4.0 out of 5 stars The Man in the Snow
Published on 12 Dec. 2012 by Steve D

3.0 out of 5 stars The man in the snow
I am a huge fan of the John Shakespeare series of books so was rather disappointed with this clearly written for Kindle episode. It was an easy and very quick read without the depth of the full length novels. Enjoyable but not with the depth of characterisation nor the complexity of John Shakespeare 1-4.
Published 13 months ago by catherine kinsella

4.0 out of 5 stars The Man in the Snow, 12 Dec. 2012
Steve D (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Man in the Snow (John Shakespeare) (Kindle Edition)
Over the course of the last twelve months I've read the first three of Rory Clements's 'John Shakespeare' novels and he has quickly overtaken C J Sansom as my favourite writer of historical crime/mystery novels. I think a lot of this has to do with him writing in third person, which means he can use different character viewpoints, whereas Sansom uses first person, meaning he sometimes has to come up with rather convoluted ways of getting his creation, Matthew Shardlake, into situations that further his stories. I also like the tone of Clements's writing, which has a briskness to it that works very well for both the characters and the pacing. So I was really pleased when I saw this novella was being released, especially with only a little over a month until his fourth JS novel, Traitor, gets its paperback release

For all its brevity, The Man in the Snow still manages to include a lot of what makes the novels so much fun. Obviously, it is not as deep and the characterisation is done with broader, quicker brushstrokes, but the essence of John Shakespeare's world is still there, even if his arch nemesis, the wonderfully obsessed and vicious priest hunter Sir Richard Topcliffe, makes only a cameo appearance. There are a few suspects for the murder, that of a young Moor - shot in the back and left buried in the snow outside the walls of London, all of whom have a motive. There's a bit of action, and a lot of snow. In fact, the snow is the only Christmasy thing in the story, which amused me considering it says it's a 'John Shakespeare story for Christmas', lol ;)

I found it an enjoyable, quick read, with some intrigue and danger thrown in and, whilst I'd never recommend it over and above the novels, it's a nice way of keeping the interest going, and worth the £1.99 asking price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good short story, 2 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Man in the Snow (John Shakespeare) (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed this short story. It is a good mystery and I look forward to more Shakespeare adventures in the future.

3.0 out of 5 stars The man in the snow, 3 Jan. 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Short but very enjoyable, 20 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Man in the Snow (John Shakespeare) (Kindle Edition)
“The man in the snow” is a short e-book featuring John Shakespeare.

When a body is found in the snow, it leads Shakespeare and Boltfoot to the rather unwelcoming household of the Earl of Oxford and a tale of murder and espionage begins to unravel.

I am rather vague about the plot as some of the characters of this book are mentioned in “The Heretics” so I don’t want to spoil any plot there.

Before reading this book I looked as to where this book fell into the actual John Shakespeare series and the website said it was 5.5 which I took to mean that I should read after book 5 (The Heretics) which I did. Unfortunately, after reading it, it appears (in my opinion) it should actually be read before book 5 because of one line in the e-book.

Anyway, that aside, “The man in the snow” was a very enjoyable book and it kept me gripped until the very end – I only wish that the story had been developed into a full length novel.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too short, 30 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Man in the Snow (John Shakespeare) (Kindle Edition)
I appreciate this is meant to be short, would have liked more! Would still recommend it to all Clements fans.

3.0 out of 5 stars not as expected., 26 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Man in the Snow (John Shakespeare) (Kindle Edition)
I didn't realise it was an e-book. Consequently it was shorter than his usual novels and not as complicated a story. It was an easy quick read that is all.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 30 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Man in the Snow (John Shakespeare) (Kindle Edition)
I chose this book as my first Kindle book as I have read other Rory Clements novels, which I enjoyed. It was on similar lines, well written, but just when I was wondering where the plot was going, it ended! Well, is was cheap to buy, so I suppose I should have realized, you only get what you pay for! It won't stop me buying other Rory Clements books, but I was disappointed it was so short.

3.0 out of 5 stars What!!, 17 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Man in the Snow (John Shakespeare) (Kindle Edition)
I have enjoyed the other books in this series but this one left me a little cold? It was as if the end came all too quickly and Rory Clements had to finish the manuscript by a deadline and got it done so the ending came all of a sudden and he had his felon without the clues. Sorry lost the plot on this one but I will read the next one.

3.0 out of 5 stars A very quick read, 1 July 2013
This review is from: The Man in the Snow (John Shakespeare) (Kindle Edition)
This felt like a short story - it was a very quick read and didn't really pull me in. I like the John Shakespeare books by Rory Clements, but this one us an eBook and I somehow got the feeling that it was a publisher's reject - it just wasn't up to standard

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!!, 7 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Man in the Snow (John Shakespeare) (Kindle Edition)
Superb story, you are right in there with John Shakespeare, very atmospheric, a really good read!! Would really recommend this book.

The Man in the Snow (John Shakespeare)