Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.21

on 10 December 2012
I enjoyed this book immensely ....probably because we did the same thing, by buying an old motorhome and setting off full of excitement. There are so many pifalls, and we fell in to them as well.
It's a great way to travel though'
I liked the style of writing and laughed out loud at some descriptive phrases used.

If there is any constructive feedback required, it would be that proof reading prior to printing would have helped me to make sense of some of the passages. Easy reading was halted several times before sense could be made of the script.
on 28 December 2012
This would have received a very well deserved 5* rating but for the dreadful punctuation, spelling and grammar. If you can ignore that, and I recommend you do, you will find a hilarious, interesting tale (NB author - not TAIL) about a couple in an unreliable camper van travelling Europe. I hope they go further afield and write more but please please get a good friend to read the draft first - or send it to me and I will edit it for you :)
on 28 November 2012
I have loved reading this very funny book, I felt like I was there with Marie in that camper van. I got to the last chapter, 'Home' and was so sad, I didn't want to go home! It was so well written, I look forward to reading the next book Brian, make it soon.
on 21 December 2012
A great read and loads of real life experiences that all campers will see in themselves. Some great laugh out loud bits and a fantastic example of living a dream, this won't put people off, it should encourage them as the friendships and experiences are real and genuinely warm.The only reason I can't give five stars is the lack of proof reading, bit disappointing, but overall an excellent read.
on 9 March 2013
I loved this ramshackle romp through mainly Eastern Europe. Being caravanners with an urge but not the wherewithal to travel the world, I could picture every moment of this trip with Brian, Marie and Gemima the Hymer. It gave great insight into countries that we might not wish to visit ourselves-Norway,snow in June- no thanks! And some experiences that made me slaver with jealousy and strengthen our resolve to do this ourselves one day. Some reviews have mentioned the spelling and grammar, I didn't really notice as I was enjoyed the book so much. The only regret is that we can't get a hard copy for Husband to read. He's not Kindled up yet and I'm surgically attached to mine. Mr Burke if you are reading this - will you produce a hard copy ?
on 12 December 2012
The most fun book to read in along time, always said yorkshire men have the best sense of humour a MUST read..
on 14 January 2013
Briefly; I grew to love this book and my admiration for the two intrepid explorers increased along with my incredulity at the audacity of their undertaking.
Without meaning to spoil the plot I can say that, as the book progressed, I was further and further surprised at just how far and wide their travels took them, this was a first forray into european touring.
Brian and Marie manage to give the reader a feeling of the places they visit and the drink drunk instead of the mere list of locations which other campervan books seem to degenerate into.
To all the timid, twitching CC members out there fretting about continental travel; driving on the wrong side of the road, not staying on a proper campsite, being gassed and robbed in their sleep... Just go and do it!
At the time of reading this also acted as a kind of self-help book since we were involved in a particularly expensive repair to our campervan. The philosophcal approach taken by the Burkes towards the various mechanical misshaps they suffered really put into perspective the feeling of utter doom which overwhelms me at the slightest sign of vehicle failure.
on 7 December 2012
I so ENJOYED this book and would have given 5 stars if only someone had corrected all the mistakes, mainly punctuation which sometimes made it hard to get the meaning. Otherwise a thoroughly good read. Highly recommended.
on 21 December 2012
Just don't let my husband read this, or we'll never get to France, - or probably anywhere else for that matter!! Got told off for laughing out loud several times, and interrupting HIS Kindle reading; I just couldn't help it, parts of it were so funny. We have a motorhome, and can really relate to what is written. Ours hasn't quite reached the heights of the Campervan of Doom, although at times you wonder if it should be called an AutoTRIAL, rather than an AutoTRAIl!

It's difficult to write an account of travelling without it being a boring catalogue of been here, done that, but Brian Burke has totally succeeded, and created a riveting account of their travels, as well as giving lots of really useful information - I had no idea of the hazards of the drop down bed as regards one's rear portion!!

I was heartbroken when the end came, as I was hoping for much, much more, and I hope one day they might do it again??? In the meantime, make sure you recommend this to all your motorhoming and travelling friends, so they can enjoy it too!!

Please write MORE, Brian!!
on 10 March 2013
I'm loving this book. As a caravanner this appealed to me and I've not been disappointed. Written with humour it chronicles two years of travel- giving insights into so many countries customs(including drinking) Gemima the Hymer is a nightmare on wheels but due to the writing this adds to the fun......although I do wonder what happened to poor Eddie the lizard?? Did he escape or did Gemima eat him? will we ever know?
As one of our dreams is travel round Europe when my husband retires I will keep this as a reference book.
Definitely worth reading- I've recommended this to some of our fellow caravanners. Even if you don't caravan it is a good easy comical read and I've learned a lot about Europe - especially the Eastern part.