4.0 out of 5 stars Caligula's Roman world brought to life!
You know that you're about to embark on a new year full of fine books when it kicks off with the publication of a novel by Robert Fabbri, one of the best writers of historical fiction about today. Vespasian, the 1st-century AD general who against all odds survived a succession of Rome's most nutty emperors to don the purple himself, is a worthy subject for a series of...
Published 24 months ago by Kate

3.0 out of 5 stars False God of Rome
A little slow in places but a really strong last third. Cannot wait for the next one. Death to Caligula
Published 20 months ago by Dazz Upton

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, 1 Oct 2013
This review is from: False God of Rome: VESPASIAN III (Kindle Edition)
As ever Robert Fabbri delivers. This book reads as if it was modern day, through the perfect use of Fabbri's interpretation and his ability to take you through a real drama. It has got to the stage, I just need to see his name and I will buy the book. Just started Fallen Eagle, can't wait to get into this story

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 25 Sep 2013
This review is from: False God of Rome: VESPASIAN III (Kindle Edition)
I love this guy's writing. Great plot, great characters, Vivid descriptions and a story line that keeps you turning the pages.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, and lots of real history, 22 Sep 2013
This review is from: False God of Rome: VESPASIAN III (Kindle Edition)
This book is fiction but set within real historical times and events. If you like all things Roman a treat to read. Well written and accurate scene setting using actual Roman characters we have heard of in history.

4.0 out of 5 stars False God of Rome., 19 Sep 2013
This review is from: False God of Rome: VESPASIAN III (Kindle Edition)
Spinechilling and horrifically true, reading the reports written at the time. We accept that Caligula was evil but tend to overlook exactly how evil he was.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Fabbri, 11 Sep 2013
This review is from: False God of Rome: VESPASIAN III (Kindle Edition)
This is the first Fabbri that I read and I did not feel lost having not the read the books in order.
Robert Fabbri is fantastic. He is not the usual Roman themed writer as it is well written. It is not for children. It does not shy away from the gritty, gory or sexy parts of the Roman world. It does talk a lot of the military aspect but also has a lot of content about the social, political parts of the Roman world. As a Roman archaeologist I enjoyed it immensely.

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid instalment in the series, 4 Sep 2013
This review is from: False God of Rome: VESPASIAN III (Kindle Edition)
This instalment in the author's tale of the life of Vespasian is a bit of a mixture. As some other reviewers have pointed out, it does get very explicit at times: I was not offended by the detail, but felt unsure as to whether it was actually necessary. Yes, I can understand that the author had to impress on us that Caligula was so much more morally bankrupt than the rest of Rome, but I think it could have been done in a more subtle way.
Unlike some other reviewers, I think his treatment of early Christianity, and Paul in particular, made an interesting sub-plot. They would indeed have been seen by the authorities as a group of trouble makers - one amongst many - and dealt with accordingly.
Overall, an interesting read, and a good addition to the series. It did seem at times as though the author was filling time until he could get back to Vespasian's military career, which I suspect will follow in the next volume.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting great historical fiction writing., 3 Sep 2013
This review is from: False God of Rome: VESPASIAN III (Kindle Edition)
This author has the ability to make even history thrilling! Each book takes the reader deeper into ancient Rome and into the life of the only Emperor to die of natural causes in the whole of the Roman era.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love this story - brought to life well and great story line., 26 Aug 2013
This review is from: False God of Rome: VESPASIAN III (Kindle Edition)
I know that some of these Rome era books get a bit of criticism with this writing style; in using modern English for certain aspects such as titles or swearing or other words that have since arisen in English from non Latin origin, but I really don't care - and anyhow, if we needed to be totally accurate it would be written in old Latin. Regardless, the feel of the era is there, the story is engrossing and the characters are well constructed (I think Magnus is great and my mind's eye sees 'Titus Pullo' from 'Rome' when I read about him).

My only slight criticism is that the plot slows to a crawl some times with the intricacies of who's doing what to whom and how, but that may be my boyish brain wanting to get stuck into some gruesomeness.

All in all the history seems to my layman's eye to be fairly well on track, but all said and done, I couldn't put it down and can't wait for the next installment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great story, 19 Aug 2013
This review is from: False God of Rome: VESPASIAN III (Kindle Edition)
Yet again another great written story from Robert Fabbri. I can't wait to see what comes next for our hero Vespasian. Great work Mr Fabbri.

4.0 out of 5 stars A book well worth reading, 18 Aug 2013
Richie (Staffs, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: False God of Rome: VESPASIAN III (Kindle Edition)
I was engrossed while reading this book even though I found parts distasteful I recognised it was in keeping with the kind of actions carried out at the time. The characters are at the heart of the story making you feel you know them even if they are not very nice. I am very much looking forward to reading the next book in the series.

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›