape-chase-shoot, stick-figure characters, mild racism and sexism and settings like a secret underground lab and a forest full of turncoat soldiers?

It's a first person shooter.

If I was younger I might be prepared to forgive the shortcomings and enjoy this as an alternative to spending a couple of days at my games console. As it is, I picked this up on a low price deal after I heard the author doing some self-promotion on a writing podcast, so I don't feel completely robbed, just disappointed. It would take a lot to bring me back to try another. Sorry.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's about a giant monster... my money couldn't exit my wallet fast enough., 20 Aug 2014
This review is from: Project Nemesis (A Kaiju Thriller) (Kindle Edition)

If you're like me, handsome, a little bit silly and loves a good old monster smashing up Americans, then give this a read. It gets so engrossing and you never quite know where things are going with it!

3.0 out of 5 stars okay, 11 Feb 2014
This review is from: Project Nemesis (A Kaiju Thriller) (Kindle Edition)
I preferred the chess team novels, it was a good read but i never really got into it...slow at times

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fun must read, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: Project Nemesis (A Kaiju Thriller) (Kindle Edition)
I put off reading this book because I didn't think 'Kaiju' would be something I would be interested in - movies yes, books not so much. However, I couldn't put it down. I should know better than to doubt a book written by Jeremy Robinson, he has a wonderful ability to incorporate great monsters and great characters that you want to read about more. Nemesis is the queen of the monsters and I hope we see more from her and Jon Hudson.

If you like Godzilla then you should definitely pick this book up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: Project Nemesis (A Kaiju Thriller) (Kindle Edition)
Having loved godzilla and pacific rim but never read a book from this genre thought would give a try. Wow not dissapointed, great main character, really good read,would make an epic film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 22 Nov 2013
A. Senington (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Project Nemesis (A Kaiju Thriller) (Kindle Edition)
I was a little concerned when I saw how many five star reviews are on this product. I thought they must be fake. How can an indie book be THAT good. But it really was good. There wasn't any fluff or waffling in the book which I find that some other authors use to pad up the number of pages in a book. There was constant action from the first chapter. You didn't know what was going to happen next. Only flaw I saw was about the love story, it seemed too obvious. But it didn't protract from the meat of the book. The monster was an interesting concept and it isn't very often that an author manages to convey the horror of the aftermath without it sounding like an attempt at a Saw movie. Definitely worth the read, and I'll have to get the next installment soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly entertaining, 24 Sep 2013
This review is from: Project Nemesis (A Kaiju Thriller) (Kindle Edition)
What a fantastic slice of escapism. I have read several jeremy Robinson books, each one as far fetched as the next. But far fetched is not a bad thing, in fact it's what keeps the page's turning and I can't wait for the next installment of godzil.....Uh, I mean nemesis!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 13 Aug 2013
This review is from: Project Nemesis (A Kaiju Thriller) (Kindle Edition)
Put disbelief aside and just enjoy a page turning non stop adventure, couldn't put this book down.Read most of Jeremy Robinson's novels and always delivers if the like a genre like Matthew Reilly you will love this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 3 July 2013
This review is from: Project Nemesis (A Kaiju Thriller) (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book. It is told quite believably and with real warmth. The characters are believable and I really rooted for them.
The author is a real fan of monster films and this is an affectionate tribute to them. The book is enormous fun and I could not put it down. I was pleased because I tried to read one of his Antarctic hunter books and hated it.
It you like fast paced page turning fun then this is for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 29 Jun 2013
This review is from: Project Nemesis (A Kaiju Thriller) (Kindle Edition)
I am not a big reader, in fact the last book I read was many years ago while at school. After getting a Kindle to try and get into reading this was the first book I downloaded to read. Amazing! I could not put it down its a real page turner. Subsequently I have read many of Jeremy's other books and I am hooked :)

Project Nemesis (A Kaiju Thriller)